Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

City commuters: air pollution causing tonsillitis?

I commute to work in London 4-5 times a week, 7 miles each way usually through the rush hour. I've found that I've recently become susceptible to tonsillitis (couple of times a year) and wondered if air pollution might be a source of it. I can't find any scientific information online and wondered if the forum might have any anecdotes.

Have you found yourself getting respiratory/throat problems more frequently than you did before cycle communting? If so, did you find that a mask like the Respro Sportsta helped?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

A respro doesn't filter out PM2.5s or NOx does it?

hoffbrandm replied to matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

A respro doesn't filter out PM2.5s or NOx does it?

apparently some of their masks can do even better than 2.5.

nothing is going to be perfect. But speaking as a relatively fast cyclist bombing through the city everyday, and as one with asthma I've not noticed any bad issues with my lungs since using it..

hoffbrandm | 7 years ago
0 likes

Started cycling in the city (London) and it gave me asthma. 

Got respro. There really isn't an alternative to choose from, but with some adjustments and extras it works well. No asthma since.

arfa | 7 years ago
0 likes

I commute in London as well and wear a respro.
I can't offer any evidence but when I put a new filter in, it's white and when I replace it three months later, it's a dirty dark shade of grey.
One long term effect of the pollution us that I have started to become susceptible to a mild dose of hay fever as soon as the weather turns. Thankfully it's easily sorted and goes away but I have neve has any allergies.

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I bike-commute in Manila. Undoubtedly worse than London in terms of air quality. So far, no tonsillitis...but this is a your-mileage-may-vary kind of thing, I would assume.

Latest Comments