Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Battery assisted bikes on Strava

What are the 'rules' for claiming a KOM using a battery assisted bike?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

barbarus | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm imagining that saliva is autocorrect for strava. If so, I like it! I also love strava, but I don't trust everyone on it. I was in Spain last summer and wanted to do some running, some of the course records were clearly by motorbike or car.

The _Kaner | 6 years ago
1 like

Pretty sure there are more than a few moped users round my way uploading to Strava...couldn't give two hoots...if they're not assisted...they should be riding with the pros... 

I'm only trying to improve/match on my own 'leg powered times'...I'm no threat to any other Strava user.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
1 like

I've always used Map my Ride, I found it before I heard of Strava. And I agree, anyone so insecure they'd put an e-bike ride up as a normal one would have to me a massive cockwomble.

mike the bike replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

guyrwood wrote:

I've always used Map my Ride, I found it before I heard of Strava. And I agree, anyone so insecure they'd put an e-bike ride up as a normal one would have to me a massive cockwomble.

I'm not so sure Guy.  There is a certain perverse satisfaction to be had when the others know you are cheating but can't prove it.  After all, it's only Saliva, it's not like it matters or anything. 

tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
1 like

There's actually a drop down menu guyrwood when you upload your file, you have to choose the activity type. eBike is one of the selections, like skiing, yoga etc. That activity then has it's own set of segments and leaderboards etc. 

Can't believe you're not on Strava! How come?

offshore_dave replied to tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
0 likes

unconstituted wrote:

There's actually a drop down menu guyrwood when you upload your file, you have to choose the activity type. eBike is one of the selections, like skiing, yoga etc. That activity then has it's own set of segments and leaderboards etc. 

Can't believe you're not on Strava! How come?

I was just wondering as I have just had a couple of my KOMs nicked by someone who has a picture of a battery powered bike on their profile  1

It's no huge deal but a bit annoying if its going to become a regular habit! 

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Why not do what unconstitied said, upload it but make it a rule that you must put (e-bike) after your name (or kit, I don't use Strava)?

tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
1 like

What's the issue?

When you upload your ride, you upload as e-bike. Take all the KOMs you want. Why would that be a problem?

You're not suggested uploading a motorised ride as a normal bike ride? What sort of dickhead would do that. Doubt you're suggesting that, can't imagine anyone lacking that much self-awareness. 

Leviathan | 6 years ago
2 likes

There  aren't any. 

That is to say; you shouldn't do it because powered vehicle are not allowed (ie. recording in a car) and can be flagged by other users. However that is down to the keen eyed looking to protect their KOMs and analysing your performance and flagging it. But it could be hard for someone else to tell if you are using an e-bike and the assist could be subtle, the speed is not excessive and your route not indicative (don't do 70kph down an A-road, Cav hits 73, I know you can't do it.)

Basically, it is against the spirit of Strava but no one is really policing it. If you have to use an e-bike, just keep your rides private and off the leaderboards. 

Latest Comments