Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cyclists, horse riders and other vulnerable road users, we have to look out for each other.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-39171871

This could just as easily have been any one of us out earlier today.

Stay safe. M

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

HowardR | 7 years ago
0 likes

SuperPython59: "driving like this should be the same as drink driving, 18months ban, criminal record, resit advanced driving test, named and shamed in local papers and a fucking massive insurance premium."

I fail to see why the ban should be for eighteen months and not for life. Please enligten me.

Awavey | 7 years ago
0 likes

Im going with distracted and just too fast which is interesting because the limit only hits NSL from 30mph at the start of their entry to the corner.

But cars dont understeer or lose grip like that it looks like they are going straight on and then steering and miraculously holding the line, had they lost grip or the car understeered that badly, they would have just kept going into the hedge.

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
0 likes

Christ on a bike! That was nasty! Stuff for the nightmares tonight. 

I'm going into the driver was going too fast camp. Seemed like they maybe went into too fast, half commited to it, then decided or just ended up finish the turn on the wrong side of the road on a different line. 

I'd guess, given the car, it's not your usual boy racer, just an incompetent. 

mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes

The original news report mentioned the possibility of the driver suffering a stroke, so perhaps it's best not to leap onto the attack too quickly?

HalfWheeler replied to mike the bike | 7 years ago
1 like

mike the bike wrote:

The original news report mentioned the possibility of the driver suffering a stroke, so perhaps it's best not to leap onto the attack too quickly?

"East of England Ambulance Service has confirmed it did not treat the driver for a suspected stroke or any other medical concern"

BBC

Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
3 likes

I actually agree that this was distraction rather than pure speed. My reasoning being how quickly the vehicle was able to stop post accident.

it wasn't an attempt to take the corner too fast, it was breaking and turning into a corner too late... which I'd suggest is everything to do with not being fully attentive / capable. 

The car did not slide at any time, so it was not out of control, it was simply not being controlled.

Amazed that the coloured horse got away with its life. 

dottigirl replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
0 likes

Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

Amazed that the coloured horse got away with its life. 

It wouldn't surprise me if either of them had to be put down at a later date. Horses are funny things - they may appear fine and then run up lame days later, or during the next ride. Their legs are very fragile, and they take a lot of weight. There's a chance of mental problems too.

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

Chilling.

I've very nearly had the same thing happen to me - driver coming down the wrong side of the road, looking at their phone. Fortunately I had enough time to get onto the verge and watch them cruise past, completely oblivious.

FluffyKittenofT... | 7 years ago
2 likes

The Daily Mail article on this was interesting in terms of the comments. Seems that DM readers are less anti-horsist than they are anti-cyclist, but the 'motorists can do no wrong and it's always someone else's fault' contingent still put up a strong showing.

davel replied to FluffyKittenofTindalos | 7 years ago
13 likes

FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

The Daily Mail article on this was interesting in terms of the comments. Seems that DM readers are less anti-horsist than they are anti-cyclist, but the 'motorists can do no wrong and it's always someone else's fault' contingent still put up a strong showing.

It's an interesting hierarchy... I think aspiration nudges in between the obvious Little England and fascist influences, and they all want a pony, or something, and see bikes as kids' toys. If the car had been a Land Rover, Range Rover or Aston Martin it would probably have been enough to swing the debate.

If you drove Hitler's Tourenwagen into a schoolyard full of kids singing 'Jerusalem' - I reckon that'd be a 50/50 split and the internet would need rebooting.

dottigirl | 7 years ago
2 likes

Have to wonder why that house has a camera positioned there. Perhaps this happens all too often?

ktache | 7 years ago
3 likes

BBC that was no accident.

Driver seemingly going far to fast for the corner and conditions.

Why is it never an HGV coming when the driver is driving this badly?

DrG82 replied to ktache | 7 years ago
3 likes

ktache wrote:

BBC that was no accident.

Driver seemingly going far to fast for the corner and conditions.

Why is it never an HGV coming when the driver is driving this badly?

I suspect the driver was somehow distracted as they weren't actually going very fast. I think I'd be checking the drivers phone records.

DaveE128 replied to DrG82 | 7 years ago
3 likes

DrG82 wrote:

I suspect the driver was somehow distracted as they weren't actually going very fast. I think I'd be checking the drivers phone records.

I agree about checking the phone records. The fact they don't get out makes me suspicious - maybe deleting texts? Giving the benefit of the doubt, I hope they were dialling 999.

However I'm puzzled by your assessment that they weren't going very fast. They were clearly going far too fast for the conditions as they were unable to slow down even slightly before losing control. The road is obviously wet and it's quite a sharp bend. I trust it is just a matter of perception from the video, but if not, and you think this isn't too fast, and you drive, you might want to have a long hard think about safe driving speeds...

Why the idiot didn't steer into the side turning once they realised they were on the wrong side of the road I've no idea. Total failure to deal with loss of traction. Fixated on the horses and riders I suppose?

Ironically if it had been an HGV instead they might have got away with such poor judgement - I imagine they tried to slow down when they saw horses, but were unable to both corner and slow down because of excessive speed on a wet corner. If they'd carried on around the corner without braking they may have managed to stay on the right side of the road, albeit far too fast to be passing horses.

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
1 like

What a shit, it looks like the car was about to just drive off.

Grahamd | 7 years ago
3 likes

That was bloody awful. Attrocious driving. Absolutely sickening.

Thanks for sharing.

Latest Comments