Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc brake wheel upgrade - what's best for 300-500 quid?!

I ride a 2015 Cannondale Synapse, the disc brake version, which I love to bits.  It was my first road bike 2 years ago and I've steadily got more into the sport.  This year I'll be doing a few big challenges - a 350 mile ride from London to Germany (over 4 days), a sprint triathlon (to complete, not compete), and a few 60-90 mile sportives.  

As well as a general fitness drive (I was a bit porky, and have dropped 20kg!), I'm keen to upgrade a few bits on the bike, especially wheels.  I have about 500 quid to spend I reckon, including a new cassette, and better tyres, leaving maybe 350 for the actual wheels.  I'm interested in speed and aerodynamics, but also interested in durability and stiffness (I'm 6'5 and 90kg...). 

Finding disc brake wheels in this price range is quite tricky, they tend to be either much cheaper, or much more expensive. But I have a short list of a few: 
- Mavic ksyrium disc, which is about £290 for the 2016 version, or £330 for the 2017 version, and seems to be the best all rounder. 
- My local bike shop has recommended Hope 20FIVE Pro4's, which are about £250, but seem a little heavy.  
- Forza CIrrus Clincher disc, £225, partly cos they look quite nice!
- Fulcrum racing 5 disc's, £300 - local bike shop doesn't like these...
- Pro Lite A21 disc, bit more expensive at about £450. 

There are a few other options of course, and likely a few that I've not yet found too.  

Is there anyone out there in the same dilemma as me, or any knowledgeable folk who know everything about wheels...?!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

zefs | 7 years ago
0 likes

Look for the Cero Ard 23's as well, great wheels so far for me.

Richbeck | 7 years ago
0 likes

Speak to Neil Dunkley at Moonglu

SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
0 likes

For my money I would go for a low spoke count Hope, CX Ray and Stans Alphas...Blinding wheelset.

(It does however, mean you'll never be able to coast whislt wheel sucking ever again)

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
1 like

I've had, and dislike, Mavic wheels before. The spokes are proprietary to Mavic so if you break any you can potentially be left a bit snookered. The Hunts, Hopes and a lot of others use off the shelf spokes so the maintainability factor should prove a lot simpler should you damage a wheel.

TypeVertigo replied to StraelGuy | 7 years ago
1 like

guyrwood wrote:

I've had, and dislike, Mavic wheels before. The spokes are proprietary to Mavic so if you break any you can potentially be left a bit snookered. The Hunts, Hopes and a lot of others use off the shelf spokes so the maintainability factor should prove a lot simpler should you damage a wheel.

Yep, that's pretty much my main reason for disliking Mavic.

If spares availability is a worry, J-bend spokes are best, I'm told. You can buy straight-pull spokes these days almost as easily enough, but J-bend ones are more easily available in most countries.

Also Mavic are pretty late in the game with the whole wider rims trend...it wasn't until only recently that they started offering wider rims and they were pretty stingy with the extra width to boot.

Ogi | 7 years ago
3 likes

I'd go for Hope 20five rim with Hope RS4 hubs - can be found for 380 GBP. They are around 1640g with Sapim Sprint spokes/brass nipples. Years of fault free riding guaranteed.

O

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Another owner of two sets of Hunts here. Can't fault them!

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
0 likes

The strongest Hunt wheels, or some hand builts with 32spokes. Make sure you get Brass nipples.

therevokid | 7 years ago
0 likes

+1 (again) for hunts ... got them as standard on my Mason and they've been through

hell, high water, mud, grit, snow .... you get the idea  1

adapters for all axle needs, bomb proof so far (7200km). Not needed to find the spoke

key yet.

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Is your Synapse running QRs or through-axles? That might help us point you in a better direction. Granted, there are wheelsets that have switchable end caps to cater for both, but in case you go the custom wheelset route, you might run into hubs that are firmly locked into one wheel mounting standard or the other.

I'm actually in a similar situation, but my 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2 is firmly QR at both ends. My current plan is to go custom with the following components given to the wheelbuilder:

• Shimano CX75 hubs, 28H + 1.85 mm freehub spacer for my 10-speed cassette
  • H Plus Son The Hydra rims, 28H
  • Pillar butted spokes and brass nipples
  • Shimano RT86 160 mm CenterLock brake rotors

If you do proceed this same route, watch out for a discount on the CX75 hubs.

If you go with built wheelsets, I've heard just one negative review on Hunt's stuff, and funny enough it was on the All Season Disc wheelset. See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlsIp0KyzXs

Otherwise Hunt's wheels have their fans and happy customers. I'm more inclined to recommend them compared to, say, Mavic.

I hope this helps.

CXR94Di2 replied to TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
2 likes

TypeVertigo wrote:

If you go with built wheelsets, I've heard just one negative review on Hunt's stuff, and funny enough it was on the All Season Disc wheelset. See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlsIp0KyzXs

I couldnt help laugh when the fella said the nipples began to corrode, they're brass!  Riding on that very rough terrain on 28mm tyres is just inviting buckled, dented rims, put on some proper tyres say, 35mm tubeless versions, this will help enormously to stop buckled wheels.

Saying that I have slightly buckled my rear wheel by going over a pot hole, upside I just carried on riding because it has no effect on disc brakes

No wheel, even MTB wheels are immune from damage if you push the limits of use.

Cannondale Dave replied to TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

TypeVertigo wrote:

Is your Synapse running QRs or through-axles? That might help us point you in a better direction. Granted, there are wheelsets that have switchable end caps to cater for both, but in case you go the custom wheelset route, you might run into hubs that are firmly locked into one wheel mounting standard or the other.

Hello, and thanks for all the comments. In relation to the above, I'm pretty sure i'm on standard QR axles.  

Seems to be a load of support for Hunt wheels and/or custom wheels - good suggestions, thanks, I'll look into those.  

Does anyone have anything good / bad to say about about the Mavic wheels - my impression was they were a v popular upgrade?

CXR94Di2 replied to Cannondale Dave | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cannondale Dave wrote:

TypeVertigo wrote:

Hello, and thanks for all the comments. In relation to the above, I'm pretty sure i'm on standard QR axles.  

Seems to be a load of support for Hunt wheels and/or custom wheels - good suggestions, thanks, I'll look into those.  

Does anyone have anything good / bad to say about about the Mavic wheels - my impression was they were a v popular upgrade?

Mavic do a range of wheels from shallow rim to carbon aero, just dependant on your budget

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I would also get Hunt wheels, I have two pairs.  But the cost restriction and wanting speed, look on Ebay for 50mm deep carbon disk brake wheels.  They cost around £350/pair,  Ive just ordered a set for speed riding and odd TT

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for Hunt 90kgs so went with the 4 season dura disc. The difference is night and day compared to the stock wheels that came on my Boardman cx. £248 great value, shod them in a set of 28c tubeless too. 

Jimthebikeguy.com | 7 years ago
0 likes

Contact a wheelbuilder like Strada and get advice. Plus they are cheaper.

hsiaolc | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hunt Wheels.

I have two sets tubless. 4 Season and Aero. 

They also do a more durable version but a bit heavier. 

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/

Highly recommend them. 

Latest Comments