Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Helmet replacement following a crash

I know the commonly held advice is to replace a hemet regardless following a crash, but i was wondering under what circumstances people may not.

This evening  on my way back from work I was stationary at a set of traffic lights.  The next thing i knew i was on the deck, having landed on my elbow and shin and to a lesser extent on my head (kind of blows any argument for not wearing a helmet out of the water for me).  When I looked around i noticed that i had been hit by a  base-ball cap wearing teenager on a Trek Madone who I have seen before cycling like a complete d**khead though the traffic the previous day.  He had not seen me as he had been looking at his phone not the road.

My hemet shows no signs of damage save some tiny scratch marks.  Given the same would anyone here look at changing their helmet ?(fyi mine's a brand new Kask Protone - so i cant use the excuse of the accident to justify an upgrade!)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

madcarew | 7 years ago
2 likes

The polystyrene foam is hardly a high integrity product. If you can't see cracks  or obvious deformation in it then it's good to go. (YMMV  3 )

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

If there is no sign of damage to the lining then it's surely fine.

However, if you are concerned that it might be weakend then, for your own peace of mind, you may be better off getting a new one. Or at least having it checked.

Woldsman | 7 years ago
1 like

This picture shows what happened to my helmet the last time I took a tumble on August bank holiday weekend 2015. 

My tuppenneth:

http://cycleseven.org/the-helmet-debate-again

(I didn't replace the helmet, but I did get a new front rim last Christmas.)

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had two crashes on my last helmet before I replaced it (was due an upgrade anyway).  The first crash I twisted my head a little (lost control at high speed and ended up steering into some bushes) but no significant impact.

My second crash I fractured both wrists and clearly hit my head with the state of my chin afterwards.

I think just play it by ear depending on the nature of the crash.  If it looks fine and isn't scratched/bashed to hell - then I'd think you'd be ok.  Of course internet advice with regards to your own safety is worthless, do what you feel is best.

Edit: even after my second crash the helmet looked ok for what it's worth.

SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
0 likes

KASK do a crash replacement send it in and you get a replacement at I think 50% off.

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

I hope Madone boy learnt the error of his ways. Cycling like that just sounds pretty daft - whilst looking at a phone!!!! People on bikes are vulnerable enough without distracting yourself.
On the helmet question it's your call. If it were me I wouldn't replace..

Leviathan | 7 years ago
1 like

Shh, be vewy, vewy quiet. Someone said the H word. If it doesn't look like it is dented then it may not have had a 'significant impact.' Though some people will say change it immediately and others that it is pointless anyway. If you were stationary if probably didn't take a full hit. Assuming you don't want to fork out for a new Kask anyway you  will probably be fine. Post a pic if you can.

Lucky Madone boy was not in a Vauxhall Corsa.

nmanfield replied to Leviathan | 7 years ago
0 likes

Leviathan wrote:

Shh, be vewy, vewy quiet. Someone said the H word. If it doesn't look like it is dented then it may not have had a 'significant impact.' Though some people will say change it immediately and others that it is pointless anyway. If you were stationary if probably didn't take a full hit. Assuming you don't want to fork out for a new Kask anyway you  will probably be fine. Post a pic if you can.

Lucky Madone boy was not in a Vauxhall Corsa.

Thanks Leviathan,  I've seen the pro and anti helmet lobbies and indeed it is a true can of worms.  I am under no illusion that this evening's incident could have easily involved a trip to the brain surgery ward if circumstances had been slightly different.

I live in Switzerland and if it had been a Corsa then it would have  strayed into a segregated bike lane. Interestingly , therefore, had i landed differently and had I not being wearing a helmet i could have been seriously injured or worse, standing still, having been hit by a someone on a bike (i tend to make the differentiation between someone ring a bike and a cyclist).

Each to their own - put it this way, i once turned up to the office having realised i had cycled there without my hemet.  Rather than cycle home without a helmet, i went out and bought a new hemet before riding back home after work. 

Latest Comments