Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chipped chainstay repair

Hi,

I installed a new Hollowgram Si Crankset on my Cannondale Supersix Evo. I've had a few occasions when shifting to the smaller chainring that the chain becomes snagged on the chainstay and the result can be seen here: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnxxeTmvKEGui_E-pBci4xRD8prILA

The epoxy has been chipped off but looks like the carbon underneath is fine. 

Can anyone recommend how to repair? Did a quick Google search and seen nail varnish and Araldite mentioned.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Shav | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have booked the bike in on Friday for the original supplier to review the damage and look at the front derailleur setup.

It is a strange one for sure. I have a 52-36 chainring and short cage rear derailleur and it's sitting in the normal position so doesn't look like a slack chain. 

Happens very infrequently and always when I shift to the smaller chainring whilst going very slowly.

FMOAB | 7 years ago
1 like

Ouch!  I would say that both SingleSpeed and Yorkshire wallet are right.

Nail varnish works great.  You can generally get a good colour match and it forms a tough protective shell.  It definitely prevents any carbon threads from fraying, just take it easy and apply it in thin layers. Heli tape or a frame protector patch would add peace of mind.

Personally I'd do both of those and add a chain catcher for good measure (I know that's not the damaged part, but if you have shifting problems you can avoid the possibility of garotting your bottom bracket for the sake of a tenner).

Where the damage is seems a bit odd.  Is your chain too long or is the spring on the rear mech too weak or should you be using a longer cage?  I'm suspecting that you are on a compact chainset and that the chain has enough slack in it to get  "sucked in" to the chainring and stay.  If you can lose a couple of links, I'd give that a try, but depending on what your setup is, you may need a longer cage on the rear mech or a newer version with greater capacity.

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
2 likes

After it's fixed stick some clear helicopter tape over the contact area.

Shav | 7 years ago
1 like

Thanks. It was the Cannondale dealer I bought the bike from that changed the crank and setup the gears. It's only happened a few times but guess I should take it to them to review the setup.

SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
1 like

I would learn how to set up your gears...or take it to someone who can.

Then suggest some white nail varnish.

turboprannet replied to SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
4 likes

SingleSpeed wrote:

I would learn how to set up your gears...or take it to someone who can.

Then suggest some white nail varnish.

How very helpful. 

Latest Comments