Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mason bikes as good as we are told?

Hopefully somebody who has a Mason bike will be able to say whether they are as exceptional as the reviews suggest.

The situation is that I like them and would buy one if it weren't for the fact that we have a cycle to work scheme with Evans cycles that due to my tax circumstances amounts to a discount of around £650 and on top of that we have a discount scheme which would get me a further 10% off the balance at Evans.  So I'm finding it hard to justify not going to Evans which is pushing me to a Specialized Roubaix or a BMC Road Machine or a Trek Domane.

This would make a Mason bike relatively even more expensive for me so I can't decide if they are sufficiently better than the Evans options to justify foregoing the savings.  Can anybody offer an opinion?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

steady lad | 6 years ago
1 like

By the way I ended getting up a Specialized Roubaix the entry level one (elite I think).  I like it very much and am happy with it after 1000 miles. Cheers

HowardR | 7 years ago
0 likes

"or get the missus to drive alongside handing out musettes" - Simontuck

Now there's an idea!

Simontuck | 7 years ago
2 likes

SO much petty bickering on here nowadays.

The simple answer is, it depends what sort of rider you are. If you will covet and polish your bike and service it yourself and only ride in the dry, then invest in a machine with gorgeous paintwork and bespoke welds and monogrammed chainlinks. If you just want a bike that's nice to ride, won't get laughed at, and can then be shoved in the garage without washing after a wet ride because you got home later than expected and the missus is expecting you to go to B&Q and get YOUR kids out of her hair, and you're happy to let a time-poor mechanic with a queue of people wanting punctures fixed loose on it, then buy the cheaper bike that won't be as pretty but from the cockpit will function almost exactly the same, and you won't lose too much sleep if it does get a tiny scratch where you stupidly put a tri bag on the top tube once because you thought it would be handy for snacks (it's not, they're stupid and catch your knees, use your jersey pockets or get the missus to drive alongside handing out musettes).

Chris James replied to Simontuck | 7 years ago
0 likes

Simontuck wrote:

SO much petty bickering on here nowadays.

etc

Spot on. I'm a mechanical engineer and have a very practical view of bike design. Most frames are made with geometries that are extremely similar to each other, using similar materials with similar wall thicknesses. So they basically ride pretty much the same.

However, workmanship, quality of finish and selecting your own finishing kit are all things that can be appreciated. It all depends on how much this mean to you.

Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
0 likes

Spent a lot of time riding one though so I'm quite OK to comment on it given that I have real world experience of the product.  If you spent more time thinking outside of the box and taking off your blinkers then you'd probably get somewhere in life instead of being a fourth rate internet troll.  Nice try though.

rjfrussell | 7 years ago
4 likes

Surely once you get past a certain price point many (most?) people buy bikes with the heart, rather than the head?  I would have thought that at the Mason price level all bikes are very very good-  so you chose the one you love?

steady lad | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice.

A test ride would be the best thing to do but I live in Sheffield and we have two young kids so would struggle to find a full day to go down to Brighton although its not impossible I guess.

Cheers

gmac101 | 7 years ago
1 like

I don't have a Mason but I have recently bought a Kineses T2 frame which I understand Dom Mason was involved in the design of.  I moved the wheels, groupset, finishing kit (excluding brakes)etc from my previous frame a Specialized Allez only changing the tyres from Vredsteins to some Michelin Pro 4's.  I only did this because I was getting fed up with the lack of mudguards on theAllez for commuting but the change in the ride quality is amazing. The bike now deals beautifully with all the lumps and bumps and those potholes that i used to wince when I hit the bike just absorbs them with very little vibrations, the contrast with the Allez is quite marked. If he's got better at bike design I imagine the definition is a wonderful bike to ride

ChrizM | 7 years ago
2 likes

I've got a Mason Definition, and there is no doubt it is a beautiful frameset. The craftmanship is superb and it rides as well as a carbon Canyon Endurace, its both stiff and fun on twisty descents whilst not being harsh on the delightful British tarmac. The attention to detail is great: mudguards fit properly, treaded BB, neat cable routing, smooth welds, and sharp graphics. I love mine, and wouldn't change a thing on it. 

However, I'm not sure anyone buys one purely on price, so you've got to value the craftmanship and extra design over a mass market bike. My observation when choosing mine was that the fully assembled builds offered no savings on sourcing the parts, and building it yourself. Not surprising as Mason aren't big, so won't have the OEM pricing the likes of Trek, Spesh, and Cannondale will have, and it's hand assembled in the UK. I sourced my parts myself online and spent 5 evenings building it, which saved me a couple of hundred on the fully assembled version of similar specification. 

You might find it works out econmical to buy something like one of Evans' own brand disk frames under C2W scheme, and transfer the components over the Mason frameset. 

Mason customer service is exceptional too, drop them a line and they'll help you with the decision.

Swiss | 7 years ago
1 like

ALTERNATIVE - You could buy the mason with your own money and use the cycle to work voucher on a load of kit for you and the bike.

Kadinkski | 7 years ago
2 likes

No offence, but surely you understand that 99% of the answers you get to this question are going to be from people that do not actually own a Mason, right? Honestly, do you expect the consensus to be anthing but 'don't bother'?

If you're interested in one, go for a test ride, speak to Dom - there ye shall find the answer to your question.

Then go to Evans and test ride a Trek or whatever. Its not rocket science.

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
5 likes

Just buy one that's a nice colour.

peted76 replied to Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
2 likes

Duncann wrote:

THIS... then polish it a lot.

nowasps replied to Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

But if you get a nice blue one, after about eighteen months the nice red ones start to look a lot more interesting.

kamoshika | 7 years ago
1 like

Why not get in touch with them, see if you can take one for a test ride, and decide for yourself?

Dr_Lex replied to kamoshika | 7 years ago
2 likes

graham_f wrote:

Why not get in touch with them, see if you can take one for a test ride, and decide for yourself?

This is what I did; Dom couldn't have been more helpful, despite being crazy busy just before Christmas. It rode wonderfully and I now need to sort out placing an order.

(I won't get into the confirmation bias debate, but I certainly would be happy to order kit from someone so committed to making great bicycles)

steady lad replied to Dr_Lex | 7 years ago
0 likes

Dr_Lex wrote:

graham_f wrote:

This is what I did; Dom couldn't have been more helpful, despite being crazy busy just before Christmas. It rode wonderfully and I now need to sort out placing an order.

(I won't get into the confirmation bias debate, but I certainly would be happy to order kit from someone so committed to making great bicycles)

What bike did you ride? And how long did you get it for?  I live in Sheffield so Brighton is a long way!

drosco | 7 years ago
1 like

I think madcarew's point was that looks and prestige aside, there's not a lot to distinguish any reasonably priced frame with similar groupset and wheels. Would a Mason be better to ride than a Cannondale CAAD12 for instance, then probably not. The original question was whether they were significantly better, not significantly more desirable.

Simon E replied to drosco | 7 years ago
5 likes

drosco wrote:

The original question was whether they were significantly better, not significantly more desirable.

This is like asking a disparate group of guitar players whether a vintage Les Paul is "significantly better" than an inexpensive copy. Some will think not, others will say it's apparent but not worth the money and a few will insist that, not only is there a significant difference, but that they'll willingly spend a big wodge of money to be able to use it.

Each of those opinions is equally valid and the product of the individual's experience and expectations.

I'm not suggesting a Mason bike is like a '59 Les Paul or that other brands are copies or inferior, it's merely to illustrate the different perceptions have when comparing outwardly similar products.

Carton replied to Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

drosco wrote:

The original question was whether they were significantly better, not significantly more desirable.

This is like asking a disparate group of guitar players whether a vintage Les Paul is "significantly better" than an inexpensive copy. Some will think not, others will say it's apparent but not worth the money and a few will insist that, not only is there a significant difference, but that they'll willingly spend a big wodge of money to be able to use it.

I know a few musicians and sound techs, and I've never heard someone insist that any vintage electric guitar was significantly better than a modern copy (I've heard some griping about materials on newer lower-end guitars, though).  More desirable, sure. But I remember a couple of conversations about it being mostly a along the lines of "this guy brough this really cool vintage guitar that was a PITA to set up" and even "we ended up not using it".

For my money MadCarew in his usual rambling way made several good points, as did Scrapples, Swiss, and Graham. I'd personally go probably go with the BMC if it agreed with me. But why not check out the Mason in person if you're really tickled about it.

Simon E replied to Carton | 7 years ago
3 likes

Carton wrote:

I know a few musicians and sound techs, and I've never heard someone insist that any vintage electric guitar was significantly better than a modern copy (I've heard some griping about materials on newer lower-end guitars, though).

Ah, but sound technicians aren't the ones paying for the instrument and playing it every day. Also, some musicians are more hung up on very specific aspects of build and sound than others.

I'm sure there are many people that appreciate a vintage guitar purely for the kudos but there's more to a fine instrument than appearance. A friend of mine does repair and machining work for classical woodwind musicians and the range of tiny tweaks and modifications they request is quite amazing. Violin players don't put themselves in debt for a Stradivarius simply because it's old.

Carton replied to Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

Violin players don't put themselves in debt for a Stradivarius simply because it's old.

Violins seem to be a "better" example. But that also seems to be more about looking for a specific sound than an altogether "better" one. 

And I certainly don't find any fault in paying for a specific sound or look or feel. I think "ride quality"  and "fit" are more than just geometry and compliance (though those seem to be a good starting point). So I think I'm in the consensus in both saying that while he is unlikely to find Mason to be the best value-for-money proposition given his specific situation, the OP should try to ride a Mason and find out for himself.

peted76 | 7 years ago
3 likes

I've never ridden a Mason, however having read Stu's review and subsequest blog posts on the bikes was quite taken with the idea of them.  Following that I met Stu (he's a well grounded fella) and saw his Mason in real life. It truly is/was a thing of beauty. 

Worth a revisit ....

http://road.cc/content/news/143527-exclusive-first-ride-mason-progressiv...

http://road.cc/content/blog/154029-building-definition

I'd class the Mason bike range to be bikes for life, not just for Christmas. 

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
3 likes

I have a GT Grade Tiagra, its a very nice bike - I bought it last September for £564 from Chain Reaction. Upgraded the Crank so it was all Tiagra, and planning on getting some hand built wheels for about £300 as the ones it comes with are a bit crap and the spokes have broken on the back wheel.

My brother in law just finished building up a "rolling Chassis" Mason Bokeh. It is stunningly well finished. Dom Mason himself communicates with you on how your frame is being delivered from Italy. He fitted it with Ritchey flared bars, and a 105 groupset with Hydraulic brakes, Schwalbe g-ones, and Hunt wheels, Fabric saddle.

The finish of the frame is flawless, one of the nicest frames I have ever seen, iit comes fitted with a bolt in every hole, so you know the holes are not full of paint overspray.

It does ride very, very nicely, stops on a sixpence. He asked Masons advice on fitting SKS longboards, and Dom himself again gave him lot of advice.

His build cost about £2500, mine will be about £1000.

His is probably half a kilo lighter than mine.

They are both really nice bikes, but his is a lot more "special". Although I'm sure you would be more than happy with a GT Grade, but if I had the money, i'd have had a Mason. Maybe for my 40th I might get a Resolution.

2 likes

As you wish.

"They're only as good as their marketing." - Utter tripe and anybody knows this to be completely untrue.  Argonaut, as an example, do very little marketing yet produce bloody fantastic bikes (I don't own one before it's brought up!).

"So far as performance goes, there is almost nothing they can do to make them as comfortable to ride as a carbon frame, however, if their design and manufacturing is top notch, they will still be very comfortable and pleasant to ride." - Again, aluminium & steel has come a very long way and both are now extremely comfortable to ride.  With the ability to fit wider tires at lower presssures these day, comfort is improved tenfold.  Alu frames are not the harsh old gates they used to be.

"Be definition they are trying to cover a lot of ground and so their performance and handling is going to be compromised to some extent compared to the best in any particular niche they are being compared against." - They're not sold as a bike with a sole purpose but as a bike for all seasons and have been desgined as such.  The performance & handling won't be compromised as such as it's been designed & engineered with the 4 seasons use in mind.

"Their wheels are by Hunt wheels and so will perform as well as any other bike with hunt wheels." - Please. The impression given here is that you can put Hunt wheels on a Halfords special and it'll ride identical to a Mason as a result.

"Personally I feel that anything north of 2 grand is ego money, or for those after the last tiny percent of performance in their particular area (personally I ride a Cannondale Supersix retail 5 grand, but I race it well and often)." - I'm not entirely sure what to make of this - £2k is ego money but I ride a £5k Cannondale.  What's your point?  You like spending more as it fuels your ego? One-up-manship?

"Don't kill yourself to get a Mason because it says it's brilliant, because it won't be any better than any other bike of similar cost." - Then why spend £5k on a bike which performs no better than a £2k bike as per the post above?  Consistently good reviews and user feedback go a long way to showing how good the Masons actually are. 

1 like

madcarew literally has no idea what's he banging on about.  Disregard everything he's said. .

turboprannet replied to Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
2 likes

Rapha Nadal wrote:

madcarew literally has no idea what's he banging on about.  Disregard everything he's said. .

I'm not defending madcarew's view but if you're going to say people should disregard their views you ought to give a reason why.

Johnnystorm | 7 years ago
1 like

Buy a nicely spec'd bike from Evans that you can swap the bits from to a Mason if you decide you can't live without one.

Kendalred replied to Johnnystorm | 7 years ago
1 like

Johnnystorm wrote:

Buy a nicely spec'd bike from Evans that you can swap the bits from to a Mason if you decide you can't live without one.

This. If you end up getting an Evans deal on something then love it so much you loose interest in the Mason, then great - if you still think to yourself 'wish I'd have got the Mason, even though it cost more', then swap components and flog the old frame. I've seen some of the Masons in an LBS near Windermere in Cumbria, and they look awesome! Had I not bought a custom Rourke steel frame 18 months ago, I'd be severley tempted!

steady lad | 7 years ago
2 likes

Thanks everyone.  I think you are all right and i'll get something from Evans, not in a massive rush so I think I'll wait and see which of those bikes goes on sale first and combined with the other savings get a bargain hopefully.

Just remembered that Evans allow you to return the bike for up to 30 days apparently, not for refund but for exchange for an alternative.

Cheers

Pages

Latest Comments