Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cyclocross handlebar recommendations - 46cm

I've been riding my Arkose 3 for a few months now and raced some cross races during winter, after not having a road or cross bike for years - been riding MTBs.  Since having my new bike the bars have felt too narrow.  My bike is a medium Arkose and has 42cm drops.  I also don't like the flat sections of the drops as I can't seem to get a good position on them. 

Everything I've read seems to indicate I need them so my hands are inline with my shoulders or slighly wider if you ride cross or off road.  I've been looking on line but I can't see that much choice with wider bars!

So I'm looking for some wider bars preferably 46cm, compact style with slight flare and aluminium - cheapish £30ish. 

Can anyone recommend some? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

rutland | 7 years ago
0 likes

Some manufacturers, Deda for example, size their bars outside-to-outside. Whereas others, like Zipp, measure their bars center-to-center at the lever position.  

Zipp Service Course SL-70 are compact and have a 4-degree outsweep / flare and in size 44 would be slightly wider than size 46 Deda Zero-100 bars.

FWIW I have Deda and Zipp bars on my various bikes and, though they're a bit over your budget, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for CX.

tugglesthegreat replied to rutland | 7 years ago
0 likes

rutland wrote:

Some manufacturers, Deda for example, size their bars outside-to-outside. Whereas others, like Zipp, measure their bars center-to-center at the lever position.  

Zipp Service Course SL-70 are compact and have a 4-degree outsweep / flare and in size 44 would be slightly wider than size 46 Deda Zero-100 bars.

FWIW I have Deda and Zipp bars on my various bikes and, though they're a bit over your budget, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for CX.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to drop handlebars. I was looking at the FSA Omega Compact, but I was put off as they seemed to be only available in 44, but I now see that that is 44cm Centre-to-centre, so should be about the same as 46 in other manufaturers?!

I'm flexible on the price a little as I want to get the right ones for the job.

. . | 7 years ago
0 likes

I found the choice of 46cm bars limited.  I ended up with some Easton EC70's which I picked up in a sale for about £80.  They seem fully competent if unremarkable bars.  I see CRC have the EA70 for £30 at the mo.

Latest Comments