Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Custom built vs. Hunt Disc Wheels

Hi guys,

I'm torn apart between custom built vs. Hunts. Primarily, I need relatively robust wheels for road riding. I do lots of miles per year and need something dependable. As benchmark, I used Aksium Discs for 15,000km so far and they served me very well - although they are heavy bastards. Secondly, I want as light as possible given my steel disc machine and want to feel the real difference compared to Mavics. Now, Hope and DT Swiss hubs sound definitely tough and sound like they can last forever.

Here are the options:

1) Hunt 4Seasons Disc

2) Hunt Aero Light Disc

3) DT Swiss RR411 DB with DT swiss Revolution  + Competition (back wheel) spokes + DT 350 hubs

4) Pacenti SL25 with same DT Swiss spoke combo + Hope RS4 hubs

5) Variation of 3) or 4) but with Sapim CX-Ray

Hunt's are around 1585g and 1470g while the custom built options would be in the 1550-1600g range, albeit with better spokes and hubs.

Price is also a factor. 3),4),5) are in the range of 470-600 GBP and Hunts are 370 and 470 respectively.

Is it worthwile going for Hun Aero Light Disc and would I sacrifice robustness in pursuit of lightness?

Thoughts?

O

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

@il sole

You are light :). Laser should be fine for you. I'm easily 10-15kg more than you, often with a pack on my back with additional 5-10kg.

@jterrier

Fully agreed. Red one look nuts - my fav. Orange maybe too...  1

Jimthebikeguy.com | 7 years ago
0 likes

Look around the various wheelbuilders. I iust specced a stans tubeless rim on a novatec hub for 300 quid and couldnt be happier. I was going to go for hope hubs but all the evidence (i.e the fact that hunt and every other builder vouch for novatec) made the 100 pound saving even easier. They look the nuts too in red anodised... And you can run them to any axle standard.

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, Hunt seems to use Novatec hubs. One of their wheel models uses an Anti-Bite Guard insert on the freehub body - sort of a giveaway of the Novatec origins. Not that they're bad hubs, they're actually well reviewed by mountain bikers.

Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
0 likes

http://dcrwheels.co.uk/

Dave will help you out.  He's a very friendly and informative guy.

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

@logomomo

Thanks for the feedback. I think your comment is key for me - Hunt guys basically rulling out Aero Light ones for 4Season use and seemingly suggesting the 4Season ones. Probably, bearing seals are tighter and better along with robustness of the spokes.

@il sole

Interesting that you used Sapim Laser. From what some wheelbuilders told me, those spokes are mostly used in race non-disc wheels applications, as they are very light. Normally, they suggest me rather heavy Sapim Race spokes, D-light (lightness/robustness/price holy trinity sweetspot) or CX-Rays (which are premium).

il sole replied to Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ogi wrote:

@il sole

Interesting that you used Sapim Laser. From what some wheelbuilders told me, those spokes are mostly used in race non-disc wheels applications, as they are very light. Normally, they suggest me rather heavy Sapim Race spokes, D-light (lightness/robustness/price holy trinity sweetspot) or CX-Rays (which are premium).

@Ogi

the wheel builder said I was very light!!! :-):-):-) not sure I really am though... FWIW I'm 72Kg...

il sole | 7 years ago
0 likes

OP - I have some 28hole Velocity Aileron rims with Sapim laser spokes and alloy nipples, with Novatec D711/D712 hubs which were made up for me by cycle clinic in Suffolk.

I use them on my Boardman CX9.8 for winter road use with 30mm Shwalbe S one tubeless tyres... they are absolutely boombproof...donw around 6k km on them without any need to replace anything yet, just a simple service on the hubs...think I paid around £375-400 for them...

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

whittakerwoo, I'd love to use centrelocks but they're a bit pricey when you can use your existing rotors with the adaptors which is what I did. I've never weighed mine but people, and reviews, tend to say Hunt are very honest about the weight. It's also interesting someone described theirs as 'smooth'. I have to agree, mine replaced a set of Aksiums which I always found very harsh, the Hunts are a much nicer feeling wheel. Both pairs of wheels are laced the same so I've no idea why this might be sad.

logomomo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Went with a set of Hunt 4Seasons Discs last year and dont regret buying them for a minute - smooth rolling, pretty light, strong, plus included tubeless valves and a host of disc adaptors plus thru axles, spare spokes, spoke tool etc. Make sure you get the right adaptors for 12x142 thru axles and you're golden.

The guys at Hunt seem really friendly and responsive - they recommended against the Aeros for me as i intended to use the in wet and dry conditions. I get the feeling that if i had any issues with my purchase, they'd bend over backwards to help.

Claimed weight seems about right but really for me it was about the feel when riding and they seem tight without being crashy.

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys. I was not aware of the Novatec hubs used in Hunt's wheels. Apparently 611/612 for 4Seasons and 411/412CB (carbon fiber) straight pull versions for Aero Light. I think the two go on up the range as well (carbon rims). This is something I found out today.

Not sure about the rims, but Kinlin could be it. PSR are spokes and nipples apparently.

To be honest, even though I was told Novatec is perfectly fine...Hope and DT sound a lot better. Sure it's all more expensive (DT Swiss/Sapim vs. PSR) etc., but I think I'll def. go on with the custom built ones.

Thanks guys!

bendertherobot | 7 years ago
2 likes

You'll know with Hunt. Prob Novatec hubs, Kinlin rims and (whatever) spokes. They're quite happy to tell you if you ask. 

And, of course, they are still handbuilt

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
1 like

At least if you get handbuilts you will know exactly what components you will be getting for your money. 

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got Hunt 4 Seasons disc on my summer bike and the cheaper Hunt rim brake wheels on my winter bike. Couldn't be happier with them.

whittakerwoo replied to StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

guyrwood wrote:

I've got Hunt 4 Seasons disc on my summer bike and the cheaper Hunt rim brake wheels on my winter bike. Couldn't be happier with them.

guyrwood, I'm looking at the same wheelset for my Giant Defy Disc, did you go for Centrelock rotors or use adapters to work with 6 bolts? And do they weigh their claimed of 1585g? Thanks, Alex

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've just ordered (but not yet received) a set of the Hunt 50Carbon Aero Disc wheels.

I'm a weekend cyclist for the most part so not commuting on them, but I did a fair bit of shopping around before deciding on the Hunts.

- LBS handbuilt, would have been £1400 for their own-brand deep section rims + DT Swiss 240s + build/spokes etc.  Estimated weight of around 1400g.

- Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon Disc Road Wheelset 2017, around £900 and weighs 1770g

- Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL T Disc Road Wheelset 2017, around £1500 and weighs 1540g

Most of the other wheels I found were into the silly money price bracket (Enve, HED etc).  I know this is a different use-case, but the Hunts weigh up very favourably on both price and weight when you are considering deep-section aero disc brake wheels; and I've yet to see a bad review of anything they've produced.  Not ridden them yet though of course.

graybags | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hunt certainly seem to have a strong following and get good reviews and clearly take their brand image very seriously, but have you considered having wheels built for you. I have just specified a set from DCR Wheels (http://dcrwheels.co.uk/) and have been impressed with the knowledge and feedback from the principal.

kev-s | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just to throw a spanner in the works

Have you looked at Novatec cxd disc brake wheels, 1500 grams, tubeless ready, j bend spokes so replacements are easy to find (wheels come with 2 spares as std) also comes with qr, 12mm & 15mm axles and various end caps so all bases are covered if you upgrade your frame & fork later on

Had mine for 2 years now and they have done 10'000 miles in all weathers as they are on my work bike (approx 100 miles a week)

In that time the real wheel only needed to be trued once for a small buckle

Can be bought for £300-£350 depending on what shop you use

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/novatec-cxd-clincher-disc-brake-wheelset-road/

hsiaolc | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have both 1 & 2. 

Have 4 season Disc for a year. Ran for a year on 27 round trip commute 3-4 days a week in central london area as well. Still perfect and true. 

So happy with 1 so I went to buy 2 the aero disc for my new bike.  So far so good and I am happy. 

Latest Comments