Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New carbon bike hole on forks

Hi,
I have bought a new bike,but the forks have a small hole(2mm)on the inside.Its more like a cavity,as it has carbon behind it.
Will this be ok,or should I send it back?
Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

clubman | 7 years ago
0 likes

I ended up keeping the bike,as it was in the sale,so saved me £500,and I didnt want to miss out on it(they were almost sold out)
Plus I couldnt be arsed packing it and all the hassle of returning.
They gave me 20 quid back.
It also has testing figures in the nanuak,so it should have passed the stress tests
The frame is warranted for 3 years,so if anything is gonna go wrong,it will hopefully be within that time.
Not had an problems so far.

mikebelluk | 7 years ago
0 likes

That looks like it there was a bit of clag in the mould when it was made, which would be a cosmetic rather than a structural fault, however if you're not 100% happy get it replaced.

ttthew | 7 years ago
0 likes

I just bought a Cube Attain GTC PRO and found a similar hole on the inside of one of the forks when I got it home. How did you get yours sorted? 

clubman | 7 years ago
0 likes

Its a cube attain

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Those forks look to be poorly finished. It is probably a drain hole, or breather hole during manufacture. What make of fork are they? Another photo slightly further away.

Swiss | 7 years ago
0 likes

Send it back

clubman | 7 years ago
0 likes

It has threaded holes for mud guards,but this is one hole that is not unifotm...zoom in on photo,you will see that its clearly a flaw in manufacture

cjwebb | 7 years ago
0 likes

It looks like a drainage hole. I have similar on my Specialized.

Do you have same hole on both forks?

flobble replied to cjwebb | 7 years ago
0 likes

cjwebb wrote:

It looks like a drainage hole. I have similar on my Specialized. Do you have same hole on both forks?

e.g. for mounting mudguards...

Swiss | 7 years ago
0 likes

What bike is It?

clubman replied to Swiss | 7 years ago
0 likes
Swiss wrote:

What bike is It?

Its a Cube Attain

Im pretty sure its not a drainage hole as its not uniform.Zoom in on photo to see what I mean.
Plus its not actually a hole.As I said,its more like a cavity in the carbon.It has carbon inside,so im not sure if purely cosmetic.

clubman | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yeah,thats what I thought.I will phone them and see what they say.
Thanks

waynem1983 | 7 years ago
0 likes

100% return it. Not worth the risk and if you spent a lot of money you expect a perfect product. 

clubman | 7 years ago
0 likes

Photo of hole

Latest Comments