Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

braking issues

Hi

I had a bit of a squeaky bum moment at the weekend whilst braking for a bend and nothing happening, I've noticed a gradual deteriation in the braking on my winter bike over the last couple of months, I've tried all the usual stuff like cleaning the rim surface, replacing the pads but nothing seems to be making much improvement.

Could it just be time to replace the rims? The wheelset is hope hubs on mavic open pros, they are a few years old now. I've looked on the rim for some sort of wear indicator, but nothing jumps out at me.

Is it tell tale that the rim is nearing the end of it's life if the braking is rubbish.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

bechdan | 7 years ago
0 likes

good point - I forget to check my calipers are moving freely, having said that I dont remember ever having a dual pivot seize up, they seem very low maintenance

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

I rode open pro CDs until they wore thru (nearly) and the braking never diminished. I can't think of any reason they should (unless they are ceramics, but once you were thru to the alloy surface you should still have relatively good braking). I think the gunked or jammed calipers / cables is most likely as you've changed the blocks too. In 35 years of riding I've never had brake performance reduce due to rim wear.

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
1 like

Are these Mavic Open Pro "ceramic"? Ceramic braking surfaces have a tendency - when braking in wet - to polish/smooth the surface. If not, I still would do as others commented.

bechdan | 7 years ago
0 likes

heres my checklist when brakes arent as good as they should be - 

Are the pads aligned correctly on the rim? sometimes taking the wheel on/off can knock the pads.

Are they balanced i.e wheel doesnt deviate when brakes applied

Are the pads / rim clean

Are the pads old and need replacing?

Does the cable need replacing, if so when was the cable outer changed last?

If all this is ok then see if you can borrow a wheel to see if the rim makes any difference (ive got a second wheelset so this makes it easier).

Phat boy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'll take a look at the cables, it is on my winter bike, so it does take a bit of a battering.

Nat Jas Moe | 7 years ago
2 likes

Have you looked at the cables. I have had this and it's been a case of ceased cables and gunked up calipers. Just a thought.

Latest Comments