Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Any advice for a weekend visit to see the Tour of Flanders 2017 please?

Hello

After listening to The Cycling Podcast 'Specials' regarding the Belgian Classics I would like to undertake a 'last minute' trip over for the weekend to perhaps arrive Friday, do some cycling sight-seeing on the Saturday and watch the race on the Sunday April 2nd. I won't be taking my bike.

Can the community please provide any advice on this?

I was thinking on the Saturday of taking in a cycling museum (or two) or something else if recommended? Any suggestions?

And on the Sunday perhaps go to see the start in Antwerp and then perhaps go by train to another location somewhere else to watch the race in the flesh and when it has passed by then move in to a local bar to watch the end of the race on TV with the locals etc etc. Or then use the train again to get to another location ahead of the race or to the finish?

Is that feasible with the new start in Anwerp?

Where would be the best location to get a hotel to use as a base for the weekend?

Any sensible suggestions from those with knowledge of what to do and where to go would be very much appreciated: Thank you very much in advance.

Many thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

dunnoh | 7 years ago
0 likes

We stay in Ghent, do the ride on the saturday.  On the Sunday we drive to the main road opposite the kopenburg.  Walk up the hill and watch the big TV.   As the race comes near we run down the hill and cheer them on.  Its a magical weekend

Spicedog | 7 years ago
0 likes

You could still do it, but it does need a bit of planning. And doing the start in Antwerp and then watching the race on one of the climbs is going to be problematic. This is because the race will leave Antwerp at about 10am but you will need to be down in Oudenaarde by 11.30/12 latest to have a chance of catching one of the shuttle buses to one of the climbs where there are spectator zones.

You won't be able to drive to the climbs yourself as the roads will be closed, and taxis are very thin on the ground (although if you find one they will probably find some way of getting you there using local knowledge). If you have a bike with you, however, you could just cycle from Oudenaarde to one of the climbs like the Kwaremont. 

Alternatively you could watch the start in Antwerp then get a train to Oudenaarde, watch the race on the big screens in the town square and then watch the finish as it comes into town. The race also passes through Oudenaarde once before the start I think so you might be able to catch it then.

The best atmosphere is on one of the climbs like the Oude Kwaremont of Koppenberg, though. If you really want to go to one of those I'd advise staying on the Saturday night in Bruges or - better still (as it's closer to Oudenaarde) - Ghent. Then get an early train to Oudenaarde so you can get a shuttle bus in good time.

Accommodation in Oudenaarde on the Saturday will probably either be booked up already or be very expensive by now. An option for the Sunday night would be to book into a guesthouses a little way out of town. Getting back to them after the race could be an issue though as you'll be extremely lucky to get a taxi from Oudenaarde. Possibly better to get the train back to Ghent or Bruges and spend the night there. Or, find a guesthouse near Oudenaarde on the Sunday night and ask the proprietor beforehand if they are able to pick you up in Oudenaarde on Sunday evening after the race. Try Horenbecca Boutique Hotel - I've stayed there twice before. Luc, the owner, is a good guy and gave us a lift into Oudenaarde once before.

Let me know if you need any more advice - I've done the trip twice and it's a great experience. I did a blog with more details about how to watch it as well - check it out if you have the time:

http://www.ithreetravel.co.uk/how-to-watch-the-tour-of-flanders-bike-race/

Jellypop | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thank you very much Yorkshie Whippet. Much appreciated. Just checked Baxter's:  Unsurprisingly sold out. Sounded really good though. Cheers.

Yorkshie Whippet | 7 years ago
0 likes

No problem.

Reccomend Baxters cycling tours.

Jellypop | 7 years ago
1 like

Well THANK YOU VERY MUCH 'Yorkshie Whippet', 'huntswheelers' and 'riotgibbon' !!!

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your kind advice.

Perhaps with only two weeks to go I have been over-optimistic in what could be achieved at the last minute and needed really to do some considerable planning. A bit nieve of me there I think.

However your recollections and information make me want to go all the more! It sounds like a great experience.

Perhaps I should try to get on an organised tour this year if possible and plan to do it properly on my own next year and do some sight-seeing at the same time?

Thank you.

riotgibbon | 7 years ago
1 like

when I went, we took our campervan here: http://www.outsider.be/

that's close to the finish in Oudenaarde, we then rode over to the Kwaremont, then the nearby Patersberg, then followed the route after the finish back to the campsite 

if you haven't a bike, then I would take the advice elsewhere about getting a bus to Kwaremont/Patersberg. Though the party by the finish line in Oudenaarde looked immense

huntswheelers | 7 years ago
1 like

Love to fully help, but can give you some ideas..... not done the Ronde but done the Omloop for the past 2 yrs.....

We have used a campervan not a hotel but that is really not a difference as its yer bed for the night but we find somewhere to stay and take bikes with us to ride out to the stage or sections of it.... the Omloop has some sections which are on the Ronde so it's nice to get a bit in on the same roads as the riders.... this year we stayed at Zwalm and watched the race from Haaghoek and Roborst....

In all honesty its all about the planning, we do it about 9 months before and book camping and ferries... find the route of the race and plan the spectator stuff.... we decided not to do the Kuurne-Brussels on the Sunday..... but have plans for that next year. We are heading for the same Camping as this year (nice people there and a restaurant on site too) and we are riding to other spots on the route next year....then Sunday we are going to get the train to Brussels for the K-B-K race... (€9 return).....

Like I say it's all in the research and planning..... last year for Omloop we were green but this year with planning etc were had a lovely and easy time..... 5 days next year for us instead of 3.....  3

http://www.belgianrail.be/en/ might help you if you want to use trains.... 

Have Fun

Yorkshie Whippet | 7 years ago
2 likes

There is the Tour of Flanders Museum in Oudenaarde that's well worth a visit. Be warned though, the sportive will be running on Saturday to and from Oudenaarde, 15000 cyclists.

I've never done it by train, always through organised tours, see the start and then head to a spectating spot and stay there all day. All the tours I've been on use Gent as the base. 

You could be hard pressed to get from one place to another using trains due to the nature of the race, they tend to avoid major built up areas and head out and around the countryside.  The route is a ride out to Gerardbergam and then three circuits aound Kwaremeount village and Patersberg hills, then onto Oudenaarde. Also there are three races during the day, (including  the pro women) therefore some areas tend to lock down. It may be feasable to head to Oudenaarde and catching one of the free buses to a spectator spot. Most have beer tent, food tent and a big screen as they are locked down by road closure.

Hope this helps.

Latest Comments