Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Any users Mavic Aksium Disc

Looking at new wheels for my commuter, Possibly looking at the above but toying with the Hunt disc at £249 any reviews/advice welcome.

At 90kgs i'm not exactly svelte, the weight limits on both are fine. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Great stuff, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with them.

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bought the hunts coming fitted with swalbe tubeless. 

MoutonDeMontagne | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got the non-disc askiums as my winter wheels and agree with the 'indestructable but heavy and a bit dead feel wise' comments above. If i'd had the money I'd have gone for the hunts and run them tubeless. So far been commuting on a set of tubeless Schwalbe G-ones on the cross bike and so far zero punctures, and super comfy/grippy at 50psi. Had 1 puncture non commuting which was caused by a 2 inch nail off road, so can't really grumble. Having the sealent/tubeless combo does make you feel better about riding over the crap covered roads the South east has to offer during winter. If I could afford it, I'd offload the askiums for the hunts as winter wheels on the road bike complete with a tubeless tyre. 

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the feedback everyone. Want the HUnts but a bit skint atm after a fall on ice the other week and few new parts, now if I go Hunt do I get them to fit Tubeless for me. 

Not sure about them yet, in 3 sets of duranos i've had 2 puntures one from a badly executed bunny hop and one from chatting too much and running over a coke can. Ah if only i had a large pot of money to spend! 

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

I'm having Aksium Disc at the moment. Note that I'm 85kg heavy + most of the time I have 5-10kg backpack. So far I've done around 15,000km with them and they are still going strong. Note however that they are heavy but I perceive them as indestructible. I haven't changed the bearings so far, as the QRM bearings seem pretty great. I've maintained them every 5,000km - by stripping the freehub, degrease carefully everything (includign two pawls), oil it and bring it back. I re-tensioned (tightened) the spokes only once i when I noticed that couple of spokes were a bit loose. After that, the wheels felt noticably stiffer and faster. This was maybe at the 10,000km mark. Spokes (steel), nipples (brass) and rims are tough.

The only negative of these wheels, other than the weight, is the infamous bushing in the freehub body. Original part is utter crap. What it did to me was that it drove me mad at around 3-5000km when the whole freehub had a play and started clicking and creaking. I changed bottom bracket, replaced a crank (albeit for a nicer one that I always wanted), was inspecting QRs, stem, handlebar, seatpost....absolutely everything. It took me 2 months to figure out the problem. The solution: do not buy new freehub (35GBP), but get this eBay plastic bushing replacement (I think it was 10 GBP). It lasts me every since - pure silence, no play. Final point is the fact that many people think of them as harsh and stiff (general point about alloy Mavics). I can't help you with that yet as I have very little to compare against, but maybe soon I get something wider and lighter - custom built.

Conclusion: I would recommend Aksiums if weight and pure speed is no factor, and reliability is key.

Note also that Hunts would possibly be a notable improvement in the speed element. People also praise their reliable Novatec hubs and tough rims.

Hope this helps.

O

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
0 likes

The " shreik of death" is usually resolved with a few drops of mineral oil. 

Man of Lard replied to Anthony.C | 7 years ago
0 likes

Anthony.C wrote:

The " shreik of death" is usually resolved with a few drops of mineral oil. 

Not when it very suddenly becomes a bidirectional freehub (no engagement in either direction, just freewheeling). Both did the same. The third (second replacement) set are still here, demoted to the turbo.

bigshape | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've done around 10k km on my aksium disks and the only issue I've had is one loose spoke.
have banged them through a fair amount of potholes and done a few woodland excursions as well.
may not be the lightest, but they're certainly strong.

part_robot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Heavy. Handle ok. Robust over bumps.... borderline indestructible at 68kg... but both wheels suffered from creaking hubs after 7,000km and were replaced under warrantee after considerable investigating by Mavic and my LBS. I'm not alone I gather.

Man of Lard replied to part_robot | 7 years ago
0 likes

part_robot wrote:

Heavy. Handle ok. Robust over bumps.... borderline indestructible at 68kg... but both wheels suffered from creaking hubs after 7,000km and were replaced under warrantee after considerable investigating by Mavic and my LBS. I'm not alone I gather.

Same here (I'm a 90kg+ chap) - the freehub gave the "Mavic shriek of death" around 6500km. Replaced under warranty. The replacement made it through 6500km and I thought it was all going swimmingly. By 7000 it too was back for a replacement.

I assumed that the freehub must be made of camembert or brie - they really need to change the material to mimolette.

Bought a pair of Hope Pro 4 (with Mavic rims) and they've sailed past the 8000km mark without a single noise of any description (apart from the epic Hope freehub buzz  1 - but I rarely hear that because I'm not one to stop pedalling )

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have just ordered a pair of £249 Hunt disc wheels. They will arrive this week. I'm using 38mm tubeless tyres. Also cheap lifeline disc rotors. These are rated for 115kg rider weight.

gonedownhill | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have them on my commuter which I built up just over a year ago. They have had absolutely no reliability problems so far.

I have the rim version on my other bike and the disc ones feel sluggish by comparison however I do have some pretty heavy 32mm tyres on them and the bike is generally heavier  so that is probably why.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had non-disc Aksiums on my winter bike but found the ride very harsh. After I wrecked one in a pothole I replaced them with the cheaper Hunt rim brake wheels and they're great. A much smoother ride than the Aksiums and all parts are replaceable from the UK.

Latest Comments