Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheel rim damage - question

So I'm riding into work this morning.  Braking as I come down to a bend on the shared-use path (never actually seen a pedestrian there, but hey).  Sudden scraping noise from the rear wheel followed by a thunk-thunk-thunk noise.  Immediately stop.  Spin the wheel with my hand and get the same thunking.  Check the brake blocks (V-brakes) and the off-side (not drive-side) brake block is off-line so I adjust it and spin the wheel again: same noise.

I ran my finger around the rim and found a 'spike'.  Right on the wear line there's a little spike of metal, almost a small cone about 3-4mm diameter and about 1-2mm high.

The tyre is still inflated, but the spike was catching on the rear brakes.  So, I disconnected the rear brakes and walked the rest of the way into work.

So my question is: is this an ex-rim.  Has it shuffled off this mortal coil?  Or can I grind it flat again or something?

(Would appreciate any adice on here, before I go into my LBS and look stupid).

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

brooksby | 7 years ago
4 likes

No - I probably should have done that.  Anyway, I had a word with my LBS and went down there at lunchtime, and they tell me that the rim is a bit worn but nowhere near dead.  The mysterious metal lump is (they think) a piece of metal which has been picked up and then they said "welded" (though I suspect not literally) onto the rim by the brakes.  Weird: never heard of it before but he said they do get it from time to time.  The mechanic chipped it off with a chisel, and then sanded it smooth: good as new (well, good as it was... ).

DaSy | 7 years ago
1 like

Sounds very odd!

Have you got a photo of it, to get some idea of what it is?

Latest Comments