Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Worn chainrings?

Hello all, can I have your thought on whether or not these chainrings need replacing? 3600 miles on my winter bike, on the same chain and cassette. I know I've not replaced the chain (and cassette) soon enough, I'll keep a better eye on the next one, but do I need to replace the chainrings too?

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/MrMajic1974/embed/slideshow/"></iframe> 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Fish_n_Chips | 7 years ago
0 likes

Keep your running gear clean to avoid grinding paste syndrome yes

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Fish_n_Chips | 7 years ago
0 likes

Fish_n_Chips wrote:

Keep your running gear clean to avoid grinding paste syndrome yes

Thats my sin on my commuter bike... It gets used all year in all weathers and doesn't get cleaned anywhere near enough.

I'm doing well to get 7000 miles out of a big chainring.

rnick | 7 years ago
2 likes

Sticking a new chain on may help in bringing out any wear issues. I've just changed the 105 drivetrain on my bike, 2 winters 10k miles and chain number 3 - the new chain slipped dramatically, I headed towards the hedge. Change cassette, same happens again. Changed the chainset and all is OK now. There's not much in the way of teeth on a shimano chainset, so it's hard to tell when worn out. Oh, the crazy way of shimano pricing means a few quid more gets you a whole chainset, if you can find one instock.

TypeVertigo replied to rnick | 7 years ago
3 likes

rnick wrote:

Oh, the crazy way of shimano pricing means a few quid more gets you a whole chainset, if you can find one instock.

Agreed, which is why replacing chainrings might make less sense compared to replacing the entire crank.

OP - Your chainrings are fresh. Put more miles into 'em. I'd worry more about wear on the chain and cassette - compared to those, chainring wear is much, much slower.

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

+1 to behindthebikesheds. They Look almost new. When you get significant burring and sharktooth appearance then look at replacing. I do plenty of racing and myc chainrings last  in the region of 12000 - 15000 miles. This is probably controversial here, but I can' t see any reason why worn chainrings would hasten the wear rate on any of the rest of the drivetrain (chain included) so unless shifting performance is affected, carry on  1

beezus fufoon replied to madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

madcarew wrote:

+1 to behindthebikesheds. They Look almost new. When you get significant burring and sharktooth appearance then look at replacing. I do plenty of racing and myc chainrings last  in the region of 12000 - 15000 miles. This is probably controversial here, but I can' t see any reason why worn chainrings would hasten the wear rate on any of the rest of the drivetrain (chain included) so unless shifting performance is affected, carry on  1

I agree - if you don't race you might even double that

the problem is when you get the chain sucked into the gap between the chainrings and the chainstay and then have to yank it back out - especially if the chainstay is made of a softer material than the chain, it's not pretty

MrMajic replied to beezus fufoon | 7 years ago
2 likes

beezus fufoon wrote:

madcarew wrote:

I agree - if you don't race you might even double that

the problem is when you get the chain sucked into the gap between the chainrings and the chainstay and then have to yank it back out - especially if the chainstay is made of a softer material than the chain, it's not pretty

Thanks again, that's my aluminium winter trainer so it doesn't get anywhere near the start line! Glad to hear it's not going to cost me a chainring. I've found an app that reminds me by email at a given mileage to check my chain, so I ll keep on top of this one. Strava really should tweak the component tracking to include it. 

BehindTheBikesheds | 7 years ago
0 likes

Barely touched, you've got thousands of miles left in those.

ktache | 7 years ago
0 likes

You buy a new chain, you go out and whenever you put down power it does the clunky thing.  You need a new cassette.

You fit that, you go out and whenever you put down power you get the clunky thing.  You need at least one new chainring.  Try another. Clunky?

You buy new chainrings.  And a chain checker.

Then it happens again and you tell yourself that you must use the chain checker much more.

And change the chain more too.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Agree, they look fine.

MrMajic | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks folks, that's my winter bike and I fully acknowledge I should've cleaned the drivetrain and changed the chain long ago. I will keep better maintenance on that bike next winter. 

I'll  give this crankset ago on the new chain and cassette that is fitted. 

Nick T | 7 years ago
0 likes

Looks fine, chainrings last a good while. 

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

Google how to tell if chain rings are worn and you will see that yours are nowhere near. Are you having any symptoms or issues? Did you change your chain already? Did you clean your drive chain components often?

It seems you wear out three chains to one cassette and three cassettes to one chain ring as a rule of thumb and if you change your chain before it gets too worn. So nine chains to one chain ring... 

Latest Comments