Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Equilibrium decade n+1?

Cat amongst the pigeon time!

Decided that this year I am going to sell my croix de fer custom build(725) as the frame is just a bit small, I plan to do a few 100-200 mile rides this year so want to buy/build a steel light tourer/audax bike. I have a trek emonda sl5 for climbing duties and a genesis vagabond for knocking about on but would like a more comfort based long distance alternative. Now I decided on getting an 853 frame built by Brian rourke which would stretch me financially but from what I've heard would prove a bit special.  Then I came across the Genesis equilibrium Decade discounted to 599 pounds at Edinburgh cycles. It looks a lot of bike for the money and seems to be built to suit what I'm after.

Do I snatch the bargain or hold on for the rourke? Any experiences or advice from equilibrium/rourke riders would be great also if anyone has ridden either as well as a croix de fer for comparison that would also be a great help. Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

moorsey72 | 7 years ago
1 like

The Plunge has been taken!!!  Booked in to get fitted for an 853 frame with Brian Rourke.  After much deliberation and a 'lifes too short' moment of clarity i convinced myself (and my very understanding other half) that it was the the right choice.  Now obsessing over components, trying to keep things cost effective so probably based around silver 105 groupset (started dreaming of campy chorus before reality kicked in) and ritchey wcs bar/stem/seatpost.  Also got a couple of ideas for colour schemes but will have to see what the cost implications are. 

Thanks again for all the great input

climber replied to moorsey72 | 7 years ago
0 likes

moorsey72 wrote:

trying to keep things cost effective so probably based around silver 105 groupset (started dreaming of campy chorus before reality kicked in) and ritchey wcs bar/stem/seatpost. 

Dont forget Potenza, comes in silver....

moorsey72 replied to climber | 7 years ago
0 likes
climber wrote:

moorsey72 wrote:

trying to keep things cost effective so probably based around silver 105 groupset (started dreaming of campy chorus before reality kicked in) and ritchey wcs bar/stem/seatpost. 

Dont forget Potenza, comes in silver....

I know, sorely tempted by that option should the budget stretch a bit. Also seen a used athena carbon 11 groupset for less than £300 which has got me thinking

moorsey72 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Exactly the kind of comment that makes me want follow my heart to see Mr Rourke. I can't deny the equilibrium would no doubt be a great bike and more than good enough for someone of my ability (or lack of!), and the temptation for a quick fix is still nagging in the back of my mind.  Currently a six month waiting list for the Rourke which will undoubtedly be worth the wait, decision time looming. Thanks for the great advice

Kendalred | 7 years ago
0 likes

I think with a Rourke made from 853, you would be getting a lighter frame, a custom made geometry (with an in depth consultation) and you'll get to spec it with exactly the components you want - rather than be dictated to with a full build. Those are the plus points.

The negative is the cost (compared to the Genesis) - the frame alone would cost £1k plus. I love my 853 Rourke (with Mavic Krysium and Sram Force), but it was a case of saving up for ages and waiting for around 8 months for it to be built. For me it was worth the wait and the expense - I'll probably ask to be buried with it!

moorsey72 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Lovely looking bike graybags.  bob Jackson site down at the moment but will try again later.

How do you find veloce? I only have shimano on my bikes (105, tiagra, alfine and alivio) but love the look of campag groupsets and if I don't go for the decade I like the idea of building a bike using a silver groupset but find shimano cranksets ugly.

graybags | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at The Bob Jackson website, I have one of their frames, pretty inexpensive and rides beautifully

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Genesis is an excellent deal - if it's the right bike for you. Difficult to judge that.

I've a 725-framed Genesis and I like it a lot. I've been riding an older (and admittedly cheaper) alu framed thing recently and while it's OK, it just feels less comfortable and accomodating than the Genesis.

moorsey72 replied to Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

The Genesis is an excellent deal - if it's the right bike for you. Difficult to judge that.

I've a 725-framed Genesis and I like it a lot. I've been riding an older (and admittedly cheaper) alu framed thing recently and while it's OK, it just feels less comfortable and accomodating than the Genesis.

Thanks for the feedback, think I'm gonna have to do some serious thinking,  my love for genesis combined with this great deal is putting up a strong fight.  Think a test ride is the only answer, heart is still fighting my wallet for the rourke though

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

If it fits like a glove and has virtually all the features you want, why wanted you go for the bargain?

moorsey72 replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

If it fits like a glove and has virtually all the features you want, why wanted you go for the bargain?

I suppose I have it in my head the custom build rourke will guarantee me comfort and it's obviously a life bike scenario. However I do love genesis and this deal on the equilibrium seems too good to miss, just would like owners insight into either/both that's all.

srchar replied to moorsey72 | 7 years ago
2 likes

moorsey72 wrote:

it's obviously a life bike scenario

I'm on my third "life bike". Something else always comes along. Bear that in mind if cost is a factor.

Latest Comments