Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Red Light On Helmet with Rucksack -- Invisible

I have seen this several times now.  Please don't ride with only a red light on your helmet. As you tip your head forward, if you are wearing a rucksack, your red light is invisible from the rear. 

I came up on a cyclist today and told him he was invisible. He pointed to the red light and I pointed to his rucksack and said it was hiding it.  His other red light wasnt working 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

alansmurphy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Out tonight for 35 or so miles, light on helmet, seatpost (times 2 in case one fails), rear stay and one around the ankle.

None of them cost the earth but you'd have to have one hell of an excuse to miss (or should that be hit) me...

Al__S | 7 years ago
0 likes

Remember that legally the requirement is that a light is attached to the bike, between 350mm and 1500mm from the ground, centrally or offside (right hand side).

No issue with having additional lights, but for legal purposes you're riding without a light if you don't meet that standard with at least one light.

Need to have a reflector too- mudguard mounted ones are ideal.

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
1 like

What about 'man-bun' lights, pretty sure there is a need for those too!

DaveE128 | 7 years ago
1 like

The one I see most often is people on mountain bikes with rear mudguards and seat post mounted lights, where the mudguard obscures the light from directly behind. I find other people's lack of spatial awareness puzzling sometimes!

Leviathan | 7 years ago
1 like

I'm just about to launch a kickstarter for my new cycling specific beard light range "BeardyLight"  - works on everything from a "Castaway" full beard to designer stubble. 

Only £89.99 for 25 lumens of fashionable beard lighting magic! Produced in the UK. Order today! Or visit our boutique shop in Shoreditch.

rjfrussell | 7 years ago
1 like

Beware just being anywhere near Donald Trump.  He sucks all light and hope out of the world.

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
1 like

Commuting by bike in London I see riders in winter with the tiniest of rear lights, those £5 single LED jobs, barely visible at the best of times, even with new batteries. Wearing black. Good luck being seen on a busy road through a wet windscreen. Not that I expect motorists to pay any attention of course, but jeez.

STiG911 replied to matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

Commuting by bike in London I see riders in winter with the tiniest of rear lights, those £5 single LED jobs, barely visible at the best of times, even with new batteries. Wearing black. Good luck being seen on a busy road through a wet windscreen. Not that I expect motorists to pay any attention of course, but jeez.

Very much this - lights don't cost the earth next to that posh phone in you pocket, so why skimp on cheap tat?

Or just have a light at one end - usually the back. Yesus.

alexb | 7 years ago
4 likes

On a slightly more serious note, in reasonably heavy traffic, lights at rucksac level, or higher up make the cyclist look further up the road than they actually are, compared to other cyclists. It's an odd optical illusion that I've seen several times.

Also, the combination of dark clothes and only a single rear light with no reflectives in lots of city traffic can make it hard to work out where the cyclist is, especially on rainy nights when there are lots of distracting reflections etc. I hate driving at night in traffic for this reason.

Bikebikebike | 7 years ago
8 likes

If you have a very long beard, then it can obscure your front light.  More of a problem around the trendy parts of east London.

hawkinspeter replied to Bikebikebike | 7 years ago
6 likes

Bikebikebike wrote:

If you have a very long beard, then it can obscure your front light.  More of a problem around the trendy parts of east London.

It's when you get it caught in your front wheel that things get a bit hairy.

VonPinkhoffen replied to Bikebikebike | 7 years ago
4 likes

Bikebikebike wrote:

I'm just about to launch a kickstarter for my new cycling specific beard light range "LightyBeard"  - works on everything from a "Castaway" full beard to designer stubble. 

Only $89.99 for 25 lumens of fashionable beard lighting magic! Order today! Ships in 2021!*

*Probably. Unless I get drunk and blow all the cash on hookers and blow. Again. 

davel replied to VonPinkhoffen | 7 years ago
2 likes
VonPinkhoffen wrote:

Bikebikebike wrote:

I'm just about to launch a kickstarter for my new cycling specific beard light range "LightyBeard"  - works on everything from a "Castaway" full beard to designer stubble. 

Only $89.99 for 25 lumens of fashionable beard lighting magic! Order today! Ships in 2021!*

*Probably. Unless I get drunk and blow all the cash on hookers and blow. Again. 

Take my money! I Iove all this combining-two-things-into-one innovation. It's so now and so crowdfund!

As soon as I get off my arse and patent my rear mech-mudguard 'mechguard' I'll be a bazillionaire. Either that or my app that makes your Di2 tap out the velominati rules in morse code.

When I get them both working I'll combine them all

brooksby | 7 years ago
3 likes

Don't forget cyclists (generally in the city) with a red light on their seatpost, who forget that a longer coat  will completely obscure it.

And people who have a red light in the pocket of their rucksack, but then put a Hump cover or similar over it, so they end up with a diffuse glow like ET's belly...

dottigirl | 7 years ago
1 like

Ditto some saddle bags.

psling replied to dottigirl | 7 years ago
2 likes

dottigirl wrote:

Ditto some saddle bags.

Blimey dottigirl, you must be really short if your saddlebag obscures your helmet light... smiley

(ps I do know what you're saying though!)

Ditto hoods on jackets.

Latest Comments