Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Just had an accident, now what?

On Saturday night I was cycling home from work on a very well lit main road in London, was passing a petrol station on my side of the road, a car coming in the opposite direction went to turn into the station without looking or seeing me despite high vis, two flashing front lights & plenty of street lighting. She t boned me with enough force to snap my carbon frame. I went over the car & landed directly onto my right shoulder.

A passing plain clothes police officer came along about 30 seconds after the impact & assisted. Sat me in his car & took the drivers details which he has since emailed me & then drove me to the hospital. An ambulance was called, the station officer arrived & told me I'd be waiting at least an hour for an ambulance hence the police took me to hospital.

Xray & ct scan of chest & shoulder showed two fractured ribs, a Comminuted fracture of my scapula & a fractured thumb. Essentially, scapula shattered into 6 pieces! A few superficial cuts to both legs & to my face. So lucky to have escaped a significant head, neck or pelvic injury.

My bike is a right off, my helmet is smashed, my garmin is broken & my clothes are shredded.

I spoke to wiggle legal & they seemed really helpful. No win no fee & a fee for successful claim of 25% which seems to be industry standard.

Has anyone had any experience with wiggle legal or any other solicitors good or bad? Any advice on what to consider in choosing & how to take this forward would be really really appreciated!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

steviewevie | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you're a British Cycling member then you can use their legal services and you won't have to pay any fees out of your compensation.

Wootton_Steve | 7 years ago
0 likes

First thing to check is if you are covered under a legal expenses policy. Check home buildings and contents and motor insurance which may provide cover. 

Secondly, if you can avoid it don't enter into a CFA as yet because you could hand over 25% of your damages just like that. 

Finally, call the car insurers and see if you can get an early position on liability. If you have an effective admission you can negotiate a lower CFA. Alternatively the insurance company could either deal direct or direct you to a solicitor on favourable terms. 

Finally, make sure you are absolutely straight when making your claim. If you exaggerate your symptoms, lie to the Dr or add an extra couple of grand to the value of your bike you could get nothing and a big fat bill from the solicitors for their time. 

Wishing you a speedy  recovery. 

RMurphy195 | 7 years ago
0 likes

2 yrs ago I had a similar accident but with less of an impact. There certainly was zero impact on the amount of compensation I received via the CTC (oops, cycling UK!) solicitors. I got the lot.

Do you have household - or even motor insurance - with legal assistance cover?

Arno du Galibier | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had a similar but much less serious incident 18 months ago. Came out with only broken ribs, bruised sides and a smashed healmet.

British Cycling and the law firm they employ were very good. The whole thing was sorted out in a few months.

I do recomend them. I don't know if/how much they took out of the settlement the money they told me the opposite party's insurance was willing to pay is what I got.

Going through the motions again after a car dooring incident a couple of weeks ago.

Hobo120 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the responses. It seems that 25% is the standard these days. I'll give British cycling a call & see what they think.
Thanks for the advice.

Bouncetastic | 7 years ago
1 like

25% is standard now since the government decided all whiplash claims were fraudulent. It's 25% of your total payout including loss of earnings not just the payout for your injuries. However, I believe if you are in a union they can do the claim for you and you keep 100%?

Redvee | 7 years ago
1 like

Try bikeline too aka Alyson France. When I needed their services 10+ years ago their fees were paid by the driver's insurance company. My accident sounds smiliar to yours, t-boned by a car and a going over the bonnet but luckily for me the only bones I broke were in my nasal cavity and some muscle strain.

dunnoh | 7 years ago
4 likes

I would phone British Cycling

dottigirl replied to dunnoh | 7 years ago
3 likes

dunnoh wrote:

I would phone British Cycling

Seconded. Even if you're not a current member, they'll probably be able to advise you.

25% sounds like quite a chunk.

Latest Comments