Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ignorant,angry motorist in epic fail --video

This little medley of short videos shows an outburst by a driver today on the commute home.  I think it serves to illustrate the deep-rooted stupidity and ignorance that prevails among some motorists in their attitudes towards cyclists.

Video 1 :

Driver of black 4x4 overtakes on the approach to a red traffic light. Nothing wrong so far. Road in question has a cycle lane on the left but no segregation from other traffic. Approaching the lights a few seconds later I was conscious that the driver appeared to be deliberately moving into  the cycle lane as if to block me from passing up the inside- 10 years of bike commuting have taught me a sixth sense about when these sort of things are done deliberately or not. This was deliberate, and the following exchange made that obvious.

No provocation from me whatsoever here. I calmly tap on his window and point out he has blocked the cycle lane. He responds by shouting 'You came over the bridge at Stretford in the wrong fu*cking lane?'

Say what?

Video 2:

What he actually means is that about 2 miles before this he was waiting in some standing traffic and I filtered perfectly legally up the inside of it. This 2nd video shows me undertaking him here. His beef seems to be that the glass strewn footpath should have been where I was riding at this point and not on HIS bit of road. Presumably he makes this astonishing error of judgement as there is a 'cycle path' sign somewhere along it ,and cyclists can (but don't have to ) use it . That is, if they don't mind mixing it with pedestrians. Which I do mind, so I stay on the road. With me so far?

So going back to the first video I record his little rant and then decide to leave him with it but just after my camera goes off I bid him a cheery goodbye and he then makes the schoolboy error of driving off again. Unfortunately for him (and the lady in front of him) he failed to notice that the rest of the traffic wasn't moving. Only him. And you guessed it, he ran into the back of the woman in front with quite a bang. Oh dear!

Video 3:

I couldn't resist going back 30 seconds later (to gloat) to offer the woman my details as a witness which she politely declined.I decided to leave the old buffoon with it after he started poking me in the chest.Not worth a fight that one.

Video 1 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SD1sUVCmqw

Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFI-XxW27Ik

Video 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFOKTdWKKPg

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
6 likes

I'd recommend in future that you don't post videos to the public (though I appreciate why you want to ) but instead file a police report and send them the footage. In general, road users are not allowed to threaten or bully more vulnerable road users and if you fill in your report stating that you felt in danger (which you probably did) then they can go round to the driver's house and explain why his behaviour is unacceptable.

I think that if more cyclists use cameras and send footage to the police, it'll make motorists just a little bit more cautious and respectful around cyclists. If the police refuse to take an interest, then post it to forums.

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
4 likes

All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Idiots like this old codger need to be educated about their dangerous driving and ignorance. If enough people tell him, it might eventually sink in.

Annoyed i didn't get to see him crash though.

Russell Orgazoid | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not sure what all that acheives.

I run cameras too but just for my own witness if something happened.

Awavey | 6 years ago
1 like

Just ride carefully in Norwich on the roads, that poll result is disheartening, ~75% agreeing it seems in principle with Mr ranty motorist & whilst one of the cycle lanes as described sounds positively lethal  2 http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/should_cyclists_be_forced_to_use_mu...

ChrisB200SX replied to Awavey | 6 years ago
0 likes

Awavey wrote:

Just ride carefully in Norwich on the roads, that poll result is disheartening, ~75% agreeing it seems in principle with Mr ranty motorist & whilst one of the cycle lanes as described sounds positively lethal  2 http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/should_cyclists_be_forced_to_use_mu...

It's now at 64%.

Really sad that so many think cyclists should be obliged/forced to use cycle facilities they didn't ask for, don't think is safe and is generally inconvenient.

Bouncetastic replied to Awavey | 6 years ago
2 likes
Awavey wrote:

Some of those comments make me want to climb into the Internet and kick them where it hurts. Basically if you don't like people driving like morons you should stay at home? Wtf? I get held up by cyclists and they often pull onto the pavement or into a layby to allow me to pass safely without crossing the centre line. Something I'm very grateful for in a lorry. I would rather be stuck behind a cyclist for a few minutes and pass safely than force my way through and possibly kill them. I've seen a LOT of accidents and some of them were sadly fatal. Nobody leaves home in the morning with the intention of not returning

davel | 6 years ago
4 likes

...so the licensing system is at fault. Something must be. It seems insane to me that the majority of adults would be let loose with heavy machinery exhibiting that level of ignorance.

One of the worst indictments I can think of is that there is an entire market* for active cameras (GoPros etc) among commuting cyclists, just trying to get to work, who experience such alarming and dangerous behaviour from other road users that they go out and buy a £30/40+ camera to film it.

*no idea on the stats, but would hazard a guess that this is a significant segment of the wearable camera market too.

Bouncetastic replied to davel | 6 years ago
2 likes
davel wrote:

...so the licensing system is at fault. Something must be. It seems insane to me that the majority of adults would be let loose with heavy machinery exhibiting that level of ignorance.

One of the worst indictments I can think of is that there is an entire market* for active cameras (GoPros etc) among commuting cyclists, just trying to get to work, who experience such alarming and dangerous behaviour from other road users that they go out and buy a £30/40+ camera to film it.

*no idea on the stats, but would hazard a guess that this is a significant segment of the wearable camera market too.

People's attitudes are the problem and the training they receive whilst learning to drive which is the time they're most receptive. Too much of a hurry to get where they're going. Then they encounter one idiot cyclist/lorry driver/motorbike/horse rider and declare them all to be the same. It doesn't seem to occur to them that people get it wrong sometimes and it's not necessarily intentional. There"s so much anger on our roads it's disturbing. I drive with my doors locked both in my car and the waggon. I try to be considerate of everyone else on the road, I know it's frustrating to be stuck behind a lorry...... Sometimes though I do dream about what it would be like to just T bone their car down the road when they overtake me just to cut me off and turn left.......  3

kil0ran replied to Bouncetastic | 6 years ago
4 likes

Bouncetastic wrote:
davel wrote:

People's attitudes are the problem and the training they receive whilst learning to drive which is the time they're most receptive. Too much of a hurry to get where they're going. Then they encounter one idiot cyclist/lorry driver/motorbike/horse rider and declare them all to be the same. It doesn't seem to occur to them that people get it wrong sometimes and it's not necessarily intentional. There"s so much anger on our roads it's disturbing. I drive with my doors locked both in my car and the waggon. I try to be considerate of everyone else on the road, I know it's frustrating to be stuck behind a lorry...... Sometimes though I do dream about what it would be like to just T bone their car down the road when they overtake me just to cut me off and turn left.......  3

Everyone makes mistakes. As a cycle commuter I make a few but learning from your mistakes keeps you alive. My current MO is to try not to engage the cockwombles, if only because you're really vulnerable on a bike - can be difficult to get away if they take exception, or you can easily get shoved off, or your bike damaged such that you can't leg it. Difficult not to though as you're exercising so your adrenalin is already up plus you've been perhaps inches from death.

What I try to do is smile/wave/thumbs up the right sort of behaviour - i.e. wide passes, drivers actually looking at t-junctions, letting me through rather than squeezing me when they have a parked car on their side of the road. Doesn't always work but better than constantly yelling abuse.

rjfrussell replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
2 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Everyone makes mistakes. As a cycle commuter I make a few but learning from your mistakes keeps you alive. My current MO is to try not to engage the cockwombles, if only because you're really vulnerable on a bike - can be difficult to get away if they take exception, or you can easily get shoved off, or your bike damaged such that you can't leg it. Difficult not to though as you're exercising so your adrenalin is already up plus you've been perhaps inches from death.

What I try to do is smile/wave/thumbs up the right sort of behaviour - i.e. wide passes, drivers actually looking at t-junctions, letting me through rather than squeezing me when they have a parked car on their side of the road. Doesn't always work but better than constantly yelling abuse.

I SO agree with this. 

There are two big problems with any sort of reaction to (and I love this term) cockwombles.

One, they can make you dead very quickly.  Two, it is likely to just reinforce attitudes rather than change them.

I do think that obsequiously polite behaviour, and thanks for considerate actions from drivers is better.

I also think that those of us who cycle and drive owe a real duty to demonstrate superlative behaviour when driving (look into your soul- do you really do this?).  Make a point of only overtaking a cyclist when there is genuinely clear visibility and genuinely pull out as far as you would to pass a car.  I suspect if you really really do this, you will be amazed at how far you have to drive for a passing opportunity to arise.  But it is worth doing every time (a) because the cyclist you are passing deserves it and (b) it might just cause the drivers behind to think.

davel replied to rjfrussell | 6 years ago
2 likes
rjfrussell wrote:

it might just cause the drivers behind to think.

I think this is a worthy point.

Two of my colleagues I chat to most, both early 30s, male and reasonably active, wouldn't cycle to work because 'it's too dangerous'. Both are intelligent, considerate and open-minded and we've had a few chats about cyclist/motorist behaviour.

It's clear they're pretty cockwomblish in relation to cyclists (frustration at being 'held up', close passes, all cyclists should be in the cycle lane where they exist and hug the kerb where they don't). When I've pointed out the problems with those assumptions they've (seemingly - I don't know whether they drive any differently now) had a bit of an awakening: they didn't have a clue about the cyclist perspective.

The entrenched position of the moton is most likely due to sheer ignorance, IMHO. Again, I go back to the licensing system being at fault when a user can take one, two, three tons of heavy machinery onto the roads without getting the perspective of the more vulnerable users first.

OldRidgeback replied to Bouncetastic | 6 years ago
1 like

Bouncetastic wrote:
davel wrote:

Some car drivers are like this with other car drivers too. I was driving my son home from football practice on Friday evening and nearly home when a car turned out of a narrow opening on the other side of the road and swung out. I had to move over quickly to avoid our cars hitting each other. I don't blame the other driver for this as the opening was narrow and the person misjudged the turn slightly. But who I do blame is the person in the black Mercedes overtaking me in the inside lane while exceeding the speed limit who beeped his horn at me for having the temerity to try to avoid a collision. The angry guy in the Merc was A: overtaking on the inside and B: speeding. It would've been interesting to hear what the police would've said had we collided.

tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
5 likes

Yeah born and bred idiot right there. Could have been happily going about his day but decides to run you into the curb and give you a lecture about not using some cycle path?

No worries, he'll have a stroke soon then learn he needs to wind his neck in.

RPK | 6 years ago
3 likes

In video #1 at 0:16, I would have just waited behind the Merc.  Sure, he's blocking the lane being a douche, but the Volvo in front of him isn't giving much space either.

Leviathan | 6 years ago
6 likes

I enjoyed reading your write up but didn't watch the videos. I need to protect my heart. It gets a hammering every day from the morons I have to talk to at work. I don't need the stress.

Bouncetastic | 6 years ago
10 likes

Tbh I don't understand why you bothered interacting with him in the first place? He was a bit (lot) of a *insert preferred word here* but he's just one of many unfortunately. I get this a hundred times a day. I get coffee beans shaken at me, threats to kill, all round abuse. I generally smile and occasionally wave and let them get on with it. This level of hatred is not reserved only for cyclists, it also includes motorbikes and hgv's. Some people really believe they're the only ones that should be allowed on the road and sadly you can't fix stupid.

Grumpy17 replied to Bouncetastic | 6 years ago
5 likes

Bouncetastic wrote:

Tbh I don't understand why you bothered interacting with him in the first place? He was a bit (lot) of a *insert preferred word here* but he's just one of many unfortunately. I get this a hundred times a day. I get coffee beans shaken at me, threats to kill, all round abuse. I generally smile and occasionally wave and let them get on with it. This level of hatred is not reserved only for cyclists, it also includes motorbikes and hgv's. Some people really believe they're the only ones that should be allowed on the road and sadly you can't fix stupid.

I agree with all this and I don't make a habit of posting up these sort of things on here or anywhere else. I nearly always just let it go and you can see anyway that any anger and frustration was all on the driver's part,not mine.

But I was trying to show that bad relations between cylists and other road users just cannot ever be fixed based on this sort of level of ignorance.  Driver education will do nothing to help when there are so many bigoted,small-minded people on our roads.If I had blasted through a red light or charged through a pedestrian crossing he might have had grounds to  complain.But put simply, I did absolutely  nothing wrong to deserve foul language from this moron.

Bouncetastic replied to Grumpy17 | 6 years ago
4 likes
Grumpy17 wrote:

Bouncetastic wrote:

I agree with all this and I don't make a habit of posting up these sort of things on here or anywhere else. I nearly always just let it go and you can see anyway that any anger and frustration was all on the driver's part,not mine.

But I was trying to show that bad relations between cylists and other road users just cannot ever be fixed based on this sort of level of ignorance.  Driver education will do nothing to help when there are so many bigoted,small-minded people on our roads.If I had blasted through a red light or charged through a pedestrian crossing he might have had grounds to  complain.But put simply, I did absolutely  nothing wrong to deserve foul language from this moron.

Absolutely, I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I just don't let them spoil my day by lowering myself to acknowledging them. I take the view that the vast majority of people pull dangerous stunts on the road out of pure ignorance, they just aren't aware of the risks they're taking. You can't educate them, they will never get it, you have to put them in the other persons position and show them what they're doing. Years ago when I first started driving waggons I delivered to BMW in Oxford. There was another company sharing the same loading bay area. As I was waiting one day to unload I got chatting to a man from the other company who was waiting for a lift back with one of their drivers. He talked about all the stupid things car drivers did on the motorway and the near misses he'd seen as a passenger. I asked him how many of those dumb stunts he was guilty of before he'd had his first trip in a lorry...... he sheepishly admitted "all of them". He had no idea how close he came to dying on many occasions because he didn't know any better. And he'd never listened to hgv drivers that tried to tell him.

beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
5 likes

black 4x4 = terrorist

brooksby replied to beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
2 likes

beezus fufoon wrote:

black 4x4 = terrorist

I think it might be too soon for that...

JohnnyRemo | 6 years ago
5 likes

Jayzus H - what a load of self-righteous/self-promoting pish...

Grumpy17 replied to JohnnyRemo | 6 years ago
3 likes

JohnnyRemo wrote:

Jayzus H - what a load of self-righteous/self-promoting pish...

Ah too bad ya don't like it.

You're so cool and awesome with a name like Jonny Remo by the way.laugh

Kadinkski | 6 years ago
7 likes

Would have been good if you'd actually filmed the idiot crashing his two tonnes of steel.

ktache | 6 years ago
7 likes

Awww, I was hoping to see the crash.

Grumpy17 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Edit: Watching Video 2 again I have noticed that there is actually a  cycle lane painted on the bit of road I was riding on when i first passed him! So wtf was he on going about ?

Latest Comments