Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Navigation

Hi

I am looking to buy a Garmin (or similar) and one of the main points I want is navigation. Suiting my need seems to be either a 5xx series or a 8xx series (not the new 820 though, too expensive, so an older 800 / 810).

Can anyone tell me definitivly what the 510 / 520 is like for navigation? I don't need the fancy route builders, but proper nav is important.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

alansmurphy | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you're near a couple of Aldi's have a look if they have the 810 in their magic glass cabinet. One of the Aldi's close to me had a couple in at £140 and one a mile away had them at £169. Bit annoying that they're different prices but both cheaper than you'll find elsewhere...

HowardR | 7 years ago
0 likes

For me - Ye olde Garmin Edge 200 (available for about £65) and it's bread crumb trail works well enough.

The plus points are:

It's easy to follow.

A long battery life.

A clear display.

From my experiance it's reliable - and cheap

The down side is that once you've started on your downloaded route you have to follow it from start to finish...... or else your lost.

If you can't find an Edge 200 I think that the Edge 20 has the same functionality in a smaller (slightly more expensive) body. 

zedthegreat | 7 years ago
0 likes

Fantastic - that cleared it up. Good tips on the DC rainmaker too, that was very clearly written and explained the differences well.

Thanks all

davel | 7 years ago
0 likes

If it's only navigation you're after, Garmin do the Touring which is a stripped-down 810 I think. It's designed for touring so has navigation, route planning, speed, distance etc. The Plus version connects to a HRM. But that's it. The basic version is usually £150ish.

However, if you're looking to connect it to other sensors (eg speed, cadence, power meter) or might want to use it for some training metrics too, or even think you might want to in future, avoid the Touring. It fit a niche with me as I already had a multi-sport watch that does all the ant+ and training stuff I'll ever need, but when I got more into riding I wanted something purely for satnav for new routes.

If you're looking for something to do satnav and sensor integration/training metrics, and you're set on Garmin (I've no experience with other makes), and won't stretch to an 820,then yeah: looks like an 810.

Stratman | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've used an 800 for years, but I create the route on ridewithgps or bike route toaster, and don't let it recalculate.  It works fine like that

I second the DC rainmaker comment, great reviews, and I found scarletfire a good guide to setting up the Garmin

AKH | 7 years ago
0 likes

I own a 520. It doesn’t do proper navigation (i.e. select a destination on a map and calculate and display a route for you to follow).

DC Rainmakers site is the best I’ve found for info and comparisons of the various Garmin models.

His review of the 520 is here

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/garmin-edge-520.html#mapping-included

kevvjj | 7 years ago
0 likes

810 minimum for good navigation

spongebob | 7 years ago
0 likes

not good

Latest Comments