Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chinese eBay parts

Has anyone bought a carbon stem via eBay, iveke is the make, any problems? I've bought one, but are now worried about the quality and strength of the item

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
2 likes

Chinese carbon frame user here. Not dead yet despite the poor quality of much of the roads I use. Then again it's one of the generic frames, the sort that end up on a Mekk or Planet X, so has some quality control. Maybe I'd be a bit more wary of something that was an actual copy of a top end bike that wasn't using a generic, tried and tested process. I don't really approve of blatant copies, it's a bit like wearing a fake Rolex, what does it prove? 

Don't think I'd stretch to a carbon stem though. 

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
2 likes

I would never use a carbon stem. Alloy ones are lighter and the failure mode is much more predictable. You can get a superlight European one from Syntace or Lightweight or Extralite etc that's been properly tested and has a genuine CE sticker - and is lighter than any carbon stem. Wrong place to save weight!

fenix | 7 years ago
4 likes

There's no point in a carbon stem anyway. They're no lighter.

Buying a dodgy import carbon stem isn't a bright idea.

pablo | 7 years ago
3 likes

Always been tempted by chinese carbon but then always thought better of it at the end of the day you are putting your life in their hands.  

I think if some of these chinese brands put a bit of effort on their sites into showing what testing they do and really going to town on it they would change the perception.  I have no issue of where they come from but the safety aspect just puts me off.  

racingcondor | 7 years ago
2 likes

I'm sure 99%+ of the time it's perfectly fine but like others here I wouldn't risk a stem or a seatpost.

Most stems will be overbuilt so will work despite any flaws they have. Many sellers will source responsibly (or be the eBay surplus stock for a reputable supplier).

The problem I have with eBay is it also attracts all the crazies and phychos who will knowingly sell the sort of junk that will kill someone.

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
2 likes

....Possibly a trispoke front wheel bought off AliExpress seen at the Tirreno Adriatico...poor Gianni Moscon’s TT ruined...marginal gains...maybe they drilled the rims...

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
2 likes

I've bought Chinese made carbon wrapped alloy stems and put thousands of miles on them without any problems. I also have purchased Chinese made carbon bottle cages. However, I would never trust a Chinese made full carbon stem not knowing the quality of the underlying fibers and/or the manufacturing quality. I do not wish to experience a 30 kpm face plant. This is not to say all will fail but since the Chinese gov't doesn't govern safety and/or mfg quality issues, I do not wish to be the one reporting a failure from the hospital.

Bristol Bullet | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got no worries with a  carbon seat post I bought from a Chinese seller on ebay a couple of months back.  The quality and finish is superb and a match for any branded product.  And from order to delivery took less than 14 days.   

Dnnnnnn replied to Bristol Bullet | 7 years ago
1 like

Bristol Bullet wrote:

I've got no worries with a  carbon seat post I bought from a Chinese seller on ebay a couple of months back.  The quality and finish is superb and a match for any branded product.  And from order to delivery took less than 14 days.   

How did you assess the quality?

davel replied to Bristol Bullet | 7 years ago
1 like
Bristol Bullet wrote:

Until it decides to give you a bit of prison love.

surly_by_name | 7 years ago
5 likes

I own some bought from Chinese vendor carbon tubs, which I use for cross. I have had no problems at all with them.

Given what would happen if your stem broke, I am not sure this is a component that I would choose to save money on.

Dnnnnnn replied to surly_by_name | 7 years ago
0 likes

surly_by_name wrote:

I own some bought from Chinese vendor carbon tubs, which I use for cross. I have had no problems at all with them.

Given what would happen if your stem broke, I am not sure this is a component that I would choose to save money on.

And what would the chances of any redress be in the event of a failure...?

Consider a simple two (vertical and horizontal) axis risk matrix - potential for failure and impact of failure - which quadrant does this part fit into?

Of course, you can research the company and the wear and failure characteristics of carbon fibre parts - would that provide reassurance on a safety-critical item?

srchar replied to surly_by_name | 7 years ago
5 likes

surly_by_name wrote:

I'm not sure I'd even have a carbon stem.

SingleSpeed replied to srchar | 7 years ago
0 likes

srchar wrote:

I'm not sure I'd even have a carbon stem.

Unless you get things like the ferociously ugly Zipp or Time carbon lumps then it's not worth it.

Most carbon Stems don't match up to the generally Stiffer and Lighter, Cheaper Alloy ones.

SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've bought one, but are now worried about the quality and strength of the item.

...That's the problem right there, do your research before you buy.

I've had a couple of Carbon clinchers from China and they have been faultless in all aspects. I had an issue with a hub bearing (not the carbon) and I had a new set of wheels straight away under a 2 year warranty. 

I bought them fully on the understanding I would smash them for a year or so and then bin them but they have exceeded those expectations.

Pick your seller well, research the manufacturing plant they work from....if you see ANY whif of Chinarellos or C-Works frames stick clear.

Email the seller, I use a number of chinese factories for Merchandise/POS and they will always be most friendly and helpful, it's the same with ebay.

ClubSmed | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have bought a carbon seatpost from seller "travel2016" on eBay, it wasn't an Iveke post but I notice that this seller also sells Iveke. I have done a few hundred miles on the post I bought so far on tow paths, parks and roads without any issues. I am considering buying another one from the seller to keep as a spare.

Not sure if my review helps you as it's not an Iveke post that I bought, but I thought it's better than nothing.

barongreenback | 7 years ago
1 like

No idea but I've just bought an extended titanium spindle for the lollipop shaped pedal (in case the lawyers are watching).   Will let you know when it arrives and what the quality is like.  I've chosen the seller based on feedback. 

Latest Comments