Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pothole Success!

Hi all, just wanted to share some good news. Reported a pothole just over a week ago in Monmouthshire and it has been fixed. Not only that, they took notice of my comments regarding poor surfaces nearby and fixed those as well. 

So get reporting it can work.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Redvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

There are a few in Pill under the railway vidauct, that have been reported for at least three years but North Somerset Council only repair them if considered dangerous. They are at the deepest point 1" deep. 

I hit a pothole that I was aware of but at the time I was avoiding a lane changing driver and damaged a rim. I reported it and said I'd suffered damage to my bike and it was fixed within 36 hours but no recourse for my damaged rim.

Man of Lard | 7 years ago
0 likes

It's also very handy to remind the highway authority of their duty under Section 56 of the Highways Act (1980) - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/56

Section 149 looks interesting in terms of forcing hedge-cutting farmery bastards to sort their mess out too... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/149 - shame most highway authorities work on a geological time scale.

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
1 like

Reporting generally does work. It makes the highway authority legally liable. Unless they've been notified of a defect they generally can't be held liable for it, so when they're told (assuming you give an accurate report) then they usually will fix it. Sometimes very poorly as BB notes above (Glasgow is also awful for this) but it's easy to re-report on www.fillthathole.org.uk.

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

I reported one in Southampton. They fixed it, 3 weeks later it's twice the size it was. 

huntswheelers | 7 years ago
0 likes

They have marked up and bodged "fixed" some Potholes here in Cambridgeshire......some 3-4 years post reporting..... mind you there is the County Council Elections in early May....yeah yeah....cycnic....but it happens every time

LastBoyScout | 7 years ago
0 likes

Better than Reading, then - still not fixed after over 2 years!

ChrisB200SX replied to LastBoyScout | 7 years ago
0 likes

LastBoyScout wrote:

Better than Reading, then - still not fixed after over 2 years!

some of the potholes on my commute past the hospital, and also around the uni are lethal. I've been meaning to take a slow ride and report all of them... It could take me quite some time and that's just my 3 mile commute!

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Excellent stuff! I've only report one in Trafford, Manchester, and it's still there .

Latest Comments