Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

XD Driver Body - Help request

Hi

In the road.cc article:

http://road.cc/content/news/145074-zipp-updates-202-and-303-disc-wheels-thru-axle-compatible-hubs

it says:

A SRAM XD Driver Body is available for the rear hub, should you want to adopt SRAM’s 1x11 drivetrain on a road or, more likely, gravel or ‘cross bike.

I am aware that there are many Manufacturers providing XD Drivers for their own Wheels.

Zipp do not appear to offer any form of XD Driver.

Given the ‘family ties’ of the suppliers I purchased a SRAM XD Driver Body for these wheels only to find that the XD Driver Bearings are 2mm smaller than the Wheel Axle supplied. The Packaging Label says it is for SRAM Rise 60 but this was not indicated on the Suppliers web site.

Are XD Driver Bodies Wheel Make & Model Specific? 

Versatility at Users expense?

Both products have come from previously respected sources.

My eMail to Zipp has been acknowledged so hopefully there will be an update within a reasonable time?

Meanwhile if anyone has useful input it will be very welcome.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

No More alas Pe... | 7 years ago
0 likes

End of story.

Although all the apparent information was given before the order was accepted I had to confirm that the Colour of the Hub was Black.

The required XDR Driver Body arrived very soon after the order was placed. Being a practically Toolless procedure the installation was complete within minutes.

The lessons of this event are that at present there is very little information published regarding What Driver is compatible with Which Hub. Those intending to deploy these Drivers need to ensure that Suppliers of Hubs and Wheels provide Compatability Information. The well established WWW Supplier of my Zipp Wheels could not provide the required details and, on being given the information, point blank refused a request to Special Order the needed Driver. Since there is a dedicated web site for XD and XDR Driver Bodies:

http://xddriverbody.com 

it is hoped, eventually, that the Compatability Pages there will be used to provide fully detailed information to all interested parties. At present the Compatabilty listing for Hubs-Wheels consists of a jumble of Names that does not even contain all applicable Manufacturers. Clicking on the Link

Complete License Agreement & Get XD Spec Sheet 

the Compatability Guide only indicates the need for a Spacer to be fitted to XDR Bodies to provide equal comatability to that of XD Bodies for all XD Cassettes. The web site seems to have been designed for Form rather than Function and desparately needs input by a person with a full understanding of XD Drivers?

Having made a three pronged attempt to get this through, via Suppliers and Road.cc, to SRAM I can only wait but certainly will not be holding my breath whilct doing so.

0 likes

Update on progress.

During the course of last Sunday and Monday I sent 4 requests to potential Suppliers

The first response, via eBay UK, to a Cycle Retailer in USA arrived on Tuesday 14 March. This informed me that the Shipping Cost was high, factoring in Duties and Customs Clearance Charges raised the Total Cost to slightly more than double the Value of the Product.

XD Drivers available here range from £45 to £75, and it the US Dollar price is usually based on 1$ = £1. There also seems to be a situation that if a Consumer is prepared to pay a high price for the Wheels it is OK to charge them an equally high price for Compatible Add-Ons? The price for the required product is very near to 100 £s or $s.

Yesterday, Wednesday 15 March 2017, I received a reply from a Retailer, found on the Zyro Fisher web site, who is very well established. Unfortunately it is a long way from my location but their service is first class.

I expect to place the Order today.

This Compatibility Fudge has required a lot of communication and effort from all parties involved because of the lack of information by major Manfacturers. In the case of the Road.cc Article, quoted in the first Post above, there was a golden opportunity for SRAM to impart the Full Detail of the required XD Driver. 

I accept that the majority of Readers will not have any interest in the above, yet. However please consider that, even if it is the only cause, due to the passage of time no condition is permanent

DaSy replied to No More alas Permanently-Fixed | 7 years ago
0 likes

Well done No More alas Permanently-Fixed,

It is amazing how much work has to go into finding the correct part in the cycle industry, I think it is thanks to the brilliant use of industry standards, that is, a new standard for each new product!

0 likes

Ha, I am 'old' period.

Had to move to 'granddad' gears, hearing difficulties [even with aids] so prefer written communications but fortunately I can still push pedals.

Just trying to keep it that way for as long as possible.

EDIT [Whoops, just noticed you replied before the edit to my previous Post. Probably due to me clicking Preview rather than Send, sorry about that. Put it down to Brain Fade.]

0 likes

Thank you for yourr input DaSy.

Whilst searching for SRAM XDR, just last evening, I came across Zyro Fisher.

The site seemed, to me, rather odd-ball and not what I would have expected of a Main Distributor. However a message is winging its way at the same time as you may be reading this.

DaSy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Their phone number is 01325 741200 if you want to go all "ol'skool"

0 likes

Thanks for your input DaSy.

It was only yesterday evening that I first discovered Zyro Fisher. Frankly their web site seemed rather odd-ball and not what I expected of a Main Distributor.

The Contact Form typically avoids as much communication as possible but it does have an easy to use Retailer Finder.

A mesage is winging it's way to two Retailers as this is being typed. I will keep you informed of the progress.

DaSy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have you tried contacting Zyro Fisher (the UK distributor for Zipp)?

They should be able to get hold of it for you, most of the distributors I dealt with were very helpful (I never had to use Fisher though, so don't know for sure).

http://www.zyrofisher.co.uk/content/contact

1 like

Thanks for your input Jimmy Ray W.

Zipp have responed very promptly, appproximately 3 messages each way in rapid succession.

Apparently I need:

11.1918.049.002-Freehub Kit Zipp 177 11 speed SRAM XDR

The downside is that seemingly all the Links found lead to the other side of the pond.

The Supplier of the Wheels 'do not Special Order', so now I need to find a SRAM Dealer who can help.

Perhaps some knowledgeable person frequenting this Forum will be able to point me in the direction of a Supplier?

Thank you.

Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
1 like

I do not have a definitive answer, however I believe each manufacturer will need to produce their own driver body. 

Latest Comments