Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ribble Sportive Racing seat stay crack - ?

My Ribble sportive racing frame has a crack in the seat stay above the rear derailleur. It looks like the fault is near where the aluminium dropouts are wrapped by the carbon stay. Is it safe to ride? I have contacted Ribble, awaiting reply... Any advice welcome. Thanks

https://flic.kr/p/SzNoV1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Leviathan | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've also got a Ribble Sportive racing (yes the name is an oxymoron who wants a flame war...) last summer and am very disappappointed with the build quality. No cracks as far as I know. The wheels lost three spokes within a couple of months (I've never ever had a broken spoke before.) and the bottome bracket now sounds like a Aztec rain stick [Ribbles own pressfit] and the front fork is a bit  loose. The guy at Evans made sucky teeth faces like a car mechanic and implied it would explode if I rode it. I promptly rode it home at a mahoosive 20kph. Commute only until I can get it serviced.

fenix replied to Leviathan | 7 years ago
0 likes
Leviathan wrote:

I've also got a Ribble Sportive racing (yes the name is an oxymoron who wants a flame war...) last summer and am very disappappointed with the build quality. No cracks as far as I know. The wheels lost three spokes within a couple of months (I've never ever had a broken spoke before.) and the bottome bracket now sounds like a Aztec rain stick [Ribbles own pressfit] and the front fork is a bit  loose. The guy at Evans made sucky teeth faces like a car mechanic and implied it would explode if I rode it. I promptly rode it home at a mahoosive 20kph. Commute only until I can get it serviced.

Spokes do break. You can tighten your headset with an allen key.

One bike shop will diss the product of another.

timlong | 7 years ago
0 likes

Kev-s, sorry to hear about your woes. I hope Ribble sort out the problem. At least my bike lasted more than 2 years before cracking. I hope you now have another bike. What make to did you buy?

kev-s replied to timlong | 7 years ago
0 likes

timlong wrote:

Kev-s, sorry to hear about your woes. I hope Ribble sort out the problem. At least my bike lasted more than 2 years before cracking. I hope you now have another bike. What make to did you buy?

Was sorted in the end after arguing with them and involving trading standards, they eventually took the bike back and refunded the cycle scheme so i had nothing more to pay

Went out and bought a Colnago Ace and had zero issues in the 3 years i owned it

Had a few Colnago's now (working my way up the range) and wont have anything else now

kev-s | 7 years ago
0 likes

It could be a paint crack due to them using too much filler between the join of the alloy dropout to the carbon frame

I had this with a Ribble a few years ago when a brand new Gran Fondo cracked exactly where yours has after 1 month use

They said they had a bad batch of frames which too much filler had been used on

Sent it back and they replaced the frame and it cracked again, sent it back again and they then sent the same frame back not fixed, they sent me another new frame and that cracked too

I asked them for my money back and they tried to fob me off saying they cant refund on Cycle to work scheme bikes

Spoke to the Cycle scheme and trading standards and went back to Ribble quoting the sale of goods act and they finally refunded me in full

Hopefully you will have less hassle than i did!

allanj | 7 years ago
0 likes

Good service,  I hope you get something sorted to get you onto the road!

I'm from the opposite end of the country so can't advise on local rental, I'm sure you'll find something.  Have you tried the intriguingly named Biketart?

timlong | 7 years ago
0 likes

allanj, thanks for your comments. Ribble are sending me a box to retunr the bike and they say they'll replace the frame. They advise not to ride it. This is a blow as the weather is improving and I'm ready to get out there! I'm based in Cnaterbury and I'm trying to find out if I can rent a bike locally. 
Flikr prefs now changed, I have not used that acount for about 10 years...

allanj | 7 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't ride it, if it all goes wrong could be nasty.  Wait to see what Ribble says, if no joy then get it looked at by a carbon fibre repairer- if you say where you are then I'm sure that someone on here will be able to suggest somewhere.

you might want to look at your flickr privacy settings by the way, I can look at other pictures on your photostream at the moment.

Latest Comments