Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New wheelset Boardman cx team 2014

After much deliberation I have decided to keep and upgrade my Boardman cx. Looking for a new wheelset at about 200 quid. I was looking at the wiggle cosine at 180 but they are no longer for sale. There are new one in the pipeline apparently. Do any of you have any recommendations? Used for commute so road orientated heaver rider crap roads. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

As a fellow 2014 CX Team owner I have looked at a few options

1. Handbuilts: If you ride up to 35mm tyres H+ Son Archetypes can be built into something fantastic. If you ride fatter tyres, there are several good rim options that can be laced up to eg Novatec disc hubs for under 200. The XM 319 rims that come with the bike are actually pretty good...
  2. Rebuilts: Take the XM319 rimmed wheels you already have and swap the truly rubbish oem hubs for Shimano  XT (M756A) which will last forever and can be used with the exsting spokes. This should cost less than 100 quid including the services of a proper wheelbuilder. I have done this myself and its more than worth it. You don't save much weight but you get a very good wheelset out of it.

There are also a myriad of machine built options although the Cosines look to be discontinued rather than out of stock.

I've just built my 3rd set of Archetypes (2 rim brake sets and 1 disc for the CX) and I fully understand why places like the Cycle Clinic recommend them so highly... they build up very easily and are utterly bombproof in higher spoke counts. You can get the spoke tensions very very consistent very easily which makes for a longer lasting wheel.

ClubSmed | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Fulcrum Racing 5 LG Disc Brake Wheelset are around £230

Have you considered getting them on the cycle to work scheme and then you can make a bigger saving as it's tax free as well as spreading the cost interest free over 12 months. The altered the terms of cycle to work last year so bike parts can be bought through it.

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have the same bike.  Seriously considering a set of the Hunt 4 Seasons at £369, but after a £200 upgrade spree last year I need to do some more miles on the road to justify it first  1

Ed999 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I also have a 2014 Boardman CX Team and upgraded the wheels to the Cosines. It has really improved the ride and dropped a significant chunk of weight. I'd recommend waiting till the new version of the Cosine comes out.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/wheels/disc-brake-wheels#price_min=100&price...

If you're heavy and ride on crap roads surfaces, up the tyre size to 30,32,35,38 or 40mm, fit 28 spoke 3 lace pattern as a minimum.  Very limited range at the price limit you set.

Latest Comments