Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Box Alan on BA

Has anyone recently taken a Bike Box Alan on a BA flight of Heathrow?  It looks like it may just be bigger than the the stated dimension allowances so I was wondering if there is any experience to go on.  Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

planitearth | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've flown 5 or 6 times with BA recently, both within Europe and to Asia. No problems at all on the size front. I don't remember them ever weighing it either. They do 'ask' the weight. The bike is treated like any other piece of luggage in terms of your allowance.

I was once coming back after an event in Sweden and there were A LOT of bikes (around 20 and mainly in BBA boxes). At first they said that they were over booked so I reluctantly used my "I'm a BA gold card holder" line and they found space. But the moral of the story is that if there are likely to be lots of other bikes because of an event, notify them in advance.

mikecassie | 7 years ago
1 like

I've flown BA from Aberdeen via LHR and there was no issues at all using a BBA, except the extra charge as I'd hold baggage too.  I've also flown Jet2 a couple times and they've been fine with my BBA.  I'll be using them again in a few days, Tenerife it is again  1

The only issue I've had flying with a bike box is when arriving in Ibiza and getting a taxi large enough to take me, the girlfriend, the BBA and our bags.  Most just drove past and ignored me, took about 30mins until I got one 'willing' to try fitting it in.  

graybags | 7 years ago
1 like

I borrowed a mates BBA for a flight to Mallorca last year but he is a frequent flyer on BA to New York and has had no problems and apparently dosen't pay extra for it, bonus of business travel I guess !

srchar | 7 years ago
1 like

It'll be fine. You'll have to take it to outsize baggage after checking in, but it'll be an airport employee who puts it on the belt, not a BA staffer.

Besides, BA made a massive hoo-ha about flying our Olympians back from Rio. I'm sure I saw photos of some of them wheeling Bike Box Alan's through arrivals. Print out and wave proudly in the face of any jobsworth who challenges you.

zedthegreat | 7 years ago
1 like

Hi

Not exactly the same, but I taken a Polaris box onto BA last June. Had to take it to the oversize baggage drop off where it was weighed, but taken straight through with no questions asked. If I recall it was just bang on the size / weight limits (by my measurements).

Obviously there is no gaurantee that there won't be a jobsworth on, but hope that helps.

Cheers

Latest Comments