Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rear wheel slipping under load

I've had a bit of an issue with the rear wheel on my Mango Point AR frameset that I built up over winter.

Previously, I had some basic cup and cone wheels in, since replaced with Cosine 23mm disc wheels. Both wheelsets have suffered slipping when I'm hammering it uphill, so much so that the wheels pulled out a twice (most recently knocking my wheel out of true!).

I've bought a new QR skewer, an Ultegra internal cam type, and I've roughed up the surface of the rear hanger to try and make it more grippy. I've also bought some Ritchey Liquid Torque.

Hopefully I'll be getting the wheel back this weekend and I'm going to try it with all the above items and a lot more clamping force.

Don't suppose anyone has any miracle solutions to a very frustrating problem? I love the bike otherwise, really great frameset for commuting/winter riding!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Fish_n_Chips | 6 years ago
0 likes

Contact your supplier and take it easy till they fix it.

Try a different QR?

nniff | 6 years ago
0 likes

I had a problem with this. Putting some grease on the cam of the qr makes it easier to do it up really tight.  not had a problem since

Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
1 like

I've had this issue with both titanium and chromed dropouts.

Cutting a little disc of sandpaper and clamping through it solved the problem.

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
1 like

I just checked the Mango website and it appears that they've painted the dropouts inside and outside. Most framesets have these masked so the axle and skewer bed onto bare metal. Maybe that's the problem? You could try shaving the paint off the contact areas.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
1 like

Just checked the frame on the Mango website and it does appear to have somewhat forward pointing dropouts - very weird .

surly_by_name | 6 years ago
2 likes

Sorry - bit confused. Do you mean you've pulled the rear wheel out of the drop outs? I ask only because I am not sure how you could have managed this id the bike has vertical drop outs. (Maybe it doesn't?)

Canyon48 replied to surly_by_name | 6 years ago
0 likes

surly_by_name wrote:

Sorry - bit confused. Do you mean you've pulled the rear wheel out of the drop outs? I ask only because I am not sure how you could have managed this id the bike has vertical drop outs. (Maybe it doesn't?)

Thanks for the response chaps  1

The rear dropouts are at about 45 degrees to the horizontal (doesn't seem like the most sensible engineering design).

For some reason, it seems that I can create the perfect condition for the wheel to slip; braking hard downhill before accelerating fairly hard uphill and around a corner.

Re mango painting the frame dropouts; the paint has flaked off there and I've roughed up the area with some grit paper to try and make it more grippy.

Latest Comments