Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Looose bottle cages need a fix

Hi Folks,

I have a carbon frame which has two bottle cage positions, which is normal enough, the fixing into the frame have both come loose so the bottles and cages are wobbling around. The frame is getting on a bit so its not a warranty issue with the manufacturer but needs a fix. 

I have been told that there is a tool which can be used to re mushroom the fittings that are there. Has anyone any idea what this is and where to get one.

Only other option is a very expensive fix at a carbon frame repair outfit.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

DaSy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I used to do lots of these for customers, its an easy job.

The most difficult part can be drilling the old one out, due to it being loose it tends to want to just spin on the end of the drill. You only want to get the flange off the outside to allow yourself to push the rest into the frame.

If this is the ones on the seat-tube then all is okay, as the old rivnut body will come out of the top of the tube once you remove the seatpin. If it is the downtube, you may well have an issue, depending on the type of frame and whether you have access holes through to the head-tube or bb shell. If you don't, be prepared for an unsolvable rattle for the rest of your frames life!

I use a big drill bit and slowly drill in so that you take off the material at the junction between the flange and the tube of the nut going into the frame. Go very slowly and once it looks thin enough, just peel the flange off with some fine pliers.

Setting the new nut is easy, just like a pop-rivet.

These cheap sets from Machine Mart are fine, and have enough M5 rivnuts to do a few frames included.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/tool-connection-nut-riveter-40-nut-rivet...

upinthehills | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for all of the helpful suggestions. I have something to try which I will do tomorrow or maybe Wednesday.

If it works I will let you know.

cheers ali 

Tjuice | 7 years ago
0 likes

Pretty sure there's a video on Youtube covering exactly this.  I stumbled across it at some stage and made a mental note to find it again because I have a loose bottle cage fixing on one of my bikes.

Type "fix bottle cage mount" into Youtube - there are a few useful-looking videos

upinthehills replied to Tjuice | 7 years ago
0 likes

Tjuice wrote:

Pretty sure there's a video on Youtube covering exactly this.  I stumbled across it at some stage and made a mental note to find it again because I have a loose bottle cage fixing on one of my bikes.

Type "fix bottle cage mount" into Youtube - there are a few useful-looking videos

Cheers will do that thing.

upinthehills replied to upinthehills | 7 years ago
0 likes

upinthehills wrote:

Tjuice wrote:

Cheers will do that thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkTxYsdzo0I

I think that this will do the trick. I had looked at the tool to do the job and had been thinking of a way to do it without the cost. That I think is the way. Will have a go tomorrow. I think that if you were doing this to a carbon frame it would worth doing the allen key tightening with a torque wrench as this will at least limit the torque and prevent crushing the frame. 

I think that will do it and will post how succesful it was if indeed it is. Thanks

dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

Nutsert fitting tool.

Some bike shops have one (Putney Cycles did mine). 

It's best to get it sorted out sooner rather than later as the rattling around can actually wear more of the frame away, and create a bigger hole which may need a proper repair.

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

Helicoil might be the way to go. 

upinthehills | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have had a scratch around and found some links to a rivet insert tool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633942-Threaded-Rivet-Insert/dp/B01N...

which was suggested on another thread. I thinkk that perhaps a combined effort of some glue and re tightening may do the trick. The frame is a on one dirty disco which is about three years old and it gets a hammering but I don't really want to do any damage or I would have to start again.

If this go doesnt work then I may concider leaving the ones on that are there and fitting 4 more in slightly different loacations. Can't see why that wouldnt be a perfect job again.

hennahairgel | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at this article. Cheap fix http://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/spinning-rivnut-530762.html

upinthehills replied to hennahairgel | 7 years ago
0 likes

hennahairgel wrote:

Have a look at this article. Cheap fix http://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/spinning-rivnut-530762.html

cheers 

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

If the frame is that old, you could probably just superglue the bolts into the frame (Not superglue the bottle holder to the frame, just the bolts into the metal screw female fitting).

Depends how expensive a frame and how long you expect it to last you really...

Latest Comments