Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc brakes or di2 on a Canyon

Morning!

I'm looking at buying a new bike and have had a couple of personal recommendations on Canyons. My budget is up to £2,750 so this covers two Endurace models. Same price but one is the older CF 9.0 with traditional rim brakes and di2 and the other is the updated CLX with hydraulic ultegra. 

The bike will mostly be a dry weather bike as I'm converting my cable disc braked Synapse for winter use.   I'm 193cm and 85kg so I guess the few grams of weight saved between the models isn't going to be a huge factor. 

Little nervous about the online model and spending that amount of cash without a test ride but I'm investing in a bike fit at the local university.  Plus my mate spent £5k on his and is overjoyed, so that's something  1

Any views either way?  Looked at the Rose Xeon that has both within my budget but they appear to be non 'standard' thru axle sizes. This is a bike that needs to last me a few years.  Open to other suggestions in the comfort/endurance orientated segment  

Thanks in advance. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

barongreenback | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all for the views. Was also tempted by the Roubaix after all the good reviews but the price rise last week makes it seem like poor value for money. 

@unconstituted that's what I may do. Annoyingly mechanical frames are not di2 compatible if I wanted to stay Shimano. Pretty sure though they will go that way soon though. 

srchar | 7 years ago
1 like

Get to a bike shop and ride a bike with Di2.  You might not like it - I didn't, much preferring mechanical Campag Chorus. FWIW, I didn't like Campag EPS when I tried it either, although at least it didn't have Di2's curiously close together buttons.

fcuk81 | 7 years ago
1 like

https://www.cyclelane.co.uk/m4b122s6p9601/WILIER-GTR-SL-Ultegra-Race-201...

I'd be tempted by the above. It's below budget so could upgrade wheels. For a summer dry bike I don't think discs are vital. Having tried di2 when I was looking for my summer bike, I stuck with mechanical Dura-Ace.

Have fun shopping.

sergius | 7 years ago
1 like

I've got the Rose Xeon, the thru axles are only slightly unusual (12mm rear and 15mm front), I've just upgraded the wheels on mine and had no problems with various options (any DTSwiss hub is fine, the hunt wheels I ordered just required a £7 adaptor to convert the front to 15mm).

I run Di2 on the Rose over the summer months, it's always a little disapointing to go back to mechanical on my winter bike - but hardly the end of the world.  I certainly appreciate the difference between the two when summer comes around; but it's not something you can't live without.

The main issue for me is the constant stream of people having issues with Canyon orders, with Rose I still had to wait a couple of months for my bike (I ordered one a few days after they launched the new model with hydro disks and Di2) - but the expected delivery date was spot on and the comms were clear.  I'm tempted by the Aeroad, but with the price increases due to the weak pound and the delivery issues - I've decided to upgrade my Rose further.

Another point, Rose will customise any aspect of the bike at order time with no fuss.  Canyon you get as-is, if you need to change the stem/bars etc then it's a case of going via customer services and returning parts etc - which struck me as a potential faff.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
1 like

Get the disc version then upgrade it to eTap later when you've got the cash at some point. Can get eTap for under a grand if you look around and it's piss easy to install. 

Then you've got it all. Can't do it the other way around. 

Missus had Di2 on her Aeroad, which I've now removed. It was okay, but retro and messy looking compared to wireless.  

barongreenback | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. Interesting about being tough to go bsck to mechanical. I think the wheels on the endurace retail at £499 so not the most expensive but pricey enough!  

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
1 like

difficult choice. I read that people who like di2 rave about it and so they couldn't go back to cabe shifting. So di2 summer and cable winter coukd be an issue.

If you don't intend to ride on the wet, then disc brakes may not be necessary. Although I did just go for discs on an aeroad, purely because I didn't want to trash wheels that good by using them as consumable braking surface. if the wheels on the endurace are relatively cheap to replace I'd probably go for di2. Or even save your money and go for cable gears and brakes.

Also if you intend swapping wheels for any reason ( training/racing) or aero/windy days then rim brakes may be better, any minor difference in disk position between hubs will lead to brake rub which is pretty annoying.

Latest Comments