Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SRAM eTap Red Shifters (not disc break) BUT with cable/mechanical Disc-Breaks?

Does anyone know if you are safe to use the original eTap shifters (caliper) but run them to mechanicle 'cable attuated' disc breaks instead of calipers?

The reason being I want to build up a CAAD12 Disc Frameset with eTap and HATE the hydrolic shifters with their massive alien head.

I know, I know, there will be those of you who say mechanical are not as good as hyrodrolic, etc, etc.

But I just like cable disc, easy to fix, etc.

Many thanks! Ian.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

By the way, good luck with the calipers on the CAAD12. For some strange reason the calipers are Post Mount up front and Flat Mount at the back. For TRP Spyres and Avid BB7Rs, at least, I'm pretty sure Post Mount units are still plentiful. TRP does make a Flat Mount version of the Spyre which has released not too long ago.

Ian Allardyce | 7 years ago
1 like

Thanks lads, pretty much what I thought, that it would be ok with some planning.

And yes, I hear you that it seems odd to to put eTap on a CAAD12 frame. But the CAAD12 is a great frame, and so my thinking is I'm puting the saved money from carbon into the drive train.

The original caliper etap (shifter/derailers) is dropping in price all the time and I have a bunch of the other components already.

It's also because I will be using the bike on a Direct Drive Trainer in the winter months and I'm still not convinced that carbon can withstand hard sessions (there was a great write-up about that on here a few weeks back). But that's a whole other thread!

Thanks again. Ian.

watlina | 7 years ago
1 like

My LBS (Terry Wright Cycles 01778 344 051) did a recent customer build of a Peter Sagan Edition Venge Vias Disc with an eTap TRP HY/RD setup. They had it displayed up on the wall 

I'm sure they'd be happy to talk with you about any issues they had putting it all together

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I don't see why this should be a problem. TRP Spyres at the very least should be compatible with any short-pull road bike brake lever, SRAM included.

If you really, REALLY wanted to put disc brakes on a Campagnolo bike, cable-pull ones and cable-pulled hydraulics (TRP HyRd, JuinTech R1) are the only way to go until Campagnolo release their hydraulic systems.

bobbydazzler | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use TRP HyRd disc brakes with SRAM Rival 10-speed standard shifters no problem.  I had to get the LBS to sort out the cable pull because I'm not especially good at fettling stuff - they just did as part of a service.

It's likely though that you'll have quite a lot of lever pull before the brakes bite, but when they do it's great!

PeakBoy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Doable, but may need confirmation that the cable pull amount is compatible. 

TRP Hy/RD calipers with Yokozuna Reaction Cables recommended, but will need 'adjustment' as the cable pull is optimised for Shimano 11 speed levers.

As has been indicated, seems like very expensive levers with not so expensive braking. 

Nixster | 7 years ago
0 likes

Not done it but can't see why there would be a problem with this as the cable disc calipers are intended to be used in this way. 

Spending twice the cost of the frame on shifters and mechs is an unusual balance but hey, if you want to, why not.

Latest Comments