Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddlebag vs pannier weight distrubution.

So I've currently got a great pannier rack and ortlieb bags.

But thing is, I often go on long commutes home, especially in summer, and dislike having the pannier, I feel like it holds me back a bit and maybe psychologically, feels like there is weight to one side, even though I'm only carrying a couple of bits, not much at all.

So I'm thinking about a bike packing style seat bag - the PDW Bindle Rack.

Does anyone think I'm just insane for wanting to remove the rack and should just live with it?

have I already got the best solution?

Critically, would the weight distribution being raised make for worse feeling ride? (max 5kg anyway, I'm only thinkinging trousers, shirt, maybe shoes, some wash stuff.)

Opinions welcome.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

gunswick | 7 years ago
0 likes

Taken from a very similar thread I posted in yesterday!:  Pannier, Rucksack or Saddle Bag.

http://road.cc/content/forum/217437-saddle-bag-or-rucksack-whats-best

Use a large saddlebag, apidura 17 litre for example. My Topeak normal sized tool filled saddle bag goes in first, then lunch/protein drink, shirts/clothes etc. Laptop left at work mostly, if needed at home then rucksack the laptop only. U-lock can also fit in the saddle bag (under the smaller Topeak tool saddle bag), laptop charger also in there. Very versatile, waterproof essentially, aero / balanced left/right on the bike, lights attach on it nicely. One bag to fit & carry in and out of the office. No rack for extra weight / breaking with panniers = normal road bike at the weekends when you remove the large saddlebag. No sweaty uncomfortable rucksack. Same cost overall. Less wear and tear on clothing from rucksack straps.

I have done all 3 options for a 9-14 mile commute, hands down this option is best (all year round).

ktache | 7 years ago
0 likes

Pump and tools in an excellent Chrome large utility bag.  Fits my rather long topeak pump.  Tools include: a Park mini chain brute, 90's classic Cool Tool, Pedros Milk levers, "fast" patches, Topeak digital pressure gauge and emergency tyre boots.  Spare tube sits in an old and tatty bag on the strap of my TimBuk2 large custom courier bag.  Tools go in when on the bike, come out when not.  I cannot travel light.  

I rode many years with the rucksack, some quite good ones, once I tried the courier bag I knew the I wasn't going back to the rucksack.  So much easier access, don't have to take it off and open the flap up.  Wide not tall  so can delve better.  And the capacity I can get would seem like a big, stuff rattling around rucksack.

oops, wrong thread meant to post in ther one about panniers vs rucksack.

shutuplegz | 7 years ago
1 like

I've been commuting for many years now with a Topeak Dynapack DX. 10litres, 4.5kg limit, fits everything I need for the day at work such as clothes (not shoes - keep them at work) wallet, phone, food etc plus it is expandable for the occasional larger load and I'm sure I've exceeded the weight limit many times.

It is pretty waterproof without the included rain cover which I only really use in deluge conditions.

Years ago I had the same dilemma as you and I only really needed one pannier but didn't fancy having all the weight on one side. So I looked at panniers with a rack top bag only, a few options there but but I thought I'm still carrying around that large rack which seemed overkill so that leads to on to large saddle bags and bags that fit to the seatpost. Topeak do some other removeable post mount bags but the thing I like about the Dynapack is that the whole bag and support are removed from the bike when you aren't using it and you are only left with a relatively small bracket on the seatpost.

The other problem with pannier bags is that they get filthy (on the roads I ride anyway!) even with mudguards fitted, just because they are low down. With a seatpost mounted bag it is lifted away from all the muck.

I seriously considered some saddle bags, some of which have a greater capacity than the Dynapack DX, but the main problem with these is that they are all soft bags and to fit work clothing into the usually long thin bag would mean creasing my ironed work shirt! With the Dynapack, as it is a 'hard'-shell design (like a suitcase) I can fold my work stuff in such a way that it doesn't get creased. I'm not that big though so someone with larger clothing requirements may struggle to fit everything in!

One minor problem is real-estate for lights etc, with all of the seatpost and saddle bracket space (if you have a FIZIK saddle) being blocked out but it does have a space for a rear light to clip on the back and I always mount one on one of the seat-stays too.

I have always found rucksacks uncomfortable in anything other than bitterly cold weather and they tend to prematurely damage/wear expensive rain jackets and other jerseys.

I have also considered taking a weeks' worth of stuff on a Monday (or even two weeks!) and then carrying nothing all week until the Friday but the main down-side here is that I normally like to do a longer ride on a Friday and so don't want to be lugging a bag full of dirty washing on that day! If only I could arrange for a laundering service from work over each weekend..........! 

hoffbrandm | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the comments. Having been surfing the internet for basically the last 2 days. It seems that a pannier is truley, hands down, the best way to lug crap back and forth.

I've ridden for a couple days with minimal load in the pannier - change of clothes - and tried to feel it. Frankly I still sprint, I still rocket off the line, I still keep up with the traffic, I still bomb down hills. So speed wise, handling wise. its not slowing me, and if it is, then I imagine ANY load would slow me just as much.

BUT. and I know I'm being a child. - rack and pannier looks sh** in my opinion.

I adore the look of my bike without rack, without mudguards, without the lock (mounted on the other side of the pannier)

And a saddle bag may look nicer, I think.. but I need to think about where I mount everything too. the lights and rear facing camera.

I think that i'll have to live with seemingly the best way to transport my stuff. and fully take on the suggestion to just leave stuff there - take more in one day, and not take anything in the next. Ultimately, even if I remove the pannier, two rides a week with the backpack isnt such a bad giveaway for a nice luggage free evening cycle around london!

bob_c | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a carradice super C SQR slim. If you keep an eye out on eBay carradice sometimes sell seconds - mine is riveted in one section because they weren't happy with the stitching. I think it cost me about £50. It has a large main pocket with a compartment for wallet, keys etc and a central plastic strip on the underside which does a good job as a mudguard.

It's very easy to clip on and off, is incredibly stable and I think it saved around half a kg when compared to my rack/ortlieb/mudguard setup I had previously.

The weight is central and I can't say that I think the bike handles worse with the weight centred higher up than panniers. Recommended!

psling | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm rather cheekily moving this post from another thread because I think The Python  has muddled up his threads...

SuperPython59 [1197 posts] 14 hours ago 

If you're a onerist, put the bag on the left side unless you're bothered it might affect close passes (it shouldn't), this is offset by the drive crank/derailleurs a smidge so the balance thing you're converned about should psychologically ease (Even though a single pannier really wouldn't unbalance you anyway)

Does a pannier bag slow you down, a fraction, if it particularly sticks out beyond your legs then yeah a bit more but personally I've never really thought on a commute or ride out that a pannier bag was holding me back.

I cycled to top of Col de la Forclaz and Col des Montets in the Alps a few years ago when doing a quick two day visit to friends unloading wood to repair their house. At my lightest weight for a fair few years (95kg) and on my 'shopping' bike/commuter still managed to hit 46mph on a max 8% slope on the return back into France and the bags never seemed to hold me up much.

Apologies for the liberty SuperPython.

arckuk | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd consider a backpack such as the Osprey Syncro 15, which I've been using for 2 or 3 years, it's small enough that it discourages you from carrying a spare kitchen sink, but big enough for my day to day needs (lunch, clothes, shoes at a squeeeze, waterproofs and gloves etc). The mesh on the back really lifts the pack off your back so that although a 15 mile commute in summer at a fast pace gets me a little more sweaty than I would be otherwise, it's otherwise pretty much unnoticeable and about the lightest way to carry my load, and has the bonus of not making the bike feel topheavy.

HowardR | 7 years ago
0 likes

A few months ago  I was given a Carradice Nelson (Long Flap) & Bagman support.

In short – It’s impressed me greatly. I can see how it is that Carradice have been producing pretty much the same design for 85 years. Regardless of the fashions that swirl around such things their product(s) just gets on with the job of doing the job of really well.

LastBoyScout | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bindle looks really nice and would be perfect for a trip I'm planning later in the year, apart from the seatpost clamp, which looks terrible. And the price rather puts me off, so I'll be sticking with my drybag on top of a rack, which is more or less the same thing and keeps the weight a bit lower.

I don't think you're insane at all for wanting to get rid of the panniers for what you describe. You'll generally be OK, unless you're out of the saddle, which is when you'll really feel it swaying.

Can you not leave clothes at work - spend the £99 on a spare pair of trousers and/or shoes to keep there?

Limiting factor for me is having to carry a laptop, so prefer to use a rucksack to put it in - bit sweaty, but bearable for the distance I'm doing.

graybags | 7 years ago
0 likes
psling | 7 years ago
0 likes

Why buy another rack when you already have a rack? Use a top bag rather than a pannier bag or, indeed, any bag strapped to the top of your existing rack? Better than a sweaty backpack.

ps I use an Ortlieb saddle bag which, whilst it is quite large, may not be large enough for your requirements.

hoffbrandm replied to psling | 7 years ago
0 likes

psling wrote:

Why buy another rack when you already have a rack? Use a top bag rather than a pannier bag or, indeed, any bag strapped to the top of your existing rack? Better than a sweaty backpack.

ps I use an Ortlieb saddle bag which, whilst it is quite large, may not be large enough for your requirements.

That all sounds very sway-e...

Rack is also not compatible with rack top bag.

ClubSmed | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bike pack solution would be good for your commute but if you do a shop on the way it'll be very lacking (unless you are ok with a rucksack).

tugglesthegreat | 7 years ago
0 likes

No real answers myself but I have a similar issue with doing longer rides back from work during summer.  I usually have a 30l pack on my back and that's ok, sweaty yes.  I had panniers years ago and didn't like them.  The rack alone is quite heavy, so you should be saving weight with a bindle.  I have thought about getting one myself.  I did a bit of bikepacking last summer with  my sleeping system up front and a seatpack, which was ok.  The seatpack did sway quite a bit which was bad but a bindle should stop all that.

Is your commute all on road or will you be doing any off road?

Latest Comments