Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyre/Wheel Size dilemma...

Ok, my Mavic Ksyrium wheels rim surfaces have worn out, uneconomical to repair i am told...

1. I cannot run larger than 23mm tyres in my frame without rubbing.

2. All new wheels are now 17mm internal and not 15mm, all my searching says tyre min is 25mm for a 17mm rim. Will 2mm really be that unstable/a danger etc? I am a 'big' (see heavy) rider, so is this a no-no (23mm tyre on a 700x17mm rim?) or is this just being too silly? I do see people fit 32mm tyres to a 17mm rim so that is a much larger compromise?

Thanks for any thoughts.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

At ksyrium level, you can easily get a pair of wheels handbuilt to your own spec for whatever your budget is.

A decent wheelbuilder will also be able to replace the rims on your ksyriums with something that will be as good as or better than the original.

I build my own wheels and in the last year have used rims with 14, 15 and 17mm internals. 

Slightly wider rims can also make a 23mm tyre MORE comfortable, so I really wouldn't get too stressed about it.

paulrattew | 7 years ago
0 likes

There are still loads of top quality wheelsets that measure 15mm internally, so you should be able to find something good if you want to stick to 15mm. 

23mm tyres will run fine on a 17mm internal wheel. Out of interest, what's the frame? Bit surprising that you can't fit larger than 23mm without it rubbing - aero frame that's a few years old?

kevvjj | 7 years ago
1 like

Have you actually tried to fit a 25mm tyre? My manufacturer states a max of 23mm but I am happily running 25mm Schwalbe pro ones. The only minor issue is removing/installing an inflated tyre. Basically though, I just let some air out, install and then pump up. If I am out riding and suffer a puncture I just need to remember to install the wheel before inflating.

As far as wheelsets go, I believe the Shimano Ultegra 6800 is 16mm internal, 21.3 external rim width.

beezus fufoon | 7 years ago
0 likes

cosmic elite, ksyrium pro sl, and r-sys slr are still 622x15c

ClubSmed | 7 years ago
0 likes

650b wheels could be a possibility to give you bigger tyres depending on your brake setup?

CXR94Di2 replied to ClubSmed | 7 years ago
0 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

650b wheels could be a possibility to give you bigger tyres depending on your brake setup?

Rim brakes hence worn rims.  Another good point, have you considered moving over to disc brakes for a possible new bike, no more worn rims ever?  1

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

It wont make a bit of difference.   Your issue is why do you want to run such narrow tyres(other than frame restrictions) if you're a big fella like me. You will need really high pressures to stop pinch flats and the ride will be quite harsh

May I suggest you think about a different frame/or bike with larger tyre capacity.  There are loads about now, described as touring/cyclocross/gravel bikes.  

I usually use 25/28mm tyres.  I have just bought another set of wheels and will be fitting them with 35mm G one allround from Schwalbe.  These will fit my two road bikes and be used for general riding, training sessions, where speed is not the top priority but comfort,grip and puncture resistance are.  

Latest Comments