Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Please Help... Stolen - Canyon Ultimate

I know it's a stab in the dark but I'm trying every avenue where good bikes are on view, Or bits are needed for them. My son received his new canyon ultimate bike 3rd of January. He was beyond thrilled. He went off to a training camp for a week and the night after he came home he took his bike back to Glasgow to commute between Tollcross and Strathclyde twice a day, with the intention of insuring it that week. He had only ridden this beautiful machine three times. It was a dream to ride. On Tuesday afternoon (17th January) it was stolen from Strathclyde University while he was in at labs. If anyone tries to sell a Canyon Ultimate or parts for it please, please let me know. (07969547998)It was My son's pride and joy, bought himself through Working hard lots and lots of hours and with months of saving up. Money is not easy to come by for him nor myself and this bike is so important in his training. He does not go out clubbing or drinking, sport is his thing. It's so important in his training and for his twice a day commute. 
Jenni McFadzean 
Canyon Ultimate: 
black frame with red lettering, handle bar tape and red fizick seat, 
- shimanno ultregra groupset (and a small B&M XXI rear light. Garmen was attached.)
His bike Had been double chained but this was not a deterrent. Police are looking at cctv footage 

Please share. He had only just gotten it so it was not insured and there is no way he can afford another one.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

alansmurphy | 7 years ago
1 like

Another potential thing to do is actually post on Gumtree looking for a bike - I have done this before and the charlie that took it tried to sell it back to me!

Post a wanted add for high quality bikes or parts, Cervelo, Specialized, Canyon etc. best prices paid. You never know!

ex_terra | 7 years ago
6 likes

If the bike was paid for by credit card it will be insured against theft for the first three months automatically.

I didn't know this until someone told me when my bike was stolen then day after picking it up. My credit card company paid up without delay after I gave them the crime reference number.

hsiaolc replied to ex_terra | 7 years ago
0 likes

ex_terra wrote:

If the bike was paid for by credit card it will be insured against theft for the first three months automatically.

I didn't know this until someone told me when my bike was stolen then day after picking it up. My credit card company paid up without delay after I gave them the crime reference number.

Thats great to know!!  The power of internet!! I wish I knew that 5 year ago when my bike got stolen!!!

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
6 likes

A shit bit of luck there. Hope it returns somehow. 

I'm more amazed that Bristol Bullet's first piece of advice was grammar. That'll sort matters out!!?!

Jenni McFadzean | 7 years ago
1 like

Thank you for your advice Mat, I'll go ahead and do that.

I agree with you 'bikeylikey' that it sure is a tough lesson, but one that'll ensure our Andrew takes all the advice on board to foil the thieving b@$tard$. And yip an old, heavy run-around like he has will certainly build muscle and work cardio. :0)

Bikeylikey | 7 years ago
2 likes

Horrible for you and your son. I had my first really good bike stolen from outside Bristol University swimming pool forty years ago and was so traumatised I've been obsessively careful ever since and never had another bike stolen. Mostly by following the kinds of advice given above.  I only ever leave locked up and out of my sight an old rusty commuting bike bought for £30 and used for only this purpose. Even then I lock it with a gold rated lock and have anti-theft bolts on the wheels instead of qr levers. Plus it's as good or even better training than a good bike, as it's heavier and generally harder to ride. And what enhanced joy it is to get on to a good bike afterwards.

Commiserations and the best of luck in retrieving it.

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
4 likes

Register it as stolen on Immobilise.com and on BikeRegister.com

The police have access to the BikeRegister.com database so if they do find a bike they can match it with the owner.

Good luck with your search - it's a really disheartening time for you.

Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
2 likes

It's gutting to have your stuff stolen by low life scum who deserve very unpleasant consequences. My sympathies and best wishes for the return of the bike.

As for future advice...if you want it...

1. Locks are fine but the thieves are quite willing to glue /disable them and come back later after you have given up trying to free your bike, cut them off, cut through the thing you chained it to, or just nick components.

2. Seriously, if you have to leave a bicycle in a public place just leave something that you wouldn't be too fussed about losing and keep the good bike for special occassions.

It should not be this way, people should not steal, security should be better. This could be a life lesson that turns out to be better value than he might feel about it right now.

4 likes

Yip, granted it was naive of my son to take bike to start using it uninsured, but surely the finger pointing and shaming should be directed at the thief. Bottom line of common descency is YOU DON'T TAKE WHAT DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU!!!! It's a real sad state of affairs when folks can't ride a good bike to make a commute, combining it as a part of his heavy training  and make it a pleasurable, productive experience without fear of the bike being stolen when you turn your back. Where has morality gone when there are no qualms in stealing what has obviously taken someone else a lot of time working and saving to achieve ? Personally I could not live with myself if I sank as low as thieving from others, maybe I'm old fashioned with engrained values of common descency .

I know I'm clutching at straws hoping to find this bike intact,  but I'm hoping. My son and I are scouring gumtree, preloved, Ebay etc... adding post to various forums, contacting every cycle shop in a massive radius, contacting police auctions, looking round pawn shops, but I'll keep looking. 

Point taken about locks. Although he had 2 very good locks, I now know there are superior locking systems with alarms, tracking devices etc... to try and outwit the thieving low life.

PS paperwork does have all the details of frame etc...

hsiaolc replied to Jenni McFadzean | 7 years ago
1 like

Jenni McFadzean wrote:

Yip, granted it was naive of my son to take bike to start using it uninsured, but surely the finger pointing and shaming should be directed at the thief. Bottom line of common descency is YOU DON'T TAKE WHAT DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU!!!! It's a real sad state of affairs when folks can't ride a good bike to make a commute, combining it as a part of his heavy training  and make it a pleasurable, productive experience without fear of the bike being stolen when you turn your back. Where has morality gone when there are no qualms in stealing what has obviously taken someone else a lot of time working and saving to achieve ? Personally I could not live with myself if I sank as low as thieving from others, maybe I'm old fashioned with engrained values of common descency .

I know I'm clutching at straws hoping to find this bike intact,  but I'm hoping. My son and I are scouring gumtree, preloved, Ebay etc... adding post to various forums, contacting every cycle shop in a massive radius, contacting police auctions, looking round pawn shops, but I'll keep looking. 

Point taken about locks. Although he had 2 very good locks, I now know there are superior locking systems with alarms, tracking devices etc... to try and outwit the thieving low life.

PS paperwork does have all the details of frame etc...

I've had my bike stolen before and I know how it feels.  Firstly sorry to hear that and you shouldn't give up hope on finding your bike because there are good ending stories but do prepare for the worst. 

D locks and super chian can only do so much and it only matter of minutes they can cut it with a machine cutter.  There are a many advices in other bike forums in in general we wouldn't recommned getting a prestine, sought after, expenisve bikes to be chained or locked outside.  It is a very sad fact but for school communte it is best to get banger that no one wants to even touch. 

Again so sorry to hear such a sad story.  

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
2 likes

Strange that no-one tipped him off that you can't leave an expensive bike outside the house.

It's all very sad in more ways than one.

Woodsman | 7 years ago
9 likes

Sanctimonious & a pedant.  Nice combo. 

barbarus | 7 years ago
13 likes

Hope he gets it back. No point in lecturing him after the event over the internet via his mum.

Leviathan | 7 years ago
8 likes

Such a beautiful beast shouldn't be left outside, especially not without a D-Lock. Get your son a commuter/hybrid/mountain bike for uni, a cheap one to get him back on the road. Fingers crossed, sometimes you get lucky (or crowdfunded.) He still has plenty of time for another Canyon in the future [I'm 40 and my Canyon has been two years away for the last five years.]

brooksby replied to Leviathan | 7 years ago
3 likes

Leviathan wrote:

Such a beautiful beast shouldn't be left outside, especially not without a D-Lock. Get your son a commuter/hybrid/mountain bike for uni, a cheap one to get him back on the road. Fingers crossed, sometimes you get lucky (or crowdfunded.) He still has plenty of time for another Canyon in the future [I'm 40 and my Canyon has been two years away for the last five years.]

So sorry to hear that the bike has gone, almost definitely to someone who won't appreciate it.

But I agree with Leviathan here - a student at university is probably better off with a bit more of a beater rather than a shiny new road bike.

I'm afraid you're unlikely to get the bike back unless you're very lucky, so next time I'd get your son the shiny road bike but keep it at home for the holidays and get him a cheaper hybrid or similar as a runabout.

I really hope you get it back, but...

PS - Bristol Bullet *is* being a nasty person, and I'd probably take their advice on board whilst ignoring completely the tone of said advice.

The Rake replied to Leviathan | 7 years ago
3 likes

Leviathan wrote:

[I'm 40 and my Canyon has been two years away for the last five years.]

you should never believe what Canyon customer services tell you....

Bristol Bullet | 7 years ago
0 likes

Oh the poor lad has had his bike stolen, so sorry to hear that. Have the Police found the bike ? No ? Fat lot of good sympathy did then. Hopefully my pearls of wisdom, if followed, will improve his chances of keeping his next bike for longer than a fortnight. 

Point taken re Gold standard chain. If a stash of bikes is found would the Police accept ownership on the basis of a photograph? The bike's frame number would help but I doubt the lad would've written it down, it might be on the paperwork that came with the bike though.

gonedownhill | 7 years ago
18 likes

Nothing like a bit of sympathy for a naïve young lad, Jesus.

Bristol Bullet | 7 years ago
0 likes

1. It's "He had only just got it ..." not "He had only just gotten it ..."

2. The FIRST thing you do is insure it. How long had you/your son been waiting for the bike to be delivered and in that time you did feck all about insurance.

3. "bike had been double chained ... "  Ever heard of bolt croppers ?  A Gold standard U lock / D lock is an absolute must, lock frame (and a wheel if lock is large enough) to a solid fixture and secure other wheel with a security cable attached to the main lock. Be prepared to lose your saddle and seat post unless you also secure these.  You'll need a rucksack to carry your locks in, and if you moan about the weight of it all then catch a bus and leave your pride and joy at home. 

Carton replied to Bristol Bullet | 7 years ago
2 likes

Bristol Bullet wrote:

A Gold standard U lock / D lock is an absolute must, lock frame (and a wheel if lock is large enough) to a solid fixture and secure other wheel with a security cable attached to the main lock. 

A gold standard chain is just as good. As in, it is also not in any way going to ensure the safety of an Ultimate SLX around any Uni's environs. 

It is faint hope, but every once in a while the police find will catch someone with a few stolen bikes. I hope that happens here.

davel replied to Bristol Bullet | 7 years ago
13 likes
Bristol Bullet wrote:

2. The FIRST thing you do is insure it. How long had you/your son been waiting for the bike to be delivered and in that time you did feck all about insurance.

3. "bike had been double chained ... "  Ever heard of bolt croppers ?  A Gold standard U lock / D lock is an absolute must, lock frame (and a wheel if lock is large enough) to a solid fixture and secure other wheel with a security cable attached to the main lock. Be prepared to lose your saddle and seat post unless you also secure these.  You'll need a rucksack to carry your locks in, and if you moan about the weight of it all then catch a bus and leave your pride and joy at home. 

I expect he knows all this stuff now - learned it the hard way. You can change behaviour.

If, however, you're the kind of joyless prick who revels in others' mistakes and misfortune in anonymity on a forum while contributing nothing - that's ingrained. Good luck changing that, you pointless, miserable twat.

To the OP - it's a long shot, but bikes occasionally do turn up on ebay and gumtree etc, especially if the thief has realised this is worth a few quid and not just flogging for a ton down the juicer. They might brake the parts up so keep any eye on frames for sale too. Have a word with the local bike shop to see if they know any other sites used by locals/scum flogging nicked bikes.

Dropped replied to Bristol Bullet | 7 years ago
12 likes

Bristol Bullet wrote:

What a thoroughly nasty piece of work you are. If you have nothing constructive to say to a genuinely distressed fellow cyclist why don't you just fuck off. Twat.

veseunr replied to Bristol Bullet | 7 years ago
4 likes

Bristol Bullet wrote:

Your point 2 is a question. Please do not correct other's grammar without using correct punctuation and always use question marks. And you are a twat.  

hsiaolc replied to Bristol Bullet | 7 years ago
1 like

Bristol Bullet wrote:

Disgraceful comments.  Nasty human being and makes my blood boil.  

What comes around goes around and you will get what you deserve one day. 

2 likes

My son's bike ... or was :0(

Latest Comments