Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pinch flats with tubeless compatible rims?

I had my first ever pinch flat the other day, and it wasn't a snakebite.

Ultegra wheels, riding new Conti 4000s II 25c at around 90psi on the rear (80 front). Instead of rim tape, the Ultegra have this deep channel in the middle of the rim, and when I fitted the tubes, I wondered if it put them under extra stress.

I hit a rock doing doing 20mph-ish. My first thought was that I'd ripped the tyre, but it was only the tube. A quick change and I was back on the road.

However, I was wondering if the irregular seating actually added strain to the tubes. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

kevvjj | 6 years ago
0 likes

Nothing to do with the rim profile. In fact I'd wager there is less strain on the tube since it isn't trying to squeeze the rim tape down spoke holes in the rim. Pinch flats happen.

Richard1982 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think you were just unlucky. I frequently ride on 80psi on 23c tyres so I'm not convinced it's the pressure thats the problem.

dottigirl | 6 years ago
1 like

No, I don't want to move over, that wasn't my question.

I'm also fully aware of how tubeless works, thanks.

CXR94Di2 replied to dottigirl | 6 years ago
0 likes

dottigirl wrote:

Heretic, send her a pair solid tyre wheelsyes

peted76 replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

dottigirl wrote:

Heretic, send her a pair solid tyre wheelsyes

You do want to move over to tubeless, you just don't realise it yet  3

dottigirl replied to peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

You do want to move over to tubeless, you just don't realise it yet  3

Nope. I'm a 4000s girl, and Conti don't do tubeless.

I'm yet to see anything perform as well as the 4000s II downhill on wet tarmac. I've left behind riders on Schwalbe, etc. 

You may say differently, but I'm sticking to what I feel safest on, despite the odd mechanical.

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

The fact the rims are tubeless compatible shouldn't have any bearing on pinch flats. 

Just unlucky I guess, lower pressures with tubes in will be more susceptible (!spelling?) to pinch flats. 

As my man above says, if you'd been running tubeless at that time at those pressures you'd have been fine. I run tubeless, and can't go back to tubes now, I'm too far gone, in too deep, past the point of no return, in for a penny... you get the message.

I've stopped carring a spare tube also, now I carry a half filled 60ml bottle of sealant and a couple of cannisters instead.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

Move over to tubeless.

Carry a spare tube(in case of huge hole), gas inflators, small top up bottle of Stans sealant.  I have not had a failure with tubeless where I needed to fit an inner tube.   The occasions where i had an issue was a slow puncture, which I topped up at the rest point, so didnt actually need to stop.  Carried on riding with puncture, I couldnt find the problem resolved itself for the rest of the trip.

Latest Comments