Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

praxis works alba 48-32

Folks

I might be getting a new Roubaix Elite (the entry level one), it comes with a 50-34 praxis alba chainset.

I'm tempted by the idea of changing it to the praxis alba 48-32 featured on this website today.  The logic being that I even if I was worn out at the end of a long ride I'd still be able to ride up anything with a 32-32 gear.

Are there any compatibilty issues that I might not have thought of?  I'm intending to just put it on, lower the front mech a bit, maybe shorten the chain and away I go. I assume there will be no front shifting issues but i'm not certain...

Thanks for any help.

Adam

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

steady lad | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ok thanks all, if i do get that bike I'll stick with the 50-34 for starters at least.

Cheers

Carton | 7 years ago
1 like

It's a braze-on FD, so height might be an issue, and chain drop thus a concern. I'd ask the bike shop for their take. If you're keeping the old set I'd definitely try for the 46, seems a little more worthwhile. 46-11 is still a bigger gear than an old school 52-13.

. . | 7 years ago
1 like

I'm not sure it's worth it.   My lowest gears are 34/32 on one bike and 34/34 on the other, admittedly slightly heavier, one.   I'm hard-pressed to tell the difference.  Either way I'm defeated by certain  local hills.

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
1 like

Can't see how there would be - it's still a 16t jump, and only 2t smaller rings, so not like the difference in mech cage curvature you might see between a MTB (44t max) and a standard road cage (53t max). But maybe others know different...?

steady lad replied to Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

Can't see how there would be - it's still a 16t jump, and only 2t smaller rings, so not like the difference in mech cage curvature you might see between a MTB (44t max) and a standard road cage (53t max). But maybe others know different...?

Thanks, I was thinking along the same logic myself.

TypeVertigo replied to Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

Road front derailleurs can still handle a 46/36T cyclocross chainset, so as far as big ring curvature is concerned a 48/32 won't be a problem. At least that's the case with my 105 5700 unit.

With a 46/36 crank the tail of the cage is pretty far away from the big ring though.

Ultimately your main concern should be the amount of travel your front derailleur mount/adapter has. It should be able to go low enough to accommodate your desired set of chainrings, be it a 48 or 46. On a band-on front derailleur this shouldn't be a problem.

Latest Comments