Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Wheels/dirty dirty roads, bad roads, get to bed.

I am eyeing up a pair of new wheels as I have a odd pair at the moment. I had a rim buckle on the front of a pair of Campy Zondas, and I've issues with the spokes on a pair of Airline (whatevers) that came with my Ribble last summer (not happy, never had spokes break before ever. 3 gone in months on new wheels.)

I am watching these:

http://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/2478375/products/pro-lite-bracciano-42mm-...

I am itching to get them or similar, but my bike is filthy, filthy all the time. There is no end to the mud kicked up every time I ride (on the roads even.) I wouldn't want to cause excessive wear to a new pair before the summer with gritty blocks. I know this happens every year but just when do you think the roads clean themselves up? When would you start riding your summer bike? (Unless N=1 as it does for most normal people.)

Second question: If N=£1100 should 2W=£400? Or in other words, how much should you spend on wheels compared to your frame/bike? I know it is possible to spend thousands on wheels alone, how do you decide to spend? Pearls on swine?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

beezus fufoon | 7 years ago
0 likes

about the same as Sergius - wheels are about 20% of total bike cost - or 4:1 ratio if you separate

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm itching to switch back to my summer steed, I generally wait until March before doing so - and will obviously take out my winter bike if it's been tipping it down.

Just worked it out, on both my bikes I've replaced the wheelsets;  the cost ratio is similar in both cases, N/2W = 2.3

Latest Comments