Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon couldn't organise a pxxx-up in a brewery.

I feel the need to share my recent frustrating experience of dealing with Canyon, partly as a warning to those of you who may be thinking of giving them some business and partly to try and shame them into getting a grip.

In early December last year I bought two pairs of glasses in the Canyon pre-Christmas sale. They arrived safely, and having tried them on I immediately returned one pair (at my expense and after obtaining a Canyon returns number) as they were too darkly tinted for my needs. I forwarded Canyon details of the return and was assured of a refund as soon as they arrived.

Several days later in the sale I managed to buy a pair of Cosmic SLE wheels and a spare cassette. The package arrived just before Christmas, but only contained a single front wheel and the cassette. Canyon didn’t volunteer any explanation regarding the missing wheel; I had to contact them after Christmas to find out what had happened. Evidently they had failed to keep a proper stock inventory and didn’t actually have enough rear wheels to fulfill my order. It hadn’t crossed their minds that having ordered a PAIR of wheels I might not actually want just a single front wheel. So I then had to facilitate the safe return of the wheel and cassette. Again, I was assured of a refund as soon as the items were returned. (They had been generous enough not to try and charge me for the rear wheel.)

Fast-forward several weeks and despite several emails to Canyon UK there was still no sign of either of my refunds.

When my credit card bill arrived this week it was apparent that Canyon had failed to take payment for the two pairs of glasses, and failed to refund me for the pair I returned. The result of which was that I owed them £117.95 .

They had taken payment for the front wheel and cassette, but then failed to refund me when I returned these items. The result being that they owed me £278.89 .

The net result of this mess is that Canyon owes me £160.94, which Canyon UK has agreed is correct. If that were the end of the matter I would not have troubled anyone else with my tale, but it isn’t.

The jokers at Canyon UK are asking me to pay them £117.95 + £6.98 delivery charge for the pair of glasses I kept, before they will refund me £278.89 for the front wheel and cassette they stupidly sent out and I had to return! Their explanation is: “we need the funds in the manner suggested as we have been audited for them and the funds need to properly relate and be attributed to each of the separate orders involved. If they had of been on the same order then there would be/have been no issue with us automatically refunding the difference.”

Given the obvious shortcomings they have demonstrated in dealing with my two orders and subsequent returns, I am certainly not going to give them a single additional penny. I have told them that, at this stage in view of the trouble they have caused me, the fact that they want to (try to) keep their accounts straight is not my concern. They should simply issue me with a net refund of £160 and then try and resolve the obvious chaos in their organization at their leisure. I have given them until the end of this week before I see if my credit card company would like to take the case on, failing that I’m going to issue a European Payment Order.

This experience has been a real eye-opener for me. I’d read other peoples experience of being on the receiving end of crappy customer service from Canyon but always brushed it aside and thought that I would probably order my next bike from them. Well there’s no danger of that now.

If anyone from Canyon is reading this; you know what to do!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

macrophotofly | 7 years ago
0 likes

Advise your Credit Card Compnay that the company did not provide the goods / services and you want the amounts disputed under the 1974 Credit card act. Only applicable if you paid by credit card rather than debit card. 

bauchlebastart | 7 years ago
0 likes

It seems with Canyon everything is directed from Germany and the UK guys act almost as a intermediary.

Took the plunge and ordered a Canyon last Oct. The bike was delivered within a week, but had a couple of small issues. Sorting these out took a while as Canyon UK has to liase with Germany. One replacement part came directly from Germany while another was delivered to Canyon UK and then on to me.

Not long after purchasing they reduced the bike price by 10% which they promply refunded after I emailed them. The process of refund was a little strange as it didnt go back onto my credit card as I had assumed. I had to give them the BIC and IBAN codes of my bank account for a direct funds transfer, again this was all via Germany.

Overall I'm pleased my my purchase and the level of service I recieved from Canyon UK

Penny_Lane_Cyclist | 7 years ago
0 likes

I did hear bad things about Canyon service but really wanted one of their bikes.
I bought an Endurace CF 9.0 Disc last Thursday.
It arrived yesterday (6days). Can't really ask for better service.

Milkfloat | 7 years ago
0 likes

Stories like this make me glad that Canyon messed me around for 9 months with lies and incompetence and that I never got the bike I ordered.  I think I would have been getting myself further in a hole.

Griff500 | 7 years ago
1 like

Quote OP "The jokers at Canyon UK are asking me to pay them £117.95 + £6.98 delivery charge for the pair of glasses I kept, before they will refund me £278.89 for the front wheel and cassette they stupidly sent out and I had to return! Their explanation is: “we need the funds in the manner suggested as we have been audited for them and the funds need to properly relate and be attributed to each of the separate orders involved. If they had of been on the same order then there would be/have been no issue with us automatically refunding the difference.”

Absolute Bollocks. Any half brained company accountant could isssue a credit note to clear off the first order, and refund you the difference. Creates a perfectly auditable trail for both orders. Secondly, they are acting illegally: Even if the £117 were subject to dispute, under UK contract law it is illegal to hold back more than the disputed amount.

PaulBox | 7 years ago
1 like

It's not all bad, I know somebody whose payment was never taken on a nice new bike...

srchar replied to PaulBox | 7 years ago
0 likes

PaulBox wrote:

It's not all bad, I know somebody whose payment was never taken on a nice new bike...

I know someone who paid over £4,000 for one nice new bike, but was charged over £8,000. Two nice new bikes arrived.

Canyon refunded him for the additional bike and said they would arrange a courier for its return. That was at least a year ago. My mate still has two bikes.

I'm told that their woes are the result of a botched migration to a Sage stock control and accounting system.

Grumpy17 | 7 years ago
1 like

Unbelievably incompetent. Is there any other online bike retailer as bad as Canyon? I doubt it.

For God's sake people, buy elsewhere.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
4 likes

Spoke to Canyon at the start of the week. Wanted oval rail clamps for the missus' bike. Guy said no problem, and emailed me an invoice to pay for one (£20 delivered!). Checked email and said thanks to the chat guy, I recieved the invoice. Then asked him how long it'd take.

No word of a lie.

Like seriously, not kidding you.

He said they don't have any.

DrJDog replied to tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

unconstituted wrote:

Spoke to Canyon at the start of the week. Wanted oval rail clamps for the missus' bike. Guy said no problem, and emailed me an invoice to pay for one (£20 delivered!). Checked email and said thanks to the chat guy, I recieved the invoice. Then asked him how long it'd take.

No word of a lie.

Like seriously, not kidding you.

He said they don't have any.

I think it took about 3 months to get mine. Still haven't fitted 'em mind you. They did only send me the invoice when they were in stock, which was nicer.

Latest Comments