Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultegra DI2 on 2017 bikes

Does anybody know if new 2017 Ultegra DI2 bikes will come with the new battery as standard (the new battery that is bluetooth compatible and also is necessary for synchronised shifting)

I can't seem to find anything on the internet about this despite some furious googling.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Wullie7933 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Guys apologies for jumping onto the thread.  I have an issue with my dura ace di2 7970, this is the first generation Dura ace di2 set up and is 10 speed, it is in immaculate order however I have shifting issues with the rear mech, the junction box is flashing 2 red lights 5 times, on reading into this it apears to be a firmware issue, this requires a Shimano interface that is only compatable with the first generation di2 set up.  I have scoured the lands looking for said interface in order that I can conduct a diagnostic check on the gearing set up, however to no avail.  Does anyone out in Road.CC land have or know where I could source an interface in order to conduct said diagnostic checks.  Thank you in advance for any information 

stub | 6 years ago
0 likes

I bought an Ultegra 6870 groupset a couple of weeks ago and it came with the BT-DN110 battery rather than the older SM-BTR2 battery.

For synchro shifting the newsr BT-DN110 battery is required (or the new external mount) as the poster above describes. Once you have that battery and the latest firmware installed then you can set up the synchro shift and semi synchro shift modes.

i have the inline d-fly which is the actual Bluetooth/ant+ antenna. This allows you to change settings through the E-tube project app. This unit isn't necessary though, you can program it via the E-TUBE pc software connected to the SM-EW90 junction like before.

I was slightly surprised my kit came with the new battery but I'd imagine Shimano haven't bothered making the older battery for a while. My RD was manufactured June 2016, so read into that what you will as to when the kit was put together and what the stock levels were at the time.

Chesterroadie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just to drop a spanner in the works, the latest Di2 battery is not a 'dumb' unit, it now has the addition of a flash memory that is used to store setup and shift synchronising data , so it is required along with the new d-fly unit to facilitate the newer features on 9150. I'm sure at some point this will lead to ultegra picking up the new features 

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
1 like

I will be using an XT crankset.  I dont tend to worry about downhills weighing 95KG  1

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

It seems that Shimano are allowing road and MTB to be joined together now. I will be using Di2 hydro road shifters with Di2 XT derailleurs on my new bike. The only thing you can't do is mix derailleurs, both MTB or both road not one of each.

steady lad replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

It seems that Shimano are allowing road and MTB to be joined together now. I will be using Di2 hydro road shifters with Di2 XT derailleurs on my new bike. The only thing you can't do is mix derailleurs, both MTB or both road not one of each.

Interesting, what frame are you building? And what size gears are you planning on?

CXR94Di2 replied to steady lad | 7 years ago
0 likes

steady lad wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Interesting, what frame are you building? And what size gears are you planning on?

Kinesis Tripster V2 Ti.  I will be using 40/28 with XTR 11-40 cassette.  XT Di2 derailleurs front and rear.  The bike is primarily for mountain climbing, but will also be my casual tourer/sportive bike.  I have done quite a bit of practical research using my kickr trainer, backed up with gear calculators. The setup will allow me to ride on the flat with road tyres at 25mph and climb 20% inclines whilst spinning 85+rpm.  I dont need to go any faster for sportives.  I will have two sets of wheels, one set will be 38mm tubeless, the other 25/28mm Tubeless road tyres.  For general riding I will proably run 11-32 cassette.

steady lad replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

[/quote]

Kinesis Tripster V2 Ti.  I will be using 40/28 with XTR 11-40 cassette.  XT Di2 derailleurs front and rear.  The bike is primarily for mountain climbing, but will also be my casual tourer/sportive bike.  I have done quite a bit of practical research using my kickr trainer, backed up with gear calculators. The setup will allow me to ride on the flat with road tyres at 25mph and climb 20% inclines whilst spinning 85+rpm.  I dont need to go any faster for sportives.  I will have two sets of wheels, one set will be 38mm tubeless, the other 25/28mm Tubeless road tyres.  For general riding I will proably run 11-32 cassette.

[/quote]

Ok sounds great, what crankset will you use?

I've converted my specialized tarmac to 1 x 10 with 42T front and 11-32 back. In general its brilliant although 42 x 11 is not quite fast enough for some scenarios. I thought it'd be fine but on long gradual downhills I do spin out.

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
1 like

"Are you saying that in 2018 it will be possible to update Ultegra firmware to enable synchronised shifting?"

I cannot speak for what Shimano will or will not do for 2018. It may be just firmware updates, but it may also entail firmware update(s) along with new mechanical upgrade(s). Since Shimano doesn't leak news ahead of production release dates, we just have to wait and see.

steady lad | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ok thanks for clearing that up I must have got mixed up. 

Are you saying that in 2018 it will be possible to update Ultegra firmware to enable synchronised shifting?

cheers

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Synchro shifting comes with XT and XTR setups aswell.

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
2 likes

I feel a little Di2 clarification is needed. Shimano Di2 is controlled by the EW90 junction box - which is mounted under the stem. Battery charging is done through the EW90. The battery in itself is a dumb piece of equipment, it does not communicate with any protocol language (Bluetooth, ANT), provides only the necessary charge.

Shimano EW-WU101 Wireless ANT+ unit adds Bluetooth so you can customize your drivetrain and update firmware right from your smartphone or other Bluetooth equipped device via Shimano's E-Tube Project Wireless app. Take a free spin around e-Tube Project and learn how it works.

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/

As far as Ultegra Di2 full Synchronize Shifting in 2017, only DA comes with it. In 2018 more than likely we will see this trickle down to Ultegra.

macrophotofly replied to VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

VeloUSA wrote:

I feel a little Di2 clarification is needed. Shimano Di2 is controlled by the EW90 junction box - which is mounted under the stem. Battery charging is done through the EW90. The battery in itself is a dumb piece of equipment,

I am afraid that is no longer true as others have posted. It is now necessary for some of the new features. I also suspect it has been introduced to combat the use of non-Shimano Batteries (although you can still use them; just not get the new features).

I realised the change when I went to buy a battery for an existing setup in Japan  late last year and there were none available. I was advised a new model supporting a list of features would be out shortly and saw the batteries coming into the shops from Autumn time - the new battery being sold listed the new features (so not a Shimano secret)

BTW you have been able to use MTB bits with Road bits of Di2 (apart from a FD from one and a RD from the other) for quite some time. For instance I always hated the design of the EW90 junction box and have been using the MTB junction box (which has a great display and sits behind the bar causing no air disturbances) instead with the rest of the ultegra Di2.

You can also use Alfine bits with either, as long as you understand the pluses and minuses. There is a chart available on the Shimano website which provides all the info -

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pdf/en/HM-CC.3.0.0-01-EN.pdf

watlina replied to VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

VeloUSA wrote:

I feel a little Di2 clarification is needed. Shimano Di2 is controlled by the EW90 junction box - which is mounted under the stem. Battery charging is done through the EW90. The battery in itself is a dumb piece of equipment, it does not communicate with any protocol language (Bluetooth, ANT), provides only the necessary charge.

Shimano EW-WU101 Wireless ANT+ unit adds Bluetooth so you can customize your drivetrain and update firmware right from your smartphone or other Bluetooth equipped device via Shimano's E-Tube Project Wireless app. Take a free spin around e-Tube Project and learn how it works.

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/

As far as Ultegra Di2 full Synchronize Shifting in 2017, only DA comes with it. In 2018 more than likely we will see this trickle down to Ultegra.

The above is complete rubbish.

The main processor for Di2 is in the same package as the battery. The only requirements for Syncro-Shift are e-Tube and the newer BT-DN110 Battery (and the latest firmware for RD and FD). The SM-EW90 is nothing more than a junction box with a switch. The BT-DN110 Battery has been the only one avalible new for several months now.

The firmware to enable Synco-Shift on any combination of both 6870 Ultegra and 9070 DA came out on March 10th 2017 with the RD and FD version 3.0.0 firmware. It had been promised by Shimano at the launch of 9100 in June 16 for older versions of Di2 to be ready for Nov 16 but obviously took a bit longer to refine. I'm currently running a FD-9070 and RD-6870 GS to give me a Compact 34-50 front and 11-32 rear. It was all DA but I put the Ultegra RD and 11-32 on last year when going to the Alps and ended up leaving it on as it works so well 

You don't need the Bluetooth/ANT+ module as you can change setting via the e-Tube software but if you have either the EW-WU101 or EW-WU111 then you can use the app on your phone or ipad which makes it a lot easier. Once you add a Bluetooth module all firmware updates can be via the phone app as well.

I've also got rid of my SM-EW90 from under the stem and fitted the new EW-RS910 bar end version. It looks neater and it makes it easier to change syncro-shift mode on the fly with a press of the button if you want to.  You can still do it with an SM-EW90 but it's harder to see the lights. 

Because I have R785 hydraulic levers with only one e-Tube port each I used the new EW-JC130 Y-Cable to make a neat job keeping all the wires internal to my Specialized Aero-fly bars. 

Latest Comments