Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help please

Hi all on Sunday 29th January I was out for my morning ride all was going great nice and sunny and dry roads I was going down a road doing approx 17 mph as I was coming up to a road on my left a car coming the opposite way decided to make a right turn and as a result hit me I was knocked unconscious the accident was witnessed by several people and the police and ambulance where called with me being rushed to hospital on a spinal board and head brace I spent the next 2 days in there my injuries are a fractured right clavicle most of my Teath knocked out and a severely lacerated right ear I must now be off work for the next few months for follow up treatment since my discharge from hospital I have tried to contact the police for information only to be told that the attending officer is on rest days and they will try to get him to contact me when he is on duty next , I don't have the driver details or registration so where do I stand ? Mark

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

fullers1979 | 7 years ago
1 like

Mark

That is great news. Glad it's being sorted for you. 

Python thanks for being a troll. I won't bother getting further involved. I only tried to correct your misconceptions as I was worried Mark may have attempted to follow your flawed advice. 

MARK5292 | 7 years ago
3 likes

Quick update I was contacted by the attending police officer who apologised for not getting back to me sooner (he had been on a coarse) he gave me all the necessary details of driver and witnesses and incident reference number and told me to speak to my insurance company if I had one I spoke to my car insurance company and they are happy to pursue my claims I now am looking forward to making a full recovery and getting back on my bike

fullers1979 | 7 years ago
3 likes

Mark,

Unfortunately coppers are massively overworked and so the attending officer will be the only one who can answer these questions for you. As part of S170 of the Road Traffic Act the other driver has to provide you with his name and address and the vehicle details. He also needs to provide the owners details if it's not him and as you were clearly injured his insurance details. The attending officer should be able to give you these when they are next on duty. Each force has varied shift patterns but I would guess unless they have other commitments the most they should be off is 3 days. They will of course have lots of other things to do and will be a slave to the radio calling them to various jobs. I know that doesn't help you but unfortunately this was clearly a massive thing for you, it won't be for the officer. They would've seen it and a hell of a lot worse many times. If you have their force number you can email them with the following format (force number)@(which ever police force it was).pnn.police.uk. They will most likely be working 24 hours shifts so this maybe the easiest way to get updates. Don't forget though a police investigation has no bearing on a civil one (your insurance if you have any) and the burden of proof is much higher for police than in a civil case. 

Undoubtedly your recovery is going to take some time and any insurance claim and/or any police action will also take quite a while. Please don't expect it to be done in a couple of weeks it's likely to take months. Especially as the insurance companies will want all your medical reports and doctors are notoriously slow in providing this. 

All the best for your recovery mate and get back out on the bike soon. 

Hope this is somewhat helpful to you. 

MARK5292 replied to fullers1979 | 7 years ago
1 like
fullers1979 wrote:

Mark,

Unfortunately coppers are massively overworked and so the attending officer will be the only one who can answer these questions for you. As part of S170 of the Road Traffic Act the other driver has to provide you with his name and address and the vehicle details. He also needs to provide the owners details if it's not him and as you were clearly injured his insurance details. The attending officer should be able to give you these when they are next on duty. Each force has varied shift patterns but I would guess unless they have other commitments the most they should be off is 3 days. They will of course have lots of other things to do and will be a slave to the radio calling them to various jobs. I know that doesn't help you but unfortunately this was clearly a massive thing for you, it won't be for the officer. They would've seen it and a hell of a lot worse many times. If you have their force number you can email them with the following format (force number)@(which ever police force it was).pnn.police.uk. They will most likely be working 24 hours shifts so this maybe the easiest way to get updates. Don't forget though a police investigation has no bearing on a civil one (your insurance if you have any) and the burden of proof is much higher for police than in a civil case. 

Undoubtedly your recovery is going to take some time and any insurance claim and/or any police action will also take quite a while. Please don't expect it to be done in a couple of weeks it's likely to take months. Especially as the insurance companies will want all your medical reports and doctors are notoriously slow in providing this. 

All the best for your recovery mate and get back out on the bike soon. 

Hope this is somewhat helpful to you. 

Thanks Mate for the information very helpful indeed

Sniffer | 7 years ago
1 like

A 'basic' membership with British cycling will still provide legal support.

MARK5292 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Guys
The driver did stay at scene I will give it until Tuesday when the officer is supposed to be back on duty I only have a basic membership with British Cycling.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Just hope driver stayed at scene, gave details.  Call police, or get someone do it for you since you're quite badly injured.  If you're with british cycling contact them also.

dunnoh | 7 years ago
3 likes

I would phone British Cycling and ask for legal advice.

Latest Comments