Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help required with post mount disc brakes!

I am currently speccing up my new Caad12 disc and I require a post mount disc caliper for the fork. I am looking at a Shimano di2 build. Clearly the Shimano rs785 fits the bill perfectly however nearly everywhere is out of stock with restocking dates slipping further and further back. It sounds like it's being discontinued to me but are there any moves to replace it with another post mount caliper?

I know flat mount is the future but surely they will still cater for the post mount world or will we have to go to a MTB option? I know this is a perfectly good option but I'm trying to make it look as uniform as possible. The rs785 and rs805 at least look pretty similar. I love the look of the xtr trail units but I'm not sure my OCD will allow me to have one on the front and a black flat mount unit on the rear!  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Butty | 7 years ago
0 likes

There is always the BR-R785. It has the hydraulic hose connected via a banjo rather than the RS785.

48 Euro each at Bike24

TypeVertigo replied to Butty | 7 years ago
0 likes

Butty wrote:

There is always the BR-R785. It has the hydraulic hose connected via a banjo rather than the RS785.

48 Euro each at Bike24

It seems like you could also use any MTB hydraulic brake caliper. If your frame and fork have Post Mount hardpoints, there doesn't seem to be any incompatibility between MTB and road bike hardware, as there was with cable-pulled brakes.

Indeed, some participants of the Dirty Kanza 200-mile gravel race paired ST-R785 hydraulic+Di2 STI levers with XTR BR-M987 brake calipers. If the R785 caliper is hard to pin down, one could opt for its Deore XT BR-M785 brother.

kev-s | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thats  a bit strange from a manufactuer like Cannondale, maybe there using up old batches of forks

Just use the rear adaptor and run the xtr calipers front and rear

I used to run the XT calipers with the R785 levers  and they worked fine, even used to run superstar components brake pads, you can buy 4 sets for the price of one set of shimano pads and they work just as well

Plenty of other post mount mtb calipers out there you can use too, some nice zee or saint four pot calipers could be a little over kill though lol

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
0 likes

I understand your difficulty finding post mount calipers as industry has moved to flat mounts. Shimano rs785 post mount is avilable in the states on eBay, Amazon and various online dealers. An eBay seller in Germany has 5 available. http://ebay.to/2lYrM0e

richcc | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had same problem trying to source post mount calipers for my build and it doesn't seem possible to use an adapter to make flat mount calipers work on post mounts. Kevin at Vanillabikes managed to get hold of some for me, though advised that levers and calipers come as a set. Good luck. 

kev-s | 7 years ago
1 like

If the frame and fork are brand new how come the fork uses post mount and the frame uses flat mount?

You can buy this adaptor and run post mount caliper on the rear

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Shimano/Rear-Post-Mount-Calliper-to-Fla...

fullers1979 replied to kev-s | 7 years ago
0 likes

kev-s wrote:

If the frame and fork are brand new how come the fork uses post mount and the frame uses flat mount?

You'll have to ask Cannondale that one! I'm guessing they've used a fork they've had in production for a while. Yeah I'm toying with the idea of using two post mount XTR's and having an adapter on the rear. 

Al__S replied to kev-s | 7 years ago
0 likes

kev-s wrote:

It seems to be a really common configuration. I've just got a Rapide frame and fork set set up that way, and was riding a Norco for a bit that was the same.

As fa as I can tell the geometry means that flat mount onto post mount isn't feasible, the opposite is OK though. Indeed, post mount happily adapts onto the now little used IS mount too.

Latest Comments