Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon Seat Mast - Saddle Pack

Hi all,

it might be one of those questions where if you're asking, you probably know the answer deep down...

I have a Trek Emonda SL - so a carbon seat mast, not post. I'm planning on some bike packing this year (2-3 day trips) and know a frame bag will be fine, just need some helicopter tape on the frame; a bar roll may work, but its quite cable heavy at the front; but im wondering about a saddle pack.

The rider weight limit is just over 19st, i'm 12 - so i know theres no load issue. My concern is overloading the seat mast - would I get away with a seat pack? a MackWorkshop/restrap/apidura pack to be exact.

I know the standard statement is use an alloy post - not possible; and the other is, buy another bike... would if i could.

I wouldnt have asked but if anyone else is following the IndiPac, you'll see a lot of carbon with a lot of load, CyclingMaven for example.

cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Jackson | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've been wondering about the "correct" answer to this myself as I'm currently space-limited to one nice bike and I have to use it for touring too. I've done short trips with a seat pack on my carbon post without issue but I've been careful to keep it light.

If the mast is designed for 120kg swinging around on top of it you've gotta lean towards it'll be fine with 75kg + ~8kg swinging around on top of it at some slightly different angles. If it was me I'd do it, (with plenty of tape to avoid abrasion) but use the seat pack for bulky and light items (sleeping bag/jacket etc) and not push it by hanging the kitchen sink off the back.

My understanding is a carbon post is pretty simple item, just a uniform carbon tube (no different weaves going in different directions etc). The concern is a seat mast, especially on an Emonda SL, is probably a more complicated affair. Like you say, deep down you know the real answer but I'm sure you'd get away with it.

Latest Comments