Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice on Direct Drive Turbo - new cassette or current bike cassette

Hi - I've just invested in a new direct drive smart turbo trainer but not sure whether to buy a new cassette or to use the current cassette on my bike.  I was speaking my LBS and they mentioned they had someone in with a Neo who was complaining of noise from the chain/cassette and it turned out to be due to the chain not being new.  They said that it is better to use the cassette off your bike to minimise this because the cassette and chain have worn together.  If not there could be problems using the bike afterwards on the road because the chain will wear with the new cassette on the direct drive.  

I havent come across  this when looking turbo reviews on the internet.  Does anybody have any experience or views on this?  New cassette or current bike cassette - I do have the benefit of a summer and winter bike so can leave it permenantly on the turbo.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Robj72 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the responses.  And yes Swiss that's exactly what I've done. Can't wait to get it all set up. 

Swiss | 7 years ago
1 like

Just buy another cassette for your turbo and stop thinking about it

racyrich | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm using 8 speed on my turbo bike on a Kickr2 turbo, all works OK. And since I mostly use erg mode I don't really have to change gear, so stay in the gear that runs best anyway.

SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
0 likes

For the price of a new Chorus cassette and chain I'd just buy a shit box bike (see <£300 bike review on road.cc) and just make the geometry and contact points the same as my summer bikes.

There you go, bosh a bike you can just train on rust the headset solid and not worry about any fatigue to your nice bikes, plus there's no hassle messing around with cassettes and you know each time you do you'll have to re index it.

That's what I'd do anyway

dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've been wondering about this. Most people I know use a turbo wheel, so a turbo cassette isn't much different.

The simple solution is to change your chain regularly so the cassette doesn't get worn. I try to do this after every 1000k-ish, and confirm with a chain tool that the stretch is still a way under 0.75 - some chains last less miles than others. 

So, IMO your best bet is to buy a chain tool and keep an eye on wear so you can change your chain before it gets too worn. Whether this is on the road or not.

HLaB | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm using a DD turbo and I use a separate cassete on this as to my curent cassette.  Its a lot less hassle and you only have to do the dirty job of changing the cassette once (not before and after every session) and its seems to fine.

fenix | 7 years ago
0 likes

If your chain hasnt worn then either option should work.

If you use the chain after its stretched then yeah your cassette wears too.

barongreenback | 7 years ago
1 like

I don't use a turbo but by that logic are they advocating replacing your cassette every time you replace your chain?   Doesn't seem to make sense. 

Latest Comments