Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Genesis Equilibrium (non-disc) equivalents?

I've been tinkering with my ideal road bike build for a while, although am still a couple of months off being able to afford it.

I want to build a bit of an all-rounder based around a Campag Potenza groupset, some handbuilt Record hubs on the new Mavic Open Pro rims, some TRP long drop brakes, and 28mm GP4000s.

I've been very picky about what I want from the frame:

- 'Sportive' geometry (basically no longer or lower than my old Synapse)

- Non disc 

- Steel or aluminium

- Decent tyre clearance (ideally 28mm with guards).

- £500ish

The only match is the Genesis 725 Equilibrium, which looks lovely and I like the brand, but I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything else, perhaps with a more exciting paint job or lighter weight (would need to be aluminium I guess).

Anyone know of anything?

Ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

IanEdward | 7 years ago
0 likes

Wow, I love that Wolfson frame, all the benefits of the Holdsworth Competition and 853...

Slightly funky geometry though, definitely lower than the Equilibrium for the same length, nothing a set of Hover bars couldn't fix.

I agree that 28s are by no means necessary, but I do like to throw myself into corners and ride some really rough roads (don't we all...).

Anecdotally, the Holdsworth Competition seems to win in that respect, one owner's review suggested 30s might even fit.

But I can't help but feel the Light Blue or the Equilibrium might be a tiny bit sturdier, I have memories of the huge dent in the top tube of my mates Columbus Steel frame..

All good food for thought, thanks all.

HowardR | 7 years ago
1 like

The only suggestion that I can add to those made above would be one of the ‘Light Blue’ frames’

http://www.lightbluecycles.co.uk/Sport/frames

I can, however, personally recommend the Equilibrium (with the caveat that mines a 2014 & so it’s shape is very slightly different) Out of all my bikes this is probably the one that has the ‘sweetest’ ride with a very grin inducing combination of response & comfort.  

Although the Equilibrium will takes 28’s I wouldn’t be too concerned about the need to fit them. I can’t help but wonder if the trend for 28’s is due to carbon fibre/aluminium stiffness?

pashtag | 7 years ago
0 likes

I looked at the Ribble but was put off by the 25mm tyre clearance. I have been riding 28s (Gatorskins) all winter on my Langster and am a convert.

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes
IanEdward | 7 years ago
0 likes
IanEdward | 7 years ago
0 likes

That's interesting re: the Spa Audax, especially on tyre clearance, will have a closer look. Have never really paid much attention to seat tube angles but will give it a closer look.

I've just had confirmation back from Genesis that the Equilibrium can indeed only take a max 28c tyre which is a shame, I had it in my head it could take bigger.

Technically my Synapse could take 28s as well but there was a suspicious amount of rub marks on the side of the rear tyre which suggested it was a little close for comfort, maybe it was just the cheap and flexy Shimano wheels it had on it!

Having said that I was never actually unhappy with 25s, but if I'm restricting myself to 25s I could start looking at aluminium non-disc road bikes like the Rose XEON GF which looks great and is pretty light to boot.

Decisions decisions...

pashtag | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm waiting for someone to tell us what they think of the Spa Audax, reading other forums the frame is significantly lighter than a Genesis 725 (less than 2kg), however for me the seat tube is quite a relaxed angle - 72.5 deg opposed to a 74 which I would normally ride, however this can always be offset by pushing the saddle forward.  Cheap too, but only available in two colours.  The good thing is you can get 28s on with mudguards, or so they say.

I have their tourer, which is somewhat heavier, I like the way it rides, the price and the little details on it (like bottle cage bosses under the downtube - even if I am not going to use them).  The 72 deg seat tube means my saddle is quite far forward but this offsets the long top tube.  I will soon be fitting an inline seatpost.

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Canyon Endurace?

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Canyon Endurace?

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

Haven't tried mudguards on my 725-tubed Genesis but  am very happy with it.

Planet X have ressurected the Holdsworth name. Might be worth a look:

www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/frames/road-bike-frames/steel-bike-frames

IanEdward | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ah, excellent, I had missed the Thorn Audax. 

Almost perfect bike, although it sounds like it would be more than half a kilogram heavier than the genesis. I did like the paint jobs though, the Fuschia would go well with my current commuter! (a bright pink Charge Plug)

Difficult to judge geometries, I've gone from ETT and headtube lengths to only understanding stack and reach! Will have to take a closer look.

That said, I think I'm still sold on the Genesis, although I do wonder about tyre clearances, I was sure they could take 28mm now but wonder if I'm getting confused with the disc brake model...

Rod Marton | 7 years ago
1 like

Kinesis Racelight

Spa Audax

Thorn Audax

Hewitt Aravis

Having suggested these alternatives, I must add that I've been riding an Equilibrium for a few years now and would thoroughly recommend it. The only issue you may have is that it is a struggle to fit 28mm tyres with mudguards - possible, but the clearances are very tight indeed. If you really want to ride 28s, it might be better to look at one of the others.

Latest Comments