Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Keeping at it

There's a lot about our sport/hobby that can be somewhat intimidating for new cyclists to become involved.

Anyone considering getting into cycling has to consider the costs involved, whether they will stick at it, and of course, whether they will like it at all.

Many think that they'll give it a go and pop down to a large cycling department store and pick up a bike for a few hundred pounds.

This makes perfect sense, considering there are so many unknowns.

However, it seems that very often people are put off cycling by the kit itself.  It's perceived as expensive, with many of the cheaper bikes being either very heavy, spec'd with very poor components, or a combination of the two.

Being unfit and getting onto a heavy bike is not likely to encourage you to keep using it.  It's hard enough pulling a body along, yet alone a heavy bike.

However, lighter bikes are more expensive, and if you end up spending more what happens if you don't like it?  You're left with something expensive in the shed, or you can sell it and lose money.

We've been pondering this conundrum at Swanky HQ and thought we'd see what perceived "risks" someone new to the sport would consider.

We've started with the financial risks and put what we think to be the solution next to it.

Would you add your tuppence worth to it too please?

Q: It's my first bike, I don't want to spend much money

A: Get one that's discounted

Q: If I get a cheap one it won't be a very good one

A: If it's discounted and from a reputable brand you'll get a much better quality bike in the first place

Q: What if I don't like it and don't keep it up?

A: Sell it or gift it.

Q: If I sell it, won't I lose lots of money?

A: If it's already discounted, and a current model year bike, your losses will be minimal.  If it's a quality bike, it'll be much easier to sell as well.

Q: If I like it and want to get a better bike what will I do with this one?

A: Keep it as a Winter bike or sell it and use the money towards the new one.  If you keep it, then the money you've saved off your first bike can go towards the new one.

Q: How will I know that I'm getting the best bike for me?

A: Either go to your local, recommended bike shop or give us a call  3

Over to you.......

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

londoncommute | 7 years ago
5 likes

You are kind of spamming now with all the adverts/posts.

Latest Comments