Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wanting to buy a power meter Advice Please.!

Hi

i am looking to buy my 1st power meter, but I am stuck for options. 

I use a specialized roubaiz sl4 2016 & the crank is praxis works zayante turn m30. 

I have been in contact with 4iii precision but they are wanting 495 euros + 15 to ship  

Does anybody use this power meter.??

any other power meter that you can recommend that will fit .??

thanks in advance 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

ajvb65 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm looking at a pedal based system as I have SRAM on the road bike & Shimano on the TT. Was thinking of the Garmin Vector single but like the look of the Favero bePRO for about £420 (single) or £620 (double).

TheFatAndTheFurious | 7 years ago
0 likes

Rather than buying, you could try hiring a Stages power meter:

https://panaguabikes.com/pages/stages-power-meters-as-used-by-team-sky-h...

£30 per month, and hire counts towards full cost if you decide to buy.

I've never tried the shop, and got no relationship with them, but I stumbled across the site when googling power meter options. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this approach.

Jamie1977 replied to TheFatAndTheFurious | 7 years ago
0 likes

TheLonelyOne wrote:

Rather than buying, you could try hiring a Stages power meter:

https://panaguabikes.com/pages/stages-power-meters-as-used-by-team-sky-h...

£30 per month, and hire counts towards full cost if you decide to buy.

I've never tried the shop, and got no relationship with them, but I stumbled across the site when googling power meter options. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this approach.

stages don't do one for my crank. 

SilverMerlin | 7 years ago
0 likes

I like the idea of the powerpod. I always go for something that is a bit innovative yet still works well. For my level of training  it is not worth spending loads of money on a more expensive unit, which won't be that much more accurate.  

I am a convert to power as a metric. I started using it as a meter is part of my turbo trainer.  It is much more accuarte than using heart rate when training so it would be good to continue using it outside.

It seems that the Powerpod is available in th UK from Pro Bike Kit at:

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-power-meters/powerpod-powermeter/11280537.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000008963581&gclid=CIaD1s--o9ICFc8W0wodUPwOeg&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLKa4c--o9ICFeWlUQodVKoD2g&variation=11280538

ibr17xvii replied to SilverMerlin | 7 years ago
0 likes

SilverMerlin wrote:

I like the idea of the powerpod. I always go for something that is a bit innovative yet still works well. For my level of training  it is not worth spending loads of money on a more expensive unit, which won't be that much more accurate.  

I am a convert to power as a metric. I started using it as a meter is part of my turbo trainer.  It is much more accuarte than using heart rate when training so it would be good to continue using it outside.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-power-meters/powerpod-powermeter/11280537.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000008963581&gclid=CIaD1s--o9ICFc8W0wodUPwOeg&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLKa4c--o9ICFeWlUQodVKoD2g&variation=11280538

The Powerpod does seem the place to start if you want to dip your toe into the power meter waters (relatively) cheaply.

Jamie1977 replied to SilverMerlin | 7 years ago
0 likes

SilverMerlin wrote:

yea just like me,I think gonna give one a go. 

Jamie1977 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have never used a power meter yet & cant really justify paying nearly £500 for the 4iiii precision 

Man of Lard | 7 years ago
0 likes

In the last 9 months I've had the joy of using two separate power meters, one of which is a 4iiii Precision (I managed to get access to both via my LBS after a horrible experience with a Stages G2).

All I can say is that both power meters agreed within a watt or two pretty much the whole time.

At the end, I am more than happy to have bought the 4iiii.

Jamie1977 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I will have a look at the power pod & see what I think. 

Thank you 

hoffbrandm | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've been having a look at the power pod - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/powerpod-depth-review.html

bit different and seemingly very good. damn bit cheaper too since I dont have 500 + Garmin money.

might be worth a look

Yorkshire wallet replied to hoffbrandm | 7 years ago
0 likes

hoffbrandm wrote:

I've been having a look at the power pod - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/powerpod-depth-review.html

bit different and seemingly very good. damn bit cheaper too since I dont have 500 + Garmin money.

might be worth a look

I own a power pod and by and large it works fairly well. As you already know the rainmaker has reviewed in massive depth and it seemed good enough for him so I guessed it would be good enough for me. The power figures seem to be accurate compared to the online calculators I've used to double check rides e.g a climb I did at 16% at 397W on the powerpod came out as 387 using an online checker, so not bad. Certainly good enough for pacing yourself. I use 3s averaging but I've also used 10s if I've not been going anywhere in a hurry.

I also like the Isaac software as it takes into account windspeed and can also give you an optimal time for your ride in perfect conditions.

The only annoyance I've had with it really is the battery doesn't last that long in winter and ideally have your bike parked up near a powe socket to run a USB charger. This is because sometimes after you've taken it off it recalibrates itself for the first 8 minutes of a ride and you'll get really high or low figures during that period, so ideally just leave it attached. Useful that you can swap between bikes if you've got a spare ANT+ speed sensor though.

Not sure on the prices now but I got mine via Ebay US when the exchange rate was better and paid about £230 inc duties etc. Probably not worth it now.

Next

Latest Comments