Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Genesis Zero Z.1?

Hi all,

I've got a Genesis Equilibrium 2014 56cm (Reynolds 725 frame/ Tiagra groupset) and thinking it's time for an upgrade, either a complete overall using the existing frame or getting a new bike (and keeping the Equilibrium for my around town/winter hack, and servicing it with replacement Tiagra parts).   I've seen a few good deals on the Genesis 2016 Zero z.1 and wondering if its time to go carbon.

Has anyone on here got any opinions on the Genesis Zero 2016 Z.1? Also, what is the sizing like for the Genesis Zero compared with the Equilibrium?

Unfortunately there are no Genesis suppliers here in NI,  but I previously bought the Equilibrium online and the 56 fits perfectly. I'm wondering whether to go for the Genesis Zero in Medium or Large?

Most of my cycling is done in around the city, including the a daily commute,  general around town useage and the odd 50 miler. The Equilibrium is a perfect all-rounder for this stuff, but I want to get more serious and do longer rides, which is why I'm thinking carbon.

Thoughts welcome

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

drewesq | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi

I've just been in the same dilema, I have a 'dale CAADX 2014 which came with Tiagra 4600, which I never liked nd never felt like they ever working properly. I was debating new bike or upgrade components...

I decided to upgrade to Tiagra 4700 and soo glad I did! The difference between the 2 is night and day, my mrs ha 105 5800 on her cube and the lever feel is more or less the same, plus the look of the 4700 is really pretty in black.

With part of the money I saved I also upgraded to TRP Spyre brakes (stock ones were sh1t) and bought an 80s Condor for use when I just want to pop into town!

I did my first century on this bike and had tonnes of adventures on it. I like the frame and the other bits, so it seemed right to keep it but upgrade it, it was the right decision  1

HowardR | 7 years ago
0 likes

If the budget will stretch to it, may I suggest getting 2 pairs of wheels - one for everyday use & a pair for 'fun' that's as light as you can 'reasonably' get - shod with good tyres (latex tubes if you can't be arsed with the faff of going tubeless). 

HowardR | 7 years ago
0 likes

If the budget will stretch to it, may I suggest getting 2 pairs of wheels - one for everyday use & a pair for 'fun' that's as light as you can 'reasonably' get - shod with good tyres (latex tubes if you can't be arsed with the faff of going tubeless). 

green_tree | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, I've decided to hold off on the carbon for now and focus on upgrading the Equilibrium. The first things on the list include a new drive train and wheels.

HowardR | 7 years ago
1 like

I think that since you aquired you Equlibrium Genesis have changed they sizing - Which I find to be a right arse - their size 54 used to fit me perfectly & with their 'new' sizing part of me needs a 'small', for the stack, and a 'medium' for the reach.

My 'plastic bike' is faily similar to the Zero but with the wheels upgraded to Shimao C24's (which I also use on the Equlibrium when the weather is good) . The saddle & bars are in near enough exactly the same posistion posistions on my Equlibrium 20 & it's carbon sister. The carbon bike is lighter and more rigid than the Equlibrium but my average speed with both bikes over rides of between 1.5 & 6 hours seems to work out pretty much about the same (20mph +/ a little bit depending on distance & conditions)

Ideally - you need both. The carbon bike for high-days and holidays & for when you really fancy a blast around the lanes - the Equlibrium for when you have a fancy to either be more relaxed or to go for something more 'epic' over silly distances or in crap weather.

green_tree | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your replies.  The Equilibrium frame is starting to look a bit gnarly, which is part of the reason why I'm hankering for a new bike. I could upgrade the Equilibrium, though it would involve a complete upgrade including respray which all in could cost nearly as much as the Zero..

Rod Marton | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you want to do longer rides, you do realise that you already own a classic distance machine. You can see plenty of audaxers riding Equilibriums (Equilibria?), and I've ridden mine for distances up to 1200km. Also it's a steel frame, these last, it's too early to think about downgrading it to a winter bike.

With a carbon frame you will lose a bit of weight and gain a bit of speed. But if you want to go faster, upgrading to a lighter pair of wheels will probably give you more of an improvement.

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

I own Equilibrium Disc 725 and absolutely love it. It has taken me through sone long and painful adventures, but it was always great companion and brought comfort to my ass. I've also climbed a lot with it (faster than many chaps on Canyons etc.), so don't be put off by a bit of extra weight.

I'd recommend wheel upgrade with wider some super soft tyres (Corsas) + maybe saddle upgrade and only then maybe groupset upgrade! 

Don't get me wrong...Zero is great and probably will be comfortable...but massive additional cost. Not sure it's worth it. Also, I see the steel one having more character.

MrB123 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm a Zero owner. Superb bike.

I would guess medium would suit you best. I have a large which fits me well at 6'4". They're quite big fitting so I'd guess the large is akin to a big 58 or a 60 from other brands.

Latest Comments