Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lightweight steel forks for Fratello

I have a Condor Fratello (caliper brake version) with carbon forks that probably weigh about 600g or thereabouts. Unfortunately they only have clearance for 25 mm tyres and I would like to replace them with some I could fit 28s/32s into.

I like the idea of getting some steel forks to match the frame better and to replace the existing carbon ones. 

Does anyone know of any out there that are reasonably light and not too expensive? 

So far I have found Thorn 853 or Bob Jackson 853 - both are around £200 and weigh around 900 grams. It's a bit more than I would like to spend.

Alternatively, does anyone have some lying around that they would like to get rid of? It's a long shot because the forks would need at least 300 mm of 1 1/8" steerer.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

RR | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Surley Pacer fork may be worth a look: http://surlybikes.com/parts/forks/pacer_fork. Weight is 1kg. The older version sells for about £85, sometimes less. The new version on the Surly site maybe worth seeking out, although it may be a special order.

You'll need similar axle-crown and rake measurements. Yours are probably 377mm a-c and 44mm rake. The older Surly Pacer appears to have a-c 371mm and the new version 375mm.

The Fratello has an integrated headset, and steel forks are almost always non-integrated. They should still work fine, but you won't get a perfect match-up and the lower bearings may be a bit more exposed.

HTH

Latest Comments