Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fender / Mudguard suggestions for weird Colnago design

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions here - hence my recent sign up  1

I just bought and took delivery on a Colnago A1R CX cross bike - which I'll be using as my commuter. Stupidly, I bought SKS Bluemels in advance of getting the bike, noting that the bike does have mounts for mudguards on the front forks, and assuming that must mean there would be some on the back.

As you can see in the pictures, I was more than wrong. Not only are there no mounts at the rear axle, the cable for the front derailleur goes down the back of the downtube, making any fender that clamps there useless.

Thoughts? I think I'm stuck with a seat mounted rear fender like the SKS S-Blade?

Thanks!

IMG_3076 IMG_3077

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
0 likes

SKS Velo 42 mudguards will go on there a treat. I have the same design on my Ridley X-Bow. Fitted them from day one and not had a problem in 12,500 miles. They also have the benefit of being removable in approx 2 seconds off the front , and approx 30 seconds for the rear.

Go for the ones without stays, they work just as good and are nice and light.

macdian | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all. Definitely a challenge, especially as pointed out with it being discs. Will take a look at some of the suggestions, especially emailing some manufacturers. 

Ad Hynkel | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had same issues with my old Pinnacle Expede (RIP). Got round it with P-clips around the bottom of the seat-stays to mount the supports. At the pulley I used an old bracket with several holes for mounting already drilled into it, bent into a very shallow U shape and used one end affectively as a washer on the pulley bolt. I made sure I could fit the hex key through the other hole in the bracket to tighten it up. The other side mounted on the bottom of the mudguard with a very short bolt/washer/nut. Never had any issues with either of the above along rough roads and canal tow-paths over 18months. The mudguard eventually died for the usual SKS reason i.e. snapped at bridge.

Having looked at the spec of the Colnago, I see it's discs. Not sure where the P-clip could go on the seatstay on the drive side. Perhaps others have solutions for that?

Langsam | 7 years ago
1 like

Swap out the current FD for a Shimano Cx-70 top pull.

Remove the lower pulley and use its threaded boss to mount your Blumel rear 'guard.

Al__S | 7 years ago
0 likes

I was about to recommend the Zefal Shield R30, but that won't work with a cross tyre (not wide enough) . Shame, as other wise it's probably about bang on.

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
0 likes

PDW Full Metal Fenders won't solve the problem of the cable.

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm inclined to vote for the Portland Design Works (PDW) Full Metal Fenders too, in the wider City width. Haven't tried a set, but I've been eyeing them as a replacement for my cracked SKS P45 Longboards, and I'm told they are excellent.

They're not cheap because they are indeed full metal. SKS are mostly plastic with an aluminum core, which in my experience isn't enough to stop them from cracking all the way through, especially in 700C fitment.

The PDW Full Metal Fenders in City width should fit a 35 mm tire easily.

gmac101 | 7 years ago
1 like

The PDW full metal fender clips onto the down tube with an elastic band a distance above the bottom bracket.  The stays can either by screwed into mudguard eyes or fit to the quick release skewers. They ain't cheap though

kevvjj | 7 years ago
1 like

I have a gravel/cross/endurance bike and had a similar issue. I tried the Crud MkIIIs - absolute rubbish - threw £30 in the bin. If you are running 35mm or greater then the Raceblade is a very good choice. I use one and I get far more protection than the Cruds (even though they claim to usable up to 35mm width). My Raceblades simply keep a whole lot of mud off my arse and back.

dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

Do the suppliers have any recommendations?

Latest Comments