Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Workshop Question..

Yo

My daily drive is my CAAD X, it has the standard CX2 rims and Formula hubs. The rear one sounds proper farked, it started sounding a bit grindy, but now makes a right racket!

What are my options....? Can I fix it myself?

I don't mind spending money if I have to, but I think I'd be better off buying a new wheelset, wouldn't I?

I quite like these: http://www.acycles.co.uk/mavic-aksium-d ... ustom-info
Mainly as they're cheap and I have heard of Mavic!

I know I need 6 bolt QR, but no idea about the rest of the measurements...

Please could someone help me out?

NB. I have totally upgraded the groupset on this bike, so I can do stuff, just don't know about all the measurements!

Oh, also happy to buy new tryes for the wheels too!

Thanks a lot

Andrew  [:)]

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

drewesq | 7 years ago
1 like

I just pulled the trigger on some Fulcrum 5s, they seemed good vale, plus I had a voucher with Tredz. Will shod them with some (very) expensive GP 4 seasons too!

Might get the rear wheel fixed up for the winter though

matthewn5 replied to drewesq | 7 years ago
0 likes

drewesq wrote:

I just pulled the trigger on some Fulcrum 5s, they seemed good value, plus I had a voucher with Tredz.

Fulcrum 5s are great wheels, enjoy!

drewesq replied to matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

drewesq wrote:

I just pulled the trigger on some Fulcrum 5s, they seemed good value, plus I had a voucher with Tredz.

Fulcrum 5s are great wheels, enjoy!

That's good to know! They got good reviews and I think I got them for less than £230 with a voucher, so I'm pretty happy!

It's the first wheel upgrade I've done, I'm expecting big things!!  1

DaSy | 7 years ago
0 likes

A bike shop is going to charge probably £25 for the freehub (at least), £10 for the bearings and £20-30 to put it all together, so a bill of at least £50 for a fairly low spec wheel. The freehubs on those Formula hubs are weak and a regular failure point.

I would say that you are better spending your money on some new and better wheels. The choice you made of Mavic Aksium is a very good one, they are good value for their level of performance and are pretty tough too.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
1 like

Treat yourself to some new wheels if you want but it's a pretty routine job for your LBS to replace the freehub or bearings.

Latest Comments