Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Beginner bike choice between Defy and TCR.

Hi all.

New to road riding and after what feels like a million hours of looking through every bike on the planet and reading all sorts of different reviews the information has finally become too much for me to keep on top of!

Im a keen mountain biker and have recently purchased an enduro bike and love spending as much time as possible out on it.

However... I do not love the hour+ drive to get to somewhere decent on it every time I want to get out and after speaking to a few people, a road bike seems the best solution to keep me fit and also get out more on the bike.

I have narrowed it down to the latest Defy Advanced and TCR Advanced from Giant and am struggling to choose one.

I am in no rush to run out and grab one right now as the cycle to work scheme in work will be back around in a few months and I will top up the extra money on top of that.

I am thinking of buying one road bike to last a long time. I have settled on the idea of disk brakes and I would prefer a carbon frame. Basically I want to spend a decent ammount (upto £2000) and get something that wont need upgrading any time soon.

Is the TCR too hardcore for a beginner/ is the Defy too soft once you really get into it. I wont be entering any races but I can almost guarentee I will end up trying to compete with my friends who ride road bikes and already am getting sucked into strava even on the mountain bike!

What would your recommendations be on either of these bikes for a beginner? The main use is for fitness and fun. I will be riding with experienced riders at times but also going out alone more often.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

shogun337 | 6 years ago
0 likes

The Defy will be a bit more versatile; with wider range gearing, ability to have a higher position for less neck strain, and probably accept a little bigger rubber.  No downsides really.  But it would be good to ride both to see what you think- although things like saddle positioning (fore/aft) and stem lenght can make BIG difference in how the bike feels to you.    The bikes should be set up approximately the same for you to make an informed decisionneed to be set uphow the bike is set up   

Re: wanting carbon rather than aluminum- if you can find a nice aluminum frame there is not too much difference in ride quality.   I have a high end carbon Trek, and Trek's aluminum ALR.  Hard for me to tell the difference.  Any ride quality difference can be offset by lowering tire pressure by 5 pounds.    If you can get a high quality aluminum frame (such as offered by Cannondale, Trek and Specialized) for significantly less than a comparably equiped carbon frame; that would be the way I'd go.   The good aluminum frames are about a half- 3/4 pound heavier than a  nice carbon frame (I define nice as frames found on bikes in 3-5 thousand dollar range.  not top of line, close to the top of line carbon frame of that company).

The reason I would choose the nice aluminum frame over the carbon frame, is to save my budget for  better wheels- or a spare set. 

Wheels are something to consider upgrading, if you want to spend more money, since many bikes will neglect the wheel spec to keep costs down .   A rather inexpensive upgrade is a good aluminum clincher (such as Fulcrum Quattro Pros which can be found for $300-400).  or for $1,300 or less you can get pretty nice aero (40-45mm deep) carbon wheels such as Bontrager Auras or Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbons.  

Good luck

Nat Jas Moe | 6 years ago
0 likes

As you may have seen from the pictures of my bike the first bike in recent years was a Defy 5, it was all I could afford at the time and is a great bike for a first bike, great endurance geometry. Have done loads of Sportives on it both metric and imperial centuries. I would recommend it to any one. I found that I was able to keep up with most folks on it as it's not the bike that holds you back but yourself, ie fitness. I often was able to keep up and leave behind people on much more exotic bikes, I was even able to do this on my lump of a down hill mountain bike much to the chargrin of the guy on the carbon everything bike. :). Yes now I have a carbon bike of my own a Ridley C60 and very happy with it too, but I'm glad I waited until my engine got a whole lot better and I feel I can do the bike justice, still need to work on my climbing though.

Forester | 6 years ago
0 likes

Maybe, although if you are slower than your friends or struggle on a Sportive you will blame the bike! A bike with space for 28mm tyres is the answer if you go down that route. I have a Genesis CdA 10 which is my winter hack but would be OK as a Summer bike with mudguards off and smooth 28mm tyres. May well use it for Devon coast to coast this Summer. Good luck, you should develop affinity for your new bike, there is a huge choice of good bikes above the absolute bargain basement. 

Paul7189 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Would it be worthwhile then investing in a more comfortable bike thats a bit cheaper for starters then once/if i get really into road cycling, then turn that into my winter bike and buy a more performance orientated bike for summer use?

exilegareth replied to Paul7189 | 6 years ago
1 like

Paul7189 wrote:

Would it be worthwhile then investing in a more comfortable bike thats a bit cheaper for starters then once/if i get really into road cycling, then turn that into my winter bike and buy a more performance orientated bike for summer use?

I've got two aluminium Defys,  which cover me for everything from country excursions and commuting to being the slowest fattest time triallist north of the Tyne (and probably south of the Tyne too...) 

My advice would be don't spend your whole budget in one go on the best bike possible - leave some cash in the bank so you can tinker with seating position and setup, and maybe upgrade wheels or acquire a range of cassettes and rear mechs. 

My other advice, which would getme lynched by the tech heads on here, is don't go for anything more than a 105 580 groupset unless you have a really good reason, after back to back testing.  The difference in component prices can be phenomenal.

FInal advice? If you're trying to choose between bikes on the grounds of weight, think oft he extra cost in terms of pies not eaten; eat less pies, save the same amount of weight as a stem made out of unobtainium,and save the price of the stem and the price of the pies.

Simontuck | 6 years ago
0 likes

I had a specialized dealer near me so I went there for my first road bike. My dilemma was the same, but I was looking at aluminium entry level bikes. It was the Allez, which has more TCR-like geometry and is similar to the Tarmac, or the Secteur, which is more like the Defy or the Roubaix.

I test rode the Secteur first as the guy in the shop knew it was my first roadbike after riding a hybrid for a couple of years (but I did ride roadbikes as a kid). I loved it, the road was smoothed out, it was super comfortable. It really is a good, supple ride.

Then I tested the Allez. As soon as I dug in I knew I had to have the Allez. It was so much more responsive and it felt alive. I still have it now 4 years later alongside my TCR.

When I came to buying a carbon bike it was a toss up between the bikes that were similar to the Allez as I knew that was the type of bike I wanted. Tarmac, Super Six or TCR. All were very similar and the Giant only won because of better service from the dealer. Very happy with both bikes and still ride the Allez loads as a winter bike, commute bike. The main reason I don't ride it more is because the TCR has a power meter so I need the TCR for anything training-wise.

Gozzy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Remember the pro's ride defys too, Degenkolb won Paris Roubaix on one, so you ought to be able to keep up with people on one. Looks like it had a fairly negative rise stem on it though.

Gozzy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Remember the pro's ride defys too, Degenkolb won Paris Roubaix on one, so you ought to be able to keep up with people on one. Looks like it had a fairly negative rise stem on it though.

Paul7189 | 7 years ago
1 like

Yeah it's hard to choose a bike as you're always thinking "just £100 more gets you this" and then "just another £100 more gets you that". 

I think i will just have to go to a few shops and see what's on offer at the time and try them out for size. I do find myself easily sucked into the salesmans advice though haha

DaSy | 7 years ago
5 likes

I absolutely agree with part_robot. I wouldn't look to spend a lot on your first road bike, it is a major change from a mountain bike, so will all take some getting used to. 

If I look at my first road bikes and where I am now, I have made some major changes and refined my position over years. 

I like to earn a better bike, so tend to buy what is about right for my ability, upgrade as bits wear out and then progress to a new/better bike once I feel my ability deserves it.

I had a few ex-MTBer customers who had fantastic MTB's that had been refined over years of riding, who went to a road bike for much the same reasons as you, spent an amount of money that equated to a similar value as their best MTB, then found they just didn't enjoy it as much as MTBing and the bike either atrophied in the shed or got sold on.

I would look to a decent aluminium framed bike, see if you get bitten by the road bug and upgrade in a year or so once it becomes all you can think about (or is that just me?).

part_robot | 7 years ago
2 likes

Just be careful not to conflate "this doesn't feel like it fits" with "I've not ridden a road bike much and I'm not accustomed to it". There will be a range of geometries that will suit you if set up correctly. It's hard to know this initially without a year or so of "growing into" a fit and learning what you want. You'll need to trust a fitter. For this reason I always recommend a riders first road bike be one that's relatively inexpensive.

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
1 like

All to do with hip flexibility I think, and you can only find that by a test ride.

There's also the Propel, which is beautiful and I only wish I could walk along holding my own kneecaps, then I might fit it  1

700c | 7 years ago
2 likes

I have a tcr and it's a great bike but I probably wouldn't have thought that if it was the first bike I had bought! Would have been too aggresive. It encourages you to press on, stamp on the pedals uphill and attack everything! Yes it's about fit but it's unlikely you'd fit comfortably on a tcr without gradually developing your position into a more aggressive one over a period of time.

Defy has great reviews and would guess that's the one you'll feel more comfortable on. It can be made longer and lower as you get into it.

Ultimately they are both road bikes designed to be ridden fast and it neither will hold you back.

Giant shops are generally good IME and should let you test ride

Paul7189 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the helpful replies. I'll get down to my local giant dealer and try them out for size. Looking forward to getting out and challenging myself!

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
1 like

Agreed. The fit should determine what you pick between the two.

As a road racing bike, the TCR is lower and longer. It will let you recruit more of your glutes and back muscles as you pedal, but whether or not you can sustain this position is the big question.

The Defy is shorter in reach and much more upright. Its popularity is deserved because it doesn't put undue stress on riders' backs, and is therefore friendlier for longer spells on the saddle.

Alternatively, if you want something that's in between the two geometries and can still give you a bit of off-road fun, perhaps the TCX cyclocross bike is for you. I have one from 2014, and I use it almost purely for road riding and commuting. Swap out the knobbies for 28 mm slicks and you get a not too shabby road bike.

Even if you go with the more upright Defy, you can always tweak the fit later on by lowering the stem. Granted, the TCR will have more scope for this, but that bike may also require you to get longer...which we generally can't do for road bike fit.

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

It all comes down to fit - if you read the reviews and posts on here and other sites and what feels right for you may not feel right for others.
I came from a similar background and ended up getting a cyclo cross bike first and the best piece of advice was try as many as you can. They all look great on paper but when I test rode some they were frankly a bit of a disappointment and that included some very nice bikes.
Hit your local Evans, LBS, Giant stores and test ride as many as you can. Evans have a great try before you buy policy and if you're around an average size have a good range to try without having to order stuff in. I'm pretty big and needed a 61cm frame but they still got me about 6 or 7 bikes in over a period to try.
Local Giant store is the same.
Plus you have some serious money so should get something frankly brilliant...
Also do your mates have any road bikes - I have a couple of really serious roadie neighbours who gave some great advice.
Sorry for long reply...

Latest Comments